Force Roaming Between Access Points

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-02 18:47:22 - last edited 2019-07-03 06:05:52
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi I have three EAP 225 access points in my house. When i connect directly to an access point initially and do a speed test im getting really good speeds e.g 400Mbs plus. However, if i move to another part of the house this drops, not surprisingly. However, even if there is another access point in that part of the house it doesnt seem to connect to it and stays connected to the first AP. I have fast roaming and force disassociation activated. However, to get the same high speed in the second room i have to disable the wifi on my phone and reconnect. Any ideas?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Force Roaming Between Access Points
2019-07-03 06:27:39 - last edited 2019-07-03 06:29:46

Hi, I had a similar problem when I first installed my EAP system. Which band are you connected to? If you are using the same SSID for both bands then it is possible that you are actually moving to 2.4ghz and since the signal strength is sufficient some devices will not roam effectively. The best way I found was to lower the strength of the signal on all EAP's. Especially on the 2.4ghz band. Try to ensure they are not overlapping too much. It took some trial and error and lot of aimless walking around my house but it seems to work well now. 

EDIT. also make sure you are on the latest firmware for both the EAP and the controller.  

Options
Re:Re:Force Roaming Between Access Points
2019-07-03 06:52:05

Thanks I will try that. I have different ssid for 2.4 and 5hz, but every thing is set to high transmission 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Force Roaming Between Access Points
2019-07-10 01:41:36 - last edited 2019-07-10 01:42:20

I've found if you do not set the loadbalancing up correctly you get crappy performance.

Use load balancing to set the level to have the access point boot you, I use -77 for 5ghz and -83 for 2.4 (but some ap's I use -78 for 2.4)

I run one ssid for both bands and have all the roaming stuff turned on also.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Force Roaming Between Access Points
2019-07-10 07:21:02

Personally, I had to stop using the load balancing due to some devices being rubbish at roaming. Some devices would be kicked but never roam therefore constantly reconnecting to the weaker signal and being stuck in a cycle of disconnecting. This problem may be specific to the devices I was having problems with so could work fine for others. Sonos speakers and Ring security cameras were the worst for it. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5634

Replies: 4

Related Articles