coupling switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

coupling switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
coupling switches
coupling switches
2019-07-07 08:00:34
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have 2 switches and would like to create a single vlan across the 2 switches, using 28 ports from switch 1 and 6 ports of switch2?

Do I have to buy SPF cables for that (and how much)? Can I do It using copper cable?

Regards.

Options
1 Reply
Re: coupling switches
2019-07-07 10:20:17 - last edited 2019-07-07 10:23:13

Do I have to buy SPF cables for that (and how much)? Can I do It using copper cable?

No. You can use any port and cable (RJ45 copper, SFP/fiber, SFP/copper) to connect two switches together. If the second switch is a managed switch too, you can share any VLAN(s) among selected ports. If the second switch is an unmanaged switch, you can also share a VLAN over all ports of this second switch (but only one VLAN).

To share a VLAN on two managed switches, define the two ports you use to connect the switches as a tagged port and as a member of the VLAN(s) to be shared. This makes the ports so-called »trunk« ports. Then make any other port of the first and the second switch a member of the VLAN it should be part of (so-called »access« ports if they are only assigned to one VLAN).

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 649

Replies: 1