Problems with setting up my topology

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-02 09:26:03 - last edited 2019-08-05 05:42:22
Model: EAP115  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

having big problems setting up my topology.

What i want to do

Set up an EAP115 along with a EAP110-Outdoor together with a switch and a Huawei Mobile LTE Router (There is no fiber connection or similar available where i am).

I have reset and plugged both APs to the switch. The router is also connected to the switch. Omada controller is installed on my Dell XPS15 9560. I need guidance on the steps i need to follow now to set this up. I want the main wifi to be setup by one of the access points, while the router only provides internet access.

Problems

I tried connecting to the EAP110, and thats possible. However when trying to adopt it in Omada Controller, it fails to adopt and says wrong password. Admin Admin does not work, even though the AP is reset.

Connecting to the EAP115 does work (sometimes?), however i am not getting a proper local ip adress with my laptop, even though its set to DHCP. When connecting to the router wifi which im currently using, i am getting a proper local adress.

So i am having trouble both adopting the APs to the Omada Controller. Question is, is this even the right approach? Am i missing something?

Please help, i have already spent 6+ hours trying to set this up with no success.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Problems with setting up my topology
2019-08-06 02:01:11

Hi @Luangwa ,

From your description, it should be related to the network topology. 

You install the Omada Controller on the Dell, please connect the Dell to the switch directly, then please ping the AP on this PC to have a try.

By the way,  please upgrade the firmware to the latest verison, we often add some new features and fix some bugs on the new firmware. 

If it still has problem, you can use a photo to describe the network topology, which will be helpful for us to analyse the issue.

Hope this is useful to you.

Options
2019-08-06 08:24:34

The main root problem seems to be with the EAP115 V2

I am using the EAP115 V2 300 Mbps

I have tried all my cables i have yesterday and even when i connect the EAP to the regular power supply with its own power cable, it will not work with any cable other than the 1m cable. Not to speak of trying PoE and the PoE injector. Firmware is up to date on all my devices.

I am getting losses over and over when i check the port statistics while a cable longer than 1m is plugged in and i am not able to ping the EAP115.

The rest of the topology works just fine and as expected. I have especially used the port statistics on the TP link switch to find out more about the cables and setups. They are all perfectly fine, just when plugging a cable longer than 1m to the EAP115, it will not work. Unpingable and constant losses with the cable.

In the picture above, Port 7 is the EAP115 connected with a 20m cable and its own power supply. Every time i hit refresh, it either switches from link down to 10mbps and back again. Not getting a connection at all. The cable is perfect, i used it with my laptop getting 1000full all the time.

Options
Re:Re:Problems with setting up my topology
2019-08-08 01:47:31 - last edited 2019-08-08 01:48:24

Hello @Luangwa ,

From your description we can know that you install the Omada Controller on the Dell PC, and you connect the Dell PC wirelessly. We recommend you to connect the Dell PC to the switch via an Ethernet cable, because when the Omada Controller is installed on a wireless laptop, it may not be unstable. 

By the way, what's the version of your Omada Controller? And please try to ping the EAP on the Controller host to check the connection.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Problems with setting up my topology
2019-08-13 01:01:33

katychouli wrote

forrest wrote

Hello @Luangwa ,

From your description we can know that you install the Omada Controller on the Dell PC, and you connect the Dell PC wirelessly. We recommend you to connect the Dell PC to the switch via an Ethernet cable, because when the Omada Controller is installed on a wireless laptop, it may not be unstable. 

By the way, what's the version of your Omada Controller? And please try to ping the EAP on the Controller host to check the connection.

I have reset and plugged both APs to the switch. The router is also connected to the switch. Omada controller is installed on my Dell XPS15 9560. I need guidance on the steps i need to follow now to set this up. I want the main wifi to be setup by one of the access points, while the router only provides internet access.

Now you have connected the AP and router to the switch, then please connect the Dell PC to the switch via the Ethernet cable (Don't connect the Dell PC wirelessly). 

Then you should be able to see the AP on the Omada Controller and you can manage them successfully.

Options
2019-08-13 07:54:04

To perform the first time set up i would try as Forrest suggests by connecting your laptop wired to the switch/router. If your laptop is connected via WiFi on the EAP there will be problems if the EAP reboots, the controller will lose connection and not be able to control the EAP when it comes back online. 

I had problems with adopting EAP in the beginning due to some issues I believe are related to some IP bug, they would connect to the controller then disappear and could not be discovered again until I reset them. How are you assigning the ip to the EAP, fixed via controller?

I use DHCP reservation on my router to assign the EAP IP. In the controller configure the 'fallback ip' settings for each EAP to mirror their DHCP reservation, including the fallback gateway. 

Good luck!

Options
2019-08-13 09:09:06

Thank you for adressing the issue with using the Dell Laptop wirelessly vs. on an ethernet cable.

However, that is not the root cause or issue here. I have tried setting everything up with the laptop connected via cable and still the issue persists with the EAP115.

Options
Re:Re:Problems with setting up my topology
2019-08-15 01:03:31

Luangwa wrote

Thank you for adressing the issue with using the Dell Laptop wirelessly vs. on an ethernet cable.

However, that is not the root cause or issue here. I have tried setting everything up with the laptop connected via cable and still the issue persists with the EAP115.

Here are some suggestions for you to have a try.

1. Close the anti-virus/firewall. Becasue sometimes this will block the EAP. 

2. Ping the IP of the EAP on the Controller host to check the connection. If possible, please login to the EAP in standalone mode and then upgrade the latest firmware for the EAP. Then try to use the Controller to adopt it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1615

Replies: 7

Related Articles