EAP client logs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP client logs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
EAP client logs
EAP client logs
2019-08-07 15:13:25
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.4

Hi,

I am sorry if there is another thread that might have this info I tried doing a search but can't really find anything. 

I recently purchased an EAP225 for my small office because our last AP was having issues with losing connections and needing to be rebooted. A couple of the users on my network are saying they are still having disconnect issues. I think it is more likely just the internet because we have satalite internet and go over our data limit in a week. However I am looking for a way to check if their computers are staying connected. I can see in the omada controller clients page it shows active time but it doesn't seem to take into account a quick drop of service. Is there any logs that keep track of client connection, and if so how can I access them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options
3 Reply
Re: EAP client logs
2019-08-07 15:39:37 - last edited 2019-08-07 15:41:12

Short drop of WiFi connections can't be detected in Omada Controller if the disconnect state lasts under 5 minutes. WiFi associations/disassociations of clients are not logged in Omada Controller at all except for the current connection state visible in the controller's web UI.

To check for short disconnects over a test period you could set up the collectd statistics collector on a server and use the ping plug-in to check for connectivity of the clients. This software then produces a graph of the client's connection state.

Tip: OpenWRT-based routers can run collectd, setup is as easy as installing this software package on the router and configuring the ping plug-in. Such an OpenWRT router could also be used as a tiny, stand-alone Linux server. So, if you have an old WiFi router lying around somewhere, it could be abused as a monitoring device for the connection states of your client devices.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re: EAP client logs
2019-08-07 15:49:57

Thanks for the info.

5 minutes seems like a long time to not keep track of information for troubleshooting purposes, really wish this limitation wasn't present on a business class device. 

I have a couple of extra routers laying around including a mikrotik router that may be able to run something similar so I will try that route. 

Options
Re: EAP client logs
2019-08-07 16:11:12 - last edited 2019-08-07 16:12:32

Admin_JOD wrote

Thanks for the info.

5 minutes seems like a long time to not keep track of information for troubleshooting purposes, really wish this limitation wasn't present on a business class device. 

Seems so, but if you have 500 APs with thousands of clients managed by the same controller, shorter connectivity check intervals would lead to much higher traffic. What's more, if the interval is too short, you will see more false positives in case of only short disconnects of the clients due to temporary interferences.

IMHO, best compromise would be to let the user choose the connectivity check interval/time-out for the detection of connection losses, so one could decrease this interval during tests and later restore the default value for regular use.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1467

Replies: 3

Related Articles