EAP225-Outdoor drops internet due to provisioning

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-17 15:23:01 - last edited 2019-08-18 07:57:25
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 Build 20190404 Rel. 58086

I have a system in a large house with eight or nine WAPs.  Most are EAP115 but two are EAP225-Outdoor.  My problem is that internet connectivity is lost periodically (daily or more often).  When I open the Omada Controller, it always shows the units are provisioning.  After I refresh the Controller manually, several come up as Connected, and if I refresh a second time generally all show Connected.  At that point internet connectivity is restored.

My questions are: 1) Why does the Controller start a provisioning process without any intervention on my part;  2) How can I disable this constant provisioning?

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Re:Re:Re:EAP225-Outdoor drops internet due to provisioning-Solution
2019-08-18 07:57:13 - last edited 2019-08-18 07:57:25

I dont think the ISP forces a reconnect, but I can't be sure.

As for Windows, I closed the application saying "Exit".  I then used "Task Manager" to force close any hidden parts of the Controller still running afterwards.  Sure enough, there was an instance of the controller still running, which I force closed.

Thanks for all your help.  We'll see what happens now.

Best

Richsch

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:EAP225-Outdoor drops internet due to provisioning
2019-08-17 16:18:41 - last edited 2019-08-17 16:32:08

richsch wrote

My problem is that internet connectivity is lost periodically (daily or more often).

An EAP goes into provisioning/configuring state if the connection to the controller has been lost for whatever reason or if the EAP gets a new IP due to DHCP re-assignment (which is a connection loss). You could avoid the latter by using static IPs or static DHCP IP-mappings for EAPs, which is best for stationary devices.

Of course, connection to the LAN and the Internet is lost temporarily if the EAP goes int provisioning/configuring states. You can't disable this. You can avoid provisioning if you turn off the controller after the EAPs have been configured successfully, but you won't be able to use certain features which require a 24/7 connection to the controller such as meshing or other features (see the FAQ section for a list of features requiring a running controller).

If the Internet connection and the controller is availabe all the time, EAPs won't go into provisioning/connecting states. Our EAPs in stable networks run without any interruption. We have EAPs which run since hundreds of days without any interruption of connectivity:

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re:EAP225-Outdoor drops internet due to provisioning
2019-08-17 16:46:09

Thanks for the prompt response.

I have all APs with static IPs, so that's not an issue.  I don't really need a running controller; I don't use any such features.  Am I correct that I will disable the controller if I just close it on my Windows 7 computer, or do I need to do something else to keep it asleep?

Options
Re:Re:Re:EAP225-Outdoor drops internet due to provisioning
2019-08-17 17:24:13

richsch wrote

I have all APs with static IPs, so that's not an issue.  I don't really need a running controller; I don't use any such features.  Am I correct that I will disable the controller if I just close it on my Windows 7 computer, or do I need to do something else to keep it asleep?

Then you could try to stop the controller and check whether any EAP hangs up over time or loses Internet - does your ISP force a daily re-connect probably?

As for Windows controllers I don't know whether the controller really exits if you close the window, but I think there is - as always - a dialogue asking the user whether he intends to close or exit the application. Could be that if Windows goes to sleep mode applications stop responding. Just don't know, we do not use any Microsoft products here. Maybe some other forum user can answer this.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:EAP225-Outdoor drops internet due to provisioning-Solution
2019-08-18 07:57:13 - last edited 2019-08-18 07:57:25

I dont think the ISP forces a reconnect, but I can't be sure.

As for Windows, I closed the application saying "Exit".  I then used "Task Manager" to force close any hidden parts of the Controller still running afterwards.  Sure enough, there was an instance of the controller still running, which I force closed.

Thanks for all your help.  We'll see what happens now.

Best

Richsch

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:EAP225-Outdoor drops internet due to provisioning
2019-08-19 08:23:40

Just an update:

Even with the Controller completely closed the AP by the pool shut down again.  I decided to eliminate the Controller altogether, so I clicked on "forget all" and closed the Controller.  I then reprogrammed all the APs as standalone units with fixed IPs.  We'll see what happens now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3701

Replies: 5