Curious as to why a TL-R600VPN v4.0 router would deny access to an external domain

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Curious as to why a TL-R600VPN v4.0 router would deny access to an external domain

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-17 21:23:41 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:00:04
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1850 2018

- Router in service for about a year with no issues

- laptop running W7Pro64 (no recent updates)

- Laptop connects fine to other url's and has been connecting to this blocked url fine up until today

- today after resuming from Sleep, found no connection to Email and Webservices from a Domain I look after for a non profit club I belong to

- was able to connect via another machine at a different location .

- rebooted the Laptop and still nothing

- Pinging both the url and IP returned an immediate response from the TL-R600 that the host was unreachable

- logged in to the TL R600 and was able to ping url from the Router

- was able to ping and log in to this url from another PC on the LAN SIDE of this Router

- Only after rebooting the Router was I able to reestablish connection to the Site url

- After the dust settled, I also noticed that there was a new update for this device, so, have updated the Firmware

- Looking at the Router logs, there is no indication of a fault or reason for this URL BLOCKAGE

Questions:

1) Does one just chock this up as a glitch in the Router?

OR

2) Are there other diags and or areas of the configuration that can be run/checked to ensure the router isn't showing signs of early issues?

3) Why would a Router selectively BLOCK requests to one URL?

4) One aspect of my Laptop use is that; I do travel to this Club's Site and do access this URL from that location (different Router & ISP) ... the last resume from Sleep would have had to renegotiate with the TL-600 so perhaps there was some confusion with credentials for this particular URL due to having just been on site?  

Options
4 Reply
Re:Curious as to why a TL-R600VPN v4.0 router would deny access to an external domain
2019-08-19 07:39:04 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:00:04

Hi bxdobs

TL-R600VPN has the feature of web filtering and access control. They can block the website. But I think you should didn't configure them if you can reestablish connection after rebooting.

You can use DNS lookup to check if your DNS service is normal at first. Then try tracert command to check the path of the packet.

Options
Re:Re:Curious as to why a TL-R600VPN v4.0 router would deny access to an external domain
2019-08-19 15:29:13 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:00:04

tracert at the time of the issue just returned one hop: the router address ... and no, I haven't used/configured any of the web filter options ... DNS had to have been working as the PING <domain name> returned with the correct IP address ... both PING <domain name> and PING <IP address> returned "Destination Host Unreachable" from the Router IP Address

Options
Re:Re:Re:Curious as to why a TL-R600VPN v4.0 router would deny access to an external domain
2019-08-20 06:43:23 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:00:04

If you know how to check the data packets, you can try to use Wireshark to capture the packets for checking what information R600VPN return to your PC.

Generally the router should forward the packets to its gateway. Current situation is that router did not forward the packets. But you said your other devices is working normally, so the network has not problem...

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Curious as to why a TL-R600VPN v4.0 router would deny access to an external domain
2019-08-20 15:04:13 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:00:04

Wireshark is in my bag of tools but won't help now that the issue has dissappeared with rebooting the router and updating the firmware ... if this happens again I will certainly take a closer look at the packets ... having recently had an issue with this particular web server (which was solved by a PHP upgrade on the Web Server) that is where I started my investigation ... working backwards to my pc, found the issue was with my local router. Another PC attached to the same Router was able to connect to this Web Server  ... so ... at this point, thinking because my laptop had just woken from sleep where it had been previously connected to this site using another Router that there may have been some initial miscommunications that triggered the TL-R600 into blocking ALL of my laptops requests to this site <ip address> ... Lenovo has a WIFI App (Access Connections 6) that automatically manages all wifi connections needed at the various locations I go to ... this app doesn't always succeed in switching profiles forcing me to manually intervene ... perhaps the TL-R600 just went in to some protection mode due to some crossed or incomplete packets left over from the last Router the laptop was connected to.

Basically all the errors I encountered appeared to be related to the IP address being blocked

timeout errors for: (these all use the same ip address with different port #'s)

- Email (pop3)

- Webmail (https)

- domain webpage(https)

- cPanel (https)

- WHM (https)

- FTP (sftp)

- terminal (ssh)

host unreachable errors: 

- ping <domain> and <ip>

- tracert <domain> and <ip>

Options

Information