Connect AP to Controller over Internet - no static IP available

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-22 10:03:58 - last edited 2019-08-23 20:57:04
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

I plan to install APs at a number of holiday houses all of them located at different places. The Omada Controller host is running at another location. So the connection between the APs and the controller has to be via the internet. I further plan to establish the controller connection for each AP using Discovery Utility via NAT port forwarding according to the config guide for this use case.

As my ISP does not provide a static IP for the Controller host location's network I have to use a DDNS URL. Will the Discovery Utility accept the Controller's URL instead of an static IP for connecting the AP with the Controller? Are there any restrictions in terms of functionality, stability or security?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Connect AP to Controller over Internet - no static IP available
2019-08-23 01:28:13

Cajuba wrote

As my ISP does not provide a static IP for the Controller host location's network I have to use a DDNS URL. Will the Discovery Utility accept the Controller's URL instead of an static IP for connecting the AP with the Controller? Are there any restrictions for functionality, stability or security?

Hi,

I think it works. You can write down the Hostname or IP address of Omada Controller in Discovery Utility. Since the Omada Controller is at the back of the NAT Router, the hostname should belong to your public IP address. And you should open the 29810-29813, 8088, 8043, 80, 443 port for Omada Controller.

Options
Re:Re:Connect AP to Controller over Internet - no static IP available
2019-08-23 01:57:30 - last edited 2019-08-23 02:21:25

jonas wrote

I think it works. You can write down the Hostname or IP address of Omada Controller in Discovery Utility. Since the Omada Controller is at the back of the NAT Router, the hostname should belong to your public IP address. And you should open the 29810-29813, 8088, 8043, 80, 443 port for Omada Controller.

Oops, didn't notice that Discover Utility supports also hostnames. But what happens if the public IP of the hostname changes after EAP has been adopted? Does the EAP store the IP or the hostname of the controller specified in Discovery Utility after being adopted?

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re:Re:Connect AP to Controller over Internet - no static IP available
2019-08-23 03:23:03

R1D2 wrote

jonas wrote

Oops, didn't notice that Discover Utility supports also hostnames. But what happens if the public IP of the hostname changes after EAP has been adopted? Does the EAP store the IP or the hostname of the controller specified in Discovery Utility after being adopted?

Hi R1D2,

Yes, EAP will store the hostname of Controller after getting hostname from Discover Utility. Then EAP will use the hostname to get the IP address of Controller and use this IP to communicate with Omada Controller. But if the public IP is changeable, the EAP will disconnected from Omada Controller when the public IP is changed, and then EAP may use the hostname to find the public IP again. 

We suggest customer using a static public IP address to manage EAP. Or the network connection may be unstable, since EAP will disconnected from Omada Controller when the public IP address is changed, and it will take some time for EAP to re-establish the connection.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Connect AP to Controller over Internet - no static IP available
2019-08-23 03:40:29

Ah, I see. That's cool, so it even works with DDNS. Thanks for clarification, did delete my wrong answer.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Connect AP to Controller over Internet - no static IP available
2019-08-23 07:30:37

jonas wrote:

[...] and it will take some time for EAP to re-establish the connection.

Do you have any idea how long "some time"  might be? Seconds? Minutes? How often does the EAP "talk" to the Controller? Will it reconnect immeadiately after the publice IP has changed? As my use case is providing internet access for holiday guests a daily reconnection during night hours won't be an issue, I assume. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Connect AP to Controller over Internet - no static IP available
2019-08-26 01:21:58

Do you have any idea how long "some time"  might be? Seconds? Minutes? How often does the EAP "talk" to the Controller? Will it reconnect immeadiately after the publice IP has changed? As my use case is providing internet access for holiday guests a daily reconnection during night hours won't be an issue, I assume. 

Hi,

EAP will find it disconnects from Controller after about 5 minutes. So EAP may need about 10 minutes to re-establishthe connection with Controller. We are not sure if there may have some issues, we still don't recommend to use DDNS to do the L3 management.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1820

Replies: 6

Related Articles