Roaming between APs shows auth portal suddenly.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-06 12:38:57 - last edited 2019-09-16 01:30:50
Model: EAP330  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.0

Hi everyone,

I have four EAP. Two EAP330 and two EAP245.

I have configured an 2,4GHz SSID with a Windows Server RADIUS server and local AP portal.

Everything is good, users can Auth and everything is working as expected but one thing.

When someone roams from one EAP to another, they receive portal authentication screen suddenly.

All the configuration is the same for the four APs. The net has the same SSID, auto channel, same password, same WPA2-PSK AES encryption. 

What could I do to get it working?

Thanks in advance,

regards.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Re:Re:Re:Roaming between APs shows auth portal suddenly.-Solution
2019-09-12 00:38:10 - last edited 2019-09-16 01:30:50

@Quobis 

From the screenshots you upload, we can find that you are not using the Omada Controller to manage the EAP. It tells us that you manage the EAP in Standalone mode. 

When the EAPs work in standalone mode, each AP issues the portal configuration to the downlink clients. And these EAPs will not transfer the client information to each other. That is to say, when a client connects to EAP1, EAP1 has all the connection information about the client. When the client roams to EAP2, for EAP2, the client is strange. So the client has to auth again. 

If we use Omada Controller to manage the EAP, then the Omada Controller will keep all the connection information and issues to all EAPs, so the clients don't need to auth again when roaming to other EAPs.

Please install the latest version of Omada Controller and use the Controller to manage the EAP, then these clients will be able to roam between the APs.

You can download the Controller from the following website:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/eap-controller/#Controller_Software

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Roaming between APs shows auth portal suddenly.
2019-09-08 05:11:59

@Quobis ,

What's the hardware version of your EAP245? Now only EAP225-Outdoor, EAP225v3, EAP245v3 support fast roaming. EAP245v1 and EAP330 don't support fast roaming.

DO you manage the EAP via Omada Controller? Please use the latest version of Omada Controller to manage the EAP. Now we have merge the 2.4G and 5G SSID. In this situation, the clients don't need to auth when roam in differnet APs.

By the way, you say you config the portal, then I think you needn't set password for the SSID.

Options
Re:Re:Roaming between APs shows auth portal suddenly.
2019-09-09 06:46:13

Hi @forrest,

I have the v3 hardware version on the EAP245 and the v2 on the EAP330.

I use the latest version of Omada controller to manage the four APs.

I'm just testing on a 2,4GHz SSID.

I like to have a password to do not have all the business data flying around in plain text.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Roaming between APs shows auth portal suddenly.
2019-09-10 02:41:17

We had a test and everything was ok.

For your issue, do all clients have this problem? What portal do you use? 

If it is convenient for you, please send some screenshots about your configuration.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Roaming between APs shows auth portal suddenly.
2019-09-10 06:09:39

Hi @forrest,

yes, all the clients are having this problem. We use the local AP portal with a Windows Server 2016 RADIUS.

There you have some captures about our config, it's the same config in all the four APs: 

Thanks for replying again,

Regards.

Options
2019-09-11 14:15:44

Hi, I have news.

Sometimes, when roaming from EAP330 to EAP245 APs portal is not displayed, but connection drops anyway.

I've check hundreds of times the four APs configuration and it's the same for SSID, Portal, VLAN, etc, etc.

This is urgent to us so if anycone can help us with this we'll be very thankfull,

regards.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Roaming between APs shows auth portal suddenly.-Solution
2019-09-12 00:38:10 - last edited 2019-09-16 01:30:50

@Quobis 

From the screenshots you upload, we can find that you are not using the Omada Controller to manage the EAP. It tells us that you manage the EAP in Standalone mode. 

When the EAPs work in standalone mode, each AP issues the portal configuration to the downlink clients. And these EAPs will not transfer the client information to each other. That is to say, when a client connects to EAP1, EAP1 has all the connection information about the client. When the client roams to EAP2, for EAP2, the client is strange. So the client has to auth again. 

If we use Omada Controller to manage the EAP, then the Omada Controller will keep all the connection information and issues to all EAPs, so the clients don't need to auth again when roaming to other EAPs.

Please install the latest version of Omada Controller and use the Controller to manage the EAP, then these clients will be able to roam between the APs.

You can download the Controller from the following website:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/eap-controller/#Controller_Software

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Roaming between APs shows auth portal suddenly.
2019-09-12 10:54:02

Hi, @forrest 

you was right, I thought you was meaning the mobile app.

Now I have installed Omada controller on a server and roaming works well with RADIUS server.

Sorry for annoying.

Regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1512

Replies: 7