1 Gbps ethernet, but only 150-200 Mbps WiFi.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

1 Gbps ethernet, but only 150-200 Mbps WiFi.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
24 Reply
Re:1 Gbps ethernet, but only 150-200 Mbps WiFi.
2019-09-19 12:02:43

@quadrophenic 

Yeah, perhaps.

I have used a Lenovo T460s and a Xiaomi MI 9 SE. But on my laptop, I see that the signal strength is around 400 Mbps, so it should be able to produce better than 200 Mbps.

Hmmm, I'll will try to see if I can find something better to test it on.

Options
2019-09-19 12:06:22 - last edited 2019-09-19 12:19:15

Hi @quadrophenic,

I completely agree with you and I also like to be on the cutting edge when it comes to bandwidth. The bigger, the better. 

I even share my (small) office's 400 Mbps bandwidth with my neighbors who still have slow DSL speeds.

And - as a UNIX guy - I like Apple MacBook products based on FreeBSD, too. But my smartphone is a TP-Link Neffos N1, sorry Apple. 

This being said, the speed specs on vendor's websites are most often marketing speak. Yes, the EAPs can indeed deliver this much bandwidth, but what they don't tell you is that there are so many limiting environmental and technical parameters that you hardly will reach such speeds in practice (except if you have an isolated measuring lab and cutting-edge measurement equipment).

My company doesn't advertise the theoretical max. speeds of products when we do consultings; we always tell our customers what they can expect in ideal and not-so-ideal environments. This is very much appreciated by most of our customers.

I'm curious whether you can reproduce the 500 to 700 Mbps speeds with your old iOS, please give it a try.

BTW: speeds between an AP and a device are negotiated on demand and thus can change all the time from 6 Mbps for receiving the SSID up to the max. speed when transferring data - so make sure to transmit data while measuring the currently negotiated WiFi speed.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2019-09-19 18:31:05

@R1D2 So for the first time since owning a smart phone my wife has actually done the latest ios update! I therefore don't have any devices on the older version to test. Her iphone 8 on ios 12.4.1 is also topping out at 305mbps. Out of curiosity I turned on the wifi on my router (netgear XR500) and got the same 305mbps results. The wifi specs on the router are actually better than EAP225 so it looks like either a problem with the device,the ios update or the app i am using.

Omada controller shows the rate to the phones as 866mbps.

I tried to use my surface pro 4 to test and I downloaded netspot (free) but that doesnt allow you to test wifi speeds without the paid version :(

I cant find any other FREE windows software that would allow me to test the link speed. Windows adaptor status says I am connected at 780mbps but I have no way to verify it. It shows the same rate in omada controller. 

I'm stumped frown

Options
2019-09-24 11:14:11

@Lynild 

Lynild wrote

So I have just upgraded to 1 Gbps internet at home.

There I have my ISP router connected to an 8-port TP Link switch, which then covers 3x EAP 225 AP's, and some other ethernet enabled rooms. The WiFi is obviously disabled on the ISP router, so only the AP's should put out WiFi (at least according to the available WiFi networks). Now, I have checked most ports, and all the ports, if connected via ethernet, I get around 900-1000 Mbps up and down - which is what I have paid for shillong Teer results.

But even though I am standing right under an AP, or at least really close, I don't get much more than 100-200 Mbps, which I really think is insufficient.

So do you have any idea about what I am doing wrong ? I have tried to lower the power of the AP's, so they don't interrupt each other that much, and I have made sure that the channels used are not used by anyone (or no more than one other) of my neighbours. I have also tried to reset my AP's, but that didn't do anything either. I also don't think it's my devices that are incapable of more than 200 Mbps. 

So yeah, what should be my next step in troubleshooting this. A decrease of around 80% is a bit too much I think :)

Thanks in advance.

Maybe something was downloading in the background? Something like steam updates?
There's also this new windows update thing where it uses a P2P network and uses lots of bandwith.

Options
2019-10-12 11:39:17

@quadrophenic 

Have you had any luck on fixing this issue? I still seem to only have between 50-200, and I think I have tried everything so far 😂

Options
2019-10-12 11:40:19

@warismaina 

This is not the case, nope... 

Options
2019-10-12 15:14:15

@Lynild No, sadly I haven't been able to recreate the results I was previously getting and there were far too many variables to try and pin down the cause and I ran out of patience. The strangest part was the controller was reporting the device 'rate' to be 750+ but the app I was using to test never went above 305. No matter which AP I was connected to. Even when testing directly on my router wifi. In short I concluded it was more to do with the device or the testing app than the AP. 

Since my internet connection is nowhere near fast enough to perform any real world tests I can't take it any further. 

Without going all the way through this topic again, I would maybe disconnect all of your EAP from the switch and run only one and test that see if it is maybe a traffic issue through the switch. Or do what I did and connect the device that is causing the issue directly to your ISP router and see if that is any better. 

If not I would guess its a problem with the device not the EAP's.

Happy to try and help further if i can. 

Options
2019-10-12 20:13:19 - last edited 2019-10-12 20:36:16

I think you simply have too high expectations of the speed of the Internet, the servers, the routers in between, your provider's infrastructure, your own routers/devices and today's real-world wireless throughputs of WiFi APs.

Here is a comparison of wired throughput versus wireless throughput from a test case I just set up:

Internet bandwidth: business-class tarif, 400/20 Mbps guaranteed bandwidth

Router NAT throughput: ~900 Mbps

Testing devices: MacBookPro (2016), EAP225 V3 / 5 GHz band / 80 MHz channel width / 802.11ac-only mode

Speed test server: dslreports.com

Results for a test (profile »Cable«) over an otherwise almost idle wired network:

Pretty good for 400/20 Mbps. Note the lag/bufferbloat.

Wireless test (profile »WISP«) over EAP225:

Strong fluctuation between 210 and 350 Mbps, hence a mean value of 275 Mbps. Also pretty good IMO for a shared, half-duplex medium which WiFi is naturally, thus the high lag/bufferbloat on uploading (remember: TCP/IP protocol has to ACK each packet).

Let's see the wireless speed between MBP and EAP during the test:

Couldn't be any better for an EAP 225.

My guess: to get near Gigabit speed over a half-duplex medium such as WiFi you would need at least an AC 1900 in an ideal environment as well as a powerful router, excellent enterprise-class infrasctructure of your ISP with guaranteed throughput (pretty expensive) and have an exclusively fast connection to the test server.

But even then you will never reach the same throughput on 802.11 wireless networks as you can achieve over a full-duplex wired network. There is and always will be a BIG difference.

If you want to see a device which can truly perform in the 1.4 to 2 Gbps range over a wireless directional link, take a look at the AirFiber-24. 24 GHz (that's twenty-four), proprietary protocol, full-duplex mode (two simultaneous links), controlled AirTime scheduling and much more. Costs just $ 1,800 per AP; you always need two of them.

I think you will love your EAP for home use, won't you?

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2019-10-14 12:58:14 - last edited 2019-10-14 13:03:45

@R1D2 I know I won't get gigabit WiFi, but as of now, I currently run 50-100 mpbs 2 meters away from an AP (up and down). I mean, I know there can be some kind of interference, but I do live in a house. There isn't that many other WiFi disturbences near. And as stated, my ethernet is 900-1000 mbps all the time.

It's just weird to be, that's all. I would think these AP's should provide me with around 250-300 mbps.

EDIT:

Yeah, I'm an idiot. After doing seperat SSID's for 2.4 and 5 Ghz, I forgot to connect to the 5 Ghz on my WiFi devices, and was running on 2.4 Ghz. So at least I'm back at 200-300 again :)

Options
2019-10-14 13:51:29
Thanks all for your responses. i was having similar questions and your answers were helpful to me.
Options