Can DHCP server on TL-ER6120 be set to always give same IP's even after restart

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-22 13:32:47 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:53:07
Model: TL-ER6120  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

On our internal network, we have a few devices that can only accept DHCP leases, but the applications with which they work need to always know the IP address, meaning if the DHCP lease ever expires, it is possible that the devices' IP address would change.  The vendor of this suite of applications was telling me that I need to have the DHCP server reserve an address for the exclusive use of that device or have the router "assign" the IP.   On the last point I challenged the tech support guy because I've never heard of a router assigning static IP's before, and after he went and talked to Development, confirmed that their device only could do DHCP (as I suspected)...i.e. no way to SSH into the device and set its network settings to something else (I don't think even the most advanced routers can do that but correct me if I'm wrong).

So my question to TP-Link experts is this: With a device that can only do DHCP, can I guarantee that the IP address that gets assigned will never change, even if the device or router get shut down during a power outage?  If the DHCP assigned address ever changes, we then need to change the IP address in every component that needs to talk to that.

Thanks

-Hugh Ferguson

Options
2 Reply
Re:Can DHCP server on TL-ER6120 be set to always give same IP's even after restart
2019-09-23 07:48:21 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:53:07

Set up DHCP reservation, you need to fill the MAC address of your client and set up the IP address, then this client will only get the IP address you set.

When your clients or router shut down and up again, your clients will still get the same IP address.

@hughLink 

Options
Re:Can DHCP server on TL-ER6120 be set to always give same IP's even after restart
2019-09-23 12:50:13 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:53:07
Thanks, I will give that a try.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1097

Replies: 2