How to use your email or server to receive the logs of Omada Controller?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-07 03:07:04 - last edited 2021-12-06 12:14:12

The logs of Omada Controller can effectively record, classify and manage the system information of the managed EAPs, providing powerful support for you to monitor network operation and diagnose malfunctions.

Usually, we can login to the Omada Controller to view the logs, but we have a more convenient way to see the logs. Here we will introduce you how to configure Log Settings on the Omada Controller to view logs on your email or log server.

• How to set the Log Settings to view logs on the email?
  • How to set the Log Settings to view logs on the log server?

1. How to set the Log Settings to view logs on the email?

(1) Go to Site Settings > Log Settings and click Auto Mail Feature.

(2) Exampled with a free Gmail account, configure the Auto Mail Feature.

Here are the meanings of these parameters:

Receiver Address

Enter an email address which is used to receive the logs

SMTP Server

Enter SMTP Server of the sender email address

Port

SSL

Checked

Authentication

Checked

Username

Enter a mailbox as the sender email address.

Password

Enter the password of sender email address

Sender Address

You needn’t enter this entry after you check the Authentication

Time Mode

System logs can be sent at specific time or time interval.

Note:

• For security, the SMTP server is disabled by default on some mailboxes. So we recommend that you log in to your mailbox to make sure the SMTP server is available.
  • For some mailboxes, the password is the same as the login password, for other mailboxes, we should input the third party authorization code instead of the login password. (We need to set the authorization code first on the mailbox.)

(3) If the settings are not correct, you will see an error when you click Apply. In this situation, please check the settings of you set, especially the “SMTP Server” and “Password”.

(4) After configuring it correctly, we will receive a test email titled “[Omada] Controller Test Email”. When the appointed time comes, Omada Controller will send the logs to our receiver email address.

2. How to set the Log Settings to view logs on the log server?

If Server is enabled, system logs will be sent to a log server.

(1) Go to Site Settings > Log Settings and click Enable Server.

Here are the meanings of these parameters:

System Log Server IP

Enter the IP address of the server.

System Log Server Port

Enter the port of the server, the default port is 514

More Client Detail Log

With the option enabled, the logs of clients will be sent to the server.

(2) Here we take Syslog Watcher as an example (All software meet Syslog protocol will be ok). Install Syslog Watcher on a PC and use it to receive the logs.

Note: For system logs, Omada Controller will send the logs to the log server in real-time. For client logs, Omada Controller will send them every two minutes.

Options
5 Reply
Re:How to use your email or server to receive the logs of Omada Controller?
2019-11-09 20:14:10 - last edited 2019-11-09 20:27:52

Hi forrest,

please note that port 465 (default port of Omada Controller if SSL/TLS is enabled) is not used anymore for SMTP since 1998 (that is, for more than 20 years now). SMTP ports in use today are either port 25 or port 587.

Almost every Mail Service Provider does not accept connections on port 465. Port 465 was never published by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) as an official SMTP transmission channel but was registered as an SMTP port by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA). This port was initially used for the SMTPS encryption and authentication "wrapper" over SMTP.

By the end of the year 1998, IANA has reassigned this port number to a new service. Thus, don’t use port 465 anymore for SMTP, because this port is no longer an accepted standard for SMTP. Use either port 25 or 587 instead, both support SSL/TLS since an eternity.

Now what is really annoying is that in the Omada Controller site-wide mail server settings (for sending forgotten passwords by mail) you can change the port 465 to 25 manually if SSL is enabled, but when clicking "Apply", Omada Controller changes the port setting back to 465.

Please fix this, we need to set either port 25 or 587 or even an arbitrary port number for reception of TLS-secured mail on a server, so Omada Controller should not enforce a specific port. It can suggest default ports 25 or 587, but it definitely should neither enforce nor suggest the deprecated port 465.

That's no new bug in Omada Controller, I reported this already long time ago for controller version 2.5.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-03-23 16:02:10

Has this issue been fixed yet?  I'm trying to use the Google SMTP server to forward my OC200 longs (to myself) but I keep getting an error.  I've tried ports 465 and 587 but neither seems to work.

Is Google still offering SMTP services?  To I need to turn them on in my GMAIL account (I think this used to be the case).  Does anyone have their OC200 sucessfully forwarding logs through Google SMTP?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Options
2020-03-23 16:35:34

Ok, I just fixed this and confirmed that it's working.  Port 465 is still fine for Google (smtp.gmail.com).  The problem was with my GMAIL account.

In order to enable SMTP relay, you must specifically enable this capability in your GMAIL account by:

1) Enabling IMAP (even though we're not using it)

2) Enableing "less secure apps"

What I didn't realize is that when you enable 2-Factor Authentication for your gmail, that it automatically disables "less secure apps".  It leaves IMAP enabled, but that is not sufficient.

I had to disable 2-Factor, and then go to a now hidden url (https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps) to re-enable "Less Secure Apps" like SMTP relay.

In the future, given that TP-Link already supports Omada cloud (which is great).  It would be nice if they included some SMTP relay and/or push relay type notification service so that alarms and events coming from the OC200 would be automatically relayed to the App and Email of the Admin.

Similarly, being able to make custom usage reports and alarm / notification thresholds would be a really nice management feature:

1) time since reboot alarm threshold

2) number of active users (total, per AP) alarm thresholds

3) current aggregate bandwith usage threshold (by user, by SSID, by AP, total) per unit time -- e.g. x Mbit / sec for y seconds/minutes.  x TB / month, etc.

4) errors and quality concerns (dropped fames, AP's CPU utilization or memory usage, mesh errors, etc,

Thanks!

Jonathan

Options
2020-04-12 10:38:25

@forrest When setting the auto mail feature in the Omada Controller I got the "Failed to sent the test email to *****@gmail.com because of the error in authenticating the SMTP server. Please check your settings and try again" message as shown in the following figure.

I was able to trace this message back to the two step verification that I set in my Google account. I was able to solve this by using the "Sign in using App Passwords" option in my Google account, more information can be found at https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en. I then entered the app password that is generated under password in my Omada Controller. After pressing Apply I no longer received the message and received the test message. Below an image as I have now set up the Auto Mail Feature.

Options
2020-04-14 01:09:30

@forrest 

Hello,

I have been trying to get logging work by using the IP address & port of my syslog server but logs aren't being sent.  I have tested the log server with other devices [raspberry pi, freenas server] and I am getting logs from those devices.

The log server is on the same subnet as the Omada controller, using port 1545 [have tried using other ports above 1024 but cannot get any logs. 

Is there a way to troubleshoot on my end to see if logs are even generated on the controller ?

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 7199

Replies: 5

Related Articles