Failover backup time

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Failover backup time

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Failover backup time
Failover backup time
2019-12-01 02:12:08 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:40:56
Model: TL-R470T+  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: Latest

Currently I simulate failover, found out that the device need about 1 minute plus to make failover happen.

I also tried, without failover, to let all traffic use priority WAN (by ip policy routing).

When priority WAN fail, it also take about 1 minute plus to switch to another WAN.

How to speed up the failover process?

Thanks before

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Failover backup time-Solution
2019-12-04 02:09:29 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:40:56
You can try to set Ping as 8.8.8.8, and DNS lookup as 0.0.0.0. It means that only use Ping to detect the network status. If still need to wait a long time, maybe related to how often the router will detect the network.
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Failover backup time
2019-12-02 03:24:44 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:40:56
Hi Yos It's me again. Could you tell me how's your failure? It's physical disconnected or just lost internet? It's a little long to take more than 1 minute. This may also related to whether your application will re-connect when lost the internet. So what's your application?
Options
2019-12-02 08:55:11 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:40:56

@Andone Now I am trying to set my both modem....the ports on modem I set from auto to "LAN ONLY". Maybe thats the problem.

Will simulate a while then get back report to you.

Options
2019-12-03 13:35:36 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:40:56

@Andone 

I just found out that my Primary WAN "Online Detection" keep showing ONLINE, even I have disconnect internet on Primary WAN.

Thats why the backup WAN will not wakeup.

But if I disconnect power or unplug LAN cable, then the Primary WAN "Online Detection" able to show OFFLINE.

Only after that, the Backup WAN wake up.

Please guide how to config the dns, ping, ip, etc, etc

Attached is my config.

Options
2019-12-03 15:37:48 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:40:56

as seen in this link https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx13RT5BHLUY30R/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza

"When it switches between connections there is a issue with secure sessions in that you'll have to log back in. This is normal. It can be solved with using a permanent VPN, but while this product can do this, its outside the scope of this home user product anyway."

I assume this product very much functional, but the user need more skill to config it.

One must able to use a permanent VPN so failover can connect if one ISP fail using PING and DNS.

anyone can please help to guide?

Options
Re:Failover backup time-Solution
2019-12-04 02:09:29 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:40:56
You can try to set Ping as 8.8.8.8, and DNS lookup as 0.0.0.0. It means that only use Ping to detect the network status. If still need to wait a long time, maybe related to how often the router will detect the network.
Recommended Solution
Options
2019-12-04 12:40:25 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:40:56

@Andone 

My understanding.....

Status >> System Status >> Connection Status >> Link UP

Mean Ethernet Cable Connected / Power On / WAN switch on by R470T+

Status >> System Status >> Connection Status >> Link DOWN

Mean Ethernet Cable Uplugged / Power Off / WAN switch off by R470T+

Transmission >> Load Balancing >> Online Detection >> ONLINE (use Ping only)

Mean Ping Detected / Ethernet Cable Connected / Power On

Transmission >> Load Balancing >> Online Detection >> OFFLINE (use Ping only)

Mean Ping not Detected / Ethernet Cable Uplugged / Power Off 

I almost gave up, but I asked here and go with your advice, then all works like magic.

Failover worked nicely.

Routing Priority WAN also switch nicely to other WAN when main when Priority was cut from connection.

I think this product can sell like hot cake if newbie home/small business user like me understand to config it.

By the way, how could I give advise to TP Link support (upgrade firmware) so to add 2 ping addresses?...just in case the ping server fail.

Thank you...your help is very well appreciated.

Options
2019-12-05 01:30:35 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:40:56

@Yos 

You can go to TP-Link official website. For the menu on the top of their website, there is SUPPORT menu. You can check whether has email support. 

Sometimes their engineer will look this community. So they may see your feedback as well.

And for your scenario, it's enough to ping one address. 8.8.8.8 is google DNS server, I did not see it fail ever.

For Transmission >> Load Balancing >> Online Detection >> OFFLINE (use Ping only), it just means  Ping not Detected , doesn't mean Ethernet Cable Uplugged / Power Off. And TP-Link link backup is related to this online detection result. (offline or online)

For connection status Link UP/Link Down, it's not the result of online detection, the meaning you said should be correct.

Options