EAP 225 access and roaming behavior

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-30 11:25:49
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

home network with EAP225 is up and running.

Topology in the house (3 levels):

Cellar: Fritz Cable Router with Wireless is installed and connected to the wired LAN in the house.

Basement covered by a Fritz Repeater, which works well

1. Floor: nothing

2. Floor (home office): EAP 225 installed and connected to the wired LAN.
Got the same SSID and password as the Router, is configured as AP, not repeater!

Interesting was, that when moving with a wireless device (smart phone or Macbook) from basement to 2nd floor it takes for the first time to provide SSID and network password to the EAP to access, despite of configuration as an AP in the same network.

Is this normal?

After that when moving (roaming) between basement and 2nd floor or backwards it takes a lot of time, even a manual SSID selection on the wireless dev (smart phone).

How can this come?

Is there a chance to avoid this behavior?

I cannot configure the AP as a receiver because of weak/no signal from the WLAN repeater in the basement.

Any tips are welcome!

Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP 225 access and roaming behavior
2019-12-30 11:28:40

@MichaelS The EAP 225 is operated without Omada controller.

Options
2019-12-30 13:16:23 - last edited 2019-12-30 13:23:47

MichaelS wrote

I cannot configure the AP as a receiver because of weak/no signal from the WLAN repeater in the basement.

You can not configure the AP as a »receiver« since the EAP does not support repeater mode. It's just an AP.

Your other questions regarding SSID roaming have been answered in this post already, but again in short form:

Interesting was, that when moving with a wireless device (smart phone or Macbook) from basement to 2nd floor it takes for the first time to provide SSID and network password to the EAP to access, despite of configuration as an AP in the same network.

Is this normal?

Yes, this is normal.

After that when moving (roaming) between basement and 2nd floor or backwards it takes a lot of time, even a manual SSID selection on the wireless dev (smart phone).

How can this come?

Is there a chance to avoid this behavior?

With your current setup there is no chance to avoid this behavior. You would need APs supporting fast roaming to avoid this.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2019-12-30 15:01:29

@R1D2 thanks for quick answers.

Can I change the EAP 225 to fast roaming somewhere in his setup?

Options
2019-12-30 15:52:00

MichaelS wrote

Can I change the EAP 225 to fast roaming somewhere in his setup?

You would need Omada Controller for fast roaming. That's why I wrote that fast roaming will work with only EAPs.

Basically, fast roaming collects statistics about the APs in the same Extended Service Set (common SSID), so EAPs don't need to do a WiFi survey when clients are roaming. This is the only way to avoid delays when clients are changing APs. Without fast roaming, clients will have to perform a WiFi survey to find a better AP nearby when the signal from the current connected AP gets too weak. This WiFi survey and the reconnect is basically what causes the short delay in switching from one AP to another one.

But my question now: If automatic roaming doesn't work between AP in your 2nd floor and the basement since the WiFi signal level is still good, then this means that the EAP covers the whole area from 2nd floor to the basement already. Why would you want to use the FritzBOX WLAN on the basement if the EAP covers the whole area?

Personally, I would disable the FritzBOX WLAN and use only an EAP in the 1st floor which then probably covers the basement below as well as the 2nd floor above.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5051

Replies: 4

Related Articles