EAP115 - problems after firmware & controller software update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-05 09:22:14 - last edited 2020-01-07 07:59:06
Model: EAP115  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.0 Build 20180418 Rel. 74719

Cheers everyone!

I've been running 3 EAP115 APs and the EAP Controller on a Windows 10 Server for quite some years already, and they have been working wonderfully. After a recent update of the APs firmware as well as updating to the Omada Controller, I have been experiencing some problems.

My setup:

3x EAP115 V2 (Firmware: 2.1.0 Build 20180418 Rel. 74719)

Omada Controller v3.2.4

Problem 1:

My router (FRITZ!Box 7490) isn't detecting the APs as being online and connected, which has been working before. I can ping them, access their web pages, manage them via Omada Controller, use their Wifi, but according to the router they are not connected to the network.

This isn't a huge problem per se, since they are working properly network-wise, but still something that seems to have been broken after the updates.

Problem 2:

This is a huge problem!

I have set the SSID to be hidden, and can't connect to it anymore with new devices. Making the SSID visible and then connecting to it works just fine, and after hiding it again the devices stay connected. But trying to connect to the Wifi with the SSD hidden with a new device does not work anymore. Tested this with Android, Windows 10 and iOS devices.

I hope there are solutions for these newly arisen problems!

Thanks in advance!

Options
6 Reply
Re:EAP115 - problems after firmware & controller software update
2020-01-08 00:56:43

Turnspit wrote

Problem 1:

My router (FRITZ!Box 7490) isn't detecting the APs as being online and connected, which has been working before. I can ping them, access their web pages, manage them via Omada Controller, use their Wifi, but according to the router they are not connected to the network.

This isn't a huge problem per se, since they are working properly network-wise, but still something that seems to have been broken after the updates.

For the first issue, do you mean that after you upgrade the firmware for the EAP, your Omada Controller can still manage the EAP devices, but you cannot see the EAP devices on the router? Do you set static IP address for the EAP devices? Normally, if you set static IP address for the EAP, we will not see the AP on the DHCP client of the router. 

Problem 2:

This is a huge problem!

I have set the SSID to be hidden, and can't connect to it anymore with new devices. Making the SSID visible and then connecting to it works just fine, and after hiding it again the devices stay connected. But trying to connect to the Wifi with the SSD hidden with a new device does not work anymore. Tested this with Android, Windows 10 and iOS devices.

Here you mentioned you hid the SSID, do you mean you check the SSID Broadcast when you create the SSID? (See the following photo.) We want to confirm this and we will have a test in our lab. 

Options
2020-01-08 06:50:56

forrest, thanks for the reply!

For the first issue, do you mean that after you upgrade the firmware for the EAP, your Omada Controller can still manage the EAP devices, but you cannot see the EAP devices on the router? Do you set static IP address for the EAP devices? Normally, if you set static IP address for the EAP, we will not see the AP on the DHCP client of the router. 

Yes, this is correct, and the EAP devies indeed have static IP addresses.

I had some troubles the past days regarding DHCP and DNS on the router anyways, so it's not uncertain that this indeed is a problem with the router, not the EAPs. It's just curious that it has worked correctly before, and after the firmware upgrade stopped to display them correctly as online on the router.

But as long as they work, I'm fine with it.

Here you mentioned you hid the SSID, do you mean you check the SSID Broadcast when you create the SSID? (See the following photo.) We want to confirm this and we will have a test in our lab. 

With SSID broadcast Enabled:

I can connect with a new device to the wifi without problems.

With SSID broadcast Disabled:

I can't connect to the wifi with a new device anymore. Devices that were connected to the wifi before disabling SSID broadcast stay connected though.

Before the upgrade of the EAP firmware and Omada Controller I was able to connect to not broadcasted SSIDs without problems though.

Options
2020-01-08 12:44:11 - last edited 2020-01-08 13:37:47

Turnspit wrote

Normally, if you set static IP address for the EAP, we will not see the AP on the DHCP client of the router. 

Yes, this is correct, and the EAP devies indeed have static IP addresses.

A Fritz!BOX router does indeed report clients with static IP addresses in its network overview.

Omada Controller:

Fritz!BOX network overview:

However, the EAP must send or receive some traffic in order to have the FB router detect its IP address. I guess it does so by snooping IP packets. If the EAP does not send/receive any traffic, the entry in the FB's network list will be moved to the »unused connections« list after some time. Thus, if you don't see an entry in either the »active connections« or »unused connections« lists, the EAP never did send/receive any traffic.

Anyway, an EAP can't control this mechanism of the Fritz!BOX (except triggering it by sending some traffic), so I think it's not a bug in EAP's firmware. You should check whether the network connection from the EAP to the FB is working if you don't see no entry in the network overview.

Note that the EAP's name set in the Omada controller isn't used by the FB, because it sees only the hostname of the EAP at the time of adoption when the EAP was still using DHCP.

BTW: EdgeRouters also can show clients using static IPs if you enable Deep Packet Inspection. Routers always need to know the IPs of all devices in their network, else they couldn't route traffic.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-01-09 01:32:40

@Turnspit 

We had a test in our lab with EAP115 and the latest firmware, all devices can work normally. 

For your issue, you said the new client devices cannot connect to the hidden SSID, I want to confirm that they cannot connect to the AP or they cannot access the Internet but they connect to the AP?  All client devices have this issue? 

We are not sure if there is something wrong in the process of upgrading, so would you mind downgrading the firmware and then upgrading it again? 

Options
2020-02-10 06:36:46

@forrest 

Sorry for the horribly late reply! :-(

New devices can indeed not connect to the APs/Wifi at all when the SSID is hidden - if SSID is set be broadcasted, connecting to it works just fine and they connection stays active, even when hiding the SSID again.

I did the downgrade and upgrade of firmware, to no success sadly.

I also just replaced one of the EAP115v2 with an EAP225v3 - using the firmware it shipped with and upgrading it to the most recent firmware didn't solve anything either sadly.

And any devies has this problem - Android 9 / Windows 10 Mobile / iPhone / Surface with Win 10 were tested.

Options
2020-02-10 10:38:06

@Turnspit, connecting to a hidden SSID works for me.

Tested with EAP225v3 firmware 2.6.1, MacBook, Android, iPhone (sorry, no Windows here). Hidden SSID, WPA2 encryption.

Maybe you can post your setup, what WiFi settings you defined, whether you use encryption or not, what exactly are you doing to connect.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options