[Feature request] Show more client details

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-14 20:30:07

Hi,

I'd like the Omada Controller software to be updated to show more client details, like Wifi standard, channel band width, supported features etc.

Even a SOHO Wifi router like a FRITZ.Box (very popular in German) shows much more detail.

Ideally, the colums in the Clients tab would be configurable.

Here are examples from a FRITZ.Box 7490

Options
4 Reply
Re:[Feature request] Show more client details
2020-01-14 20:33:41

In comparison

Options
2020-01-15 00:58:08

@ASCII 

Not all client information will be shown on the Omada Controller. We can see the wireless speed of the clients, working frequency and SSID, they are useful for the administrator to manage the clients. 

You mentioned the supported features and wifi standard, why do you need to display this information on the Omada Controller? We may not add this in the Controller because there is little feedback about this. But we still appreciate your feedback.

Options
2020-01-15 20:24:47

@forrest Say I wanted to evaluate, whether to enable Fast Roaming or not. Without knowing which of my clients support 11k, 11v or not it would be hard to diagnose, why turning on Fast Roaming has no effect.

Or I want to extend my network with new EAPs. It would be helpful to know, what percentage of my clients uses AC or N, how many antennas they have etc. This way I can make a much more informed decision.

Options
2020-01-15 22:33:59 - last edited 2020-01-15 23:14:48

@ASCII, IMO the wireless details FritzBOXes show are mostly just eye-candy to impress their owners.

For example, if the AP or a client supports 802.11n, it must support WMM and WPA2, which are required by the standard. No WMM or no WPA2 means no 802.11n either, not to speak of 802.11ac. Thus it is redundant info as is the WiFi MCS speed index or the number of spatial streams shown by the FritzBOX (MCS 15 and 2x2 MIMO is also required by the ac standard).

So, seven informations shown in your screenshot can be reduced to only one: the WiFi mode.

For optional features such as 802.11k/v they are negotiated by the devices. If your AP supports it, turn it on. It's that easy.

For real diagnostics, you would need to analyze the WiFi frames.

For the WiFi mode settings such as a/b/g/n/ac you quickly see whether they are supported by clients or not: either the device works with the AP or it doesn't. An AP in public space such as a WLAN hotspot should offer all WiFi modes for backward compatibility with very old clients (b, g, a modes), while an AP in a home network can restrict the mode to n (2.4 GHz) or even ac (5 GHz) only. What's more g mode is a fall-back in n mode, you can't even disable it for 2.4 GHz.

Please let us not overload Omada controller with SOHO features which are mostly there to impress non-technical people like it is done by HiFi music gear manufacturers since decades to praise their products over others.

What I support from your proposal is the feature to show/hide columns of the EAP listing and the client statistics. Also, a more compressed HTML layout would be beneficial.

All this IMO = in my opinion.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 967

Replies: 4

Related Articles