Best TP-Link to use with EAP225

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-05 20:04:07
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

This might sound like a daft question but which is the best TP-Link Router to use with 3 x EAP225 Access Points. I have a very long L shaped bungalow and the exiting Genexis HRG1000 router is approx 1/3 along the building. It makes sense to use one EAP225 at the far end and the other two at the other end of the building. Are there any TP-Link routers that integrate fully into the EAP Mesh system?

I have recently had broadband issues with my 50Mbps FTTP which my ISP belive might be down to the number of devices on my network currently connected to a single port on the router (24 port switch). Gigaclear the ISP offered me a Linksys Velop router but I have already invested in the EAP225'sand dont belive the two mesh systems are compatible. I also have an Asus RT-AU66 router which I can use if folks think I would be better using that than a TP-Link Router.

Any advice would be gretfully received.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Best TP-Link to use with EAP225
2020-02-06 04:09:22

FozzieBear wrote

This might sound like a daft question but which is the best TP-Link Router to use with 3 x EAP225 Access Points. I have a very long L shaped bungalow and the exiting Genexis HRG1000 router is approx 1/3 along the building. It makes sense to use one EAP225 at the far end and the other two at the other end of the building. Are there any TP-Link routers that integrate fully into the EAP Mesh system?

I have recently had broadband issues with my 50Mbps FTTP which my ISP belive might be down to the number of devices on my network currently connected to a single port on the router (24 port switch). Gigaclear the ISP offered me a Linksys Velop router but I have already invested in the EAP225'sand dont belive the two mesh systems are compatible. I also have an Asus RT-AU66 router which I can use if folks think I would be better using that than a TP-Link Router.

Any advice would be gretfully received.

@FozzieBear 

Hi,

We may publish Omada Gateway and Omada Switch in queater 1, it will work with Omada EAP as a SDN System. We will have Omada SDN Controller to manage Omada Gateway, Omada Switch and Omada EAP in the same time, make it more stable and convinient to manage your network. For now, maybe you can consider TP-Link Safestream router, such as TL-ER6120 and TL-ER5120 router.

Options
2020-04-23 00:47:08

Hi @FozzieBear,

I'm not sure I follow what you/your ISP is suggesting.  They're saying that you're having problems with your broadband because you connected a 24-port Ethernet switch to your broadband modem/router?  That doesn't make any sense unless the switch (or some of the cabling) is defective.

How many total network clients do you have in your home?  The total of wired and wireless devices (I have about 60-70).  Most people use DHCP to assign the IP addresses to their network devices.  Usually, the DHCP "server" is inside the router (this device supports NAT, firewall, DNS, and DHCP services) normally.  In general, it is often best to use the modem/router supplied by the ISP for "optimal" support.  But some folks choose to supply their own or upgrade.

Make sure you're DHCP server/configuration is able to supply enough IP's for all of your devices.  Sometimes these are set by default to 20 or 50, for example, and you may need to increase this if you have a lot of devices on your network.

In terms of connecting your TP-Link AP's to your Router/Switch.  It is best to use Ethernet whenever possible.  Ideally to 3 of your EAP225's.  If this is not possible, then connect at least one with Ethernet and use the wireless MESH function within the Omada controller to MESH the other two to the hardwired one.  You can purchase the OC-200 Omada service device (from Amazon for $86).  Or you can download and run the software version for free.

The Omada management application brings a number of advanced functions 1) Fast Roaming, 2) MESH Config and failover, 3) Centralized administration, configuration, and monitoring, 4) remote cloud connectivity (for management only) if desired.

You do not need to buy a TP-Link home router.  Nor will a TP-Link home router "MESH" with the EAP225 product line.

Can you describe your "broadband issues" in more detail?  You state that you have FTTH (Fiber to the home).  From your ONT how is your current router connected?  Ethernet or Coax?

-Jonathan

Options
2020-04-23 10:50:21 - last edited 2020-04-23 10:50:56

@FozzieBear, I recommend to use your Asus router temporarily until Omada SDN controller has been published. Then take a look at it and if you like it, replace the Asus by an Omada Security Gateway (OSG). As jonas wrote, SDN controller will greatly simplify network installation and management.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-06-26 11:37:16

@JSchnee21 

Use any router you like and turn off the integrated wifi it has, and leave that to your existing eap-225 setup

Options