configuring cpe210 in client mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-08 01:36:49 - last edited 2020-02-11 10:28:21
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have found much info online indicating that what I want to do will work but am a bit unsure of the configuration of the client access point.

When travelling with my RV, the wifi in the campgrounds is poor and rarely reaches into the RV. I want to put a CPE 210 ouside and configure it as a client AP. Usually, all that I will know about the wifi network is the SSID and password, not the IP range or subnet. The survey function in the CPE210 will allow me to do this. However, the client access point requires that an IP address be set. Does this need to be in the range of the source network or does this only affect the device(s) connected to the client. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:configuring cpe210 in client mode
2020-02-11 15:51:13 - last edited 2020-02-11 15:52:07

Gary_Miller397 wrote

However, the client access point requires that an IP address be set. Does this need to be in the range of the source network or does this only affect the device(s) connected to the client. 

The IP address of the CPE is only needed to reach the CPE's web UI for management. You can even leave he CPE at its default IP address 192.168.0.254 while wireless or wired clients use a different address which is supplied (DHCP) resp. required by the main AP the CP is conected to.

However, if you want to connect devices (your laptop, PC, a switch or another indoor WiFi router) inside your RV and would like to always have the same IP addresses for those devices, consider to operate the CPE in AP Client Router mode. This allows to connect to any AP while using a separate network for connected devices and it will ensure that the RV park's owner can't access your devices over the free WLAN.

In the following diagram illustrating AP Client Router mode the term »WISP« stands for your current RV park's AP:

See this thread for detailed information on how to set up the CPE in AP Client Router mode for use in RV parks. Note also the Related Articles section shown in the right sidebar of the linked thread for even more articles about RV park use of CPEs.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:configuring cpe210 in client mode
2020-02-11 21:31:01

@Gary_Miller397 

Thank you for the response. I will be setting it as a client router for an internal wifi network. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3514

Replies: 2

Related Articles