When will the Guest Network in the EAP225 be fixed ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

When will the Guest Network in the EAP225 be fixed ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
19 Reply
Re:When will the Guest Network in the EAP225 be fixed ?
2020-02-27 11:55:04

@forrest 

I have tested the beta firmware and can confirm, that in our setup it is working as expected.
There is no access between SSIDs and locally wired units for units on a guest network SSID.

However, there is access to the gateway router which is hosting a DHCP server and to a local DNS server.

Options
2020-02-29 08:29:52

@joergent 

The clients connected to the Guest Network SSID should also access the internet, so the packets from them should be able to routed to the DHCP Server and DNS.

Options
2020-02-29 10:34:53

@forrest 

Yes, there should be and certainly is access to DHCP and DNS servers on the local net.

Options
2020-03-02 20:36:12

Hello,

When will this version be available for everybody? Is this EAP225 only? Or also for the EAP245?

Thanks.

Regards,

Meetriks

Options
Using guest networks for IOT devices must be improved
2020-03-03 22:49:03

@forrest 

Now that we have a working SSID + local net isolation in the EAP225 then it should be possible to use it without having a college degree in IT.

What other companies are supporting is not the responsibility of TP-Link, but its own devices should support it easily.

The TP-Link Smart Switch HS100 is a good example.

Till now I have only been using it locally without any cloud account through the Kasa app, BUT as it needs frequent access to an external time server (absolutely no reason for that!) there is a potential route into our local network, which I hoped to close by the EAP225 guest network.

As the guest network prohibits access to local devices, I had to create a cloud account to operate the HS100 by the Kasa app thus creating another pathway for hackers into the unit.

However, the current way of setting the HS100 up on a 'normal' local SSID and then moving it to the guest network SSID is not for the faint hearted.

I believe, that only a few technically advanced customers will be able to do so, and after doing it myself I am not sure I can explain exactly how I managed to do it.

The simple solution seems to be to change the Kasa app, so that the user may change the SSID, that the unit must use for connecting.

So I am looking forward to TP-Link to making their devices easily support IOT guest networks improving the security in the IOT world.

Options
2020-03-04 02:28:59

@Meetriks 

Now some private subnets cannot be blocked by the guest network, we will fix this in the next firmware. 

Options
Using guest networks for IOT devices must be improved
2020-03-04 02:34:45

@joergent 

I guess that you want to connect the HS100 to the EAP and you want to connect it to the guest SSID. But if you connect it to the guest SSID directly, you cannot manage it because the access is blocked, so you have to connect the HS100 to the host SSID first to configure it and then connect it to guest SSID, yes? 

For this, I think you can add an Access Control rule on the AP to allow the HS100. 

Options
2020-07-02 13:23:02

Please also fix for eap110 v4. The device is of little use to me without the guest network.

Options
2021-09-01 00:44:07
Is this only for specific hardware versions of the EAP225? I ordered one last week that came in defective and the replacement I received today (for an installation tomorrow) is v1.0 (Outdoor) running v5.5 firmware. I really need complete client isolation to work on this device. :-/
Options
Related Articles