Disable only Guest SSID and enable with schedule

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-20 00:54:47 - last edited 2020-02-22 03:41:11
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.6

There doesn't seem to be a way to do this. Under Wireless settings there's no radio control that I see, and under schedule using SSID, it seems to only be able to use one schedule.  If I could make two rules, it would work. Am I missing something?  I want the radio to be on at 7am, and off at 7pm. How do I accomplish this?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Disable only Guest SSID and enable with schedule-Solution
2020-02-21 09:44:10 - last edited 2020-02-22 03:41:11

@Hockeyfreak, I don't quite understand the problem here.

To enable the radio for the guest SSID only between 07:00 and 19:00 you set »Radio On« for this timespan. If it is currently on, the setting will turn it off at 19:00:

If you prefer to turn the radio for the guest SSID off between 19:00 and 07:00 you set »Radio Off« for this timespan:

To turn the radio off right now, you could temporarily set the start time in this profile to now +2 minutes. For example, it's now 10:30, so you would set the start time to 10:32 and save the setting. At 10:32 the radio for this SSID turns off and you change the start time back to 19:00.

Note that a scheduling profile associated with an SSID does not turn the radio off actually, but rather it only enables or disables the SSID.

In my opinion the Action settings should be just »On« and »Off« or even better »Enable« and »Disable« for scheduler profiles associated with an SSID, since it does not turn off the radio which is the same radio as for the second SSID, but just disables the virtual interface for this SSID.

Of course, for profiles associated with an AP the terms »Radio off« / »Radio on« are correct since they turn the radio off or on.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Disable only Guest SSID and enable with schedule
2020-02-20 02:25:20

@Hockeyfreak 

If we create an SSID, then we will see it in the Schedule and we can do radio on or off for this SSID at the specific time. 

I want the radio to be on at 7am, and off at 7pm. How do I accomplish this?

Please see the following picture:

Options
2020-02-20 02:45:30 - last edited 2020-02-20 02:59:16

@forrest Well, mine doesn't look exactly like that, but similar.  I've set up the "turn on radio" rule between 7 and 7. but that assumes the radio is normally off for SSID "Greasemonkeycust", which I can find nowhere to disable the radio as a default basis. It appears you can only have one rule per SSID, so that would be turning it on. I tried to create a rule turning it off, but if I put in 1900-0700, I get an error "end time must be after start time", so there's no way to do it with one rule.

Edit: It doesn't work, the "cust" SSID stays on after 1900.

The only thing I see is the broadcast check box, which I assume isn't the same thing.  I want it disabled

Options
2020-02-20 15:02:25

@forrest 

It seems there's no way to do this without a firmware rewrite. Either put a radio button in the wireless setup to turn radio off, then use the schedule to turn it on, or move the "action" drop-down to the "item" section, that way you could have multiple actions under one profile. 

As it sits now, it seems pretty useless and restrictive.

Options
2020-02-21 03:16:34

Anybody got any other ideas?  Something I overlooked?

Options
Re:Disable only Guest SSID and enable with schedule-Solution
2020-02-21 09:44:10 - last edited 2020-02-22 03:41:11

@Hockeyfreak, I don't quite understand the problem here.

To enable the radio for the guest SSID only between 07:00 and 19:00 you set »Radio On« for this timespan. If it is currently on, the setting will turn it off at 19:00:

If you prefer to turn the radio for the guest SSID off between 19:00 and 07:00 you set »Radio Off« for this timespan:

To turn the radio off right now, you could temporarily set the start time in this profile to now +2 minutes. For example, it's now 10:30, so you would set the start time to 10:32 and save the setting. At 10:32 the radio for this SSID turns off and you change the start time back to 19:00.

Note that a scheduling profile associated with an SSID does not turn the radio off actually, but rather it only enables or disables the SSID.

In my opinion the Action settings should be just »On« and »Off« or even better »Enable« and »Disable« for scheduler profiles associated with an SSID, since it does not turn off the radio which is the same radio as for the second SSID, but just disables the virtual interface for this SSID.

Of course, for profiles associated with an AP the terms »Radio off« / »Radio on« are correct since they turn the radio off or on.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-02-22 03:39:18

@R1D2 

That did not seem to work for me.  It had no effect on the SSID "GreaseMonkeyCust" stop showing up after 1900.  I actually didn't try to log in to it, I just had the guy that was there check to see if it was still being shown in the WIFI list and it was at 2000.  I assume since I set it up, It's going to stay on until I give it an "OFF" command somehow.

That is what I ended up doing to try to get it to work. I didn't go in today to see if it worked, but I'll check in the morning and see if it's off when I get there. Line 3 is for Sunday when we're closed.  I just think it could have been done a little cleaner to make it more user-friendly with some more options

Options
2020-02-22 11:43:16 - last edited 2020-02-22 12:05:08

Hockeyfreak wrote

That did not seem to work for me.  It had no effect on the SSID "GreaseMonkeyCust" stop showing up after 1900.

Works for me.

Just in case: ensure that the EAP has the correct time, timezone and daylight savings time setting (either by NTP or by syncing the system time with the laptop's time). Remember to save the settings.

This is the profile; for the test I used 12:00 to 12:05 for disabling the SSID at the weekend (where I live is Saturday already):

This is the scheduler association:

At 11:59 the GMC SSID is still enabled (actually, the screenshot dates from 11:58:56, the GUI adds few seconds in the display of the time):

At 12:01 it's disabled (screenshot taken at 12:01:18):

Note that there is a short delay caused by the way WiFi surveys work - they (intentionally) show the SSID a bit longer than it actually exists.

At 12:06 it's enabled again (screenshot taken at 12:05:57):

However, if a timespan crosses midnight, I personally would choose the opposite action and the appropriate timespan to not cross midnight.

OTOH, the software could handle midnight-crossing timespans as well.

I just think it could have been done a little cleaner to make it more user-friendly with some more options

Agreed. As you said, a button for disabling/enabling the SSID would be nice in the scheduler section (or even better in the wireless settings section) to set an initial state and to manually disable a SSID for an undefined time.

Additionally, a status display which shows whether the SSID is currently disabled or enabled would be helpful, too.

Options
2020-02-22 17:08:15

@R1D2 @forrest 

Thanks so much for your help! If you don't work for tplink, you should! You two have been very helpful! If you do work for them, you've been great. I'll get this fixed up app and report back!!

Options
2021-10-16 12:21:47 - last edited 2021-10-16 12:24:12

Hi @Hockeyfreak and @R1D2

I have followed this threat because I also experience the same struggles as described.
I also try to disable SSID at night and I think the interface is kind of unclear about what is happening, because when SSID is disabled, it it not clear IF it is disabled (until a client disconnects, but that can also be due to no signal for example).

I agree on your comments, and would be nice if it was also available in the App.

"1. a button for disabling/enabling the SSID would be nice in the scheduler section (or even better in the wireless settings section) to set an initial state and to manually disable a SSID for an undefined time. "

"2. a status display which shows whether the SSID is currently disabled or enabled would be helpful, too."

I come from an AVM FritzBox which has implemented this way of working very good, so now I'm missing this brilliant feature a lot :(

It would be very nice if TP Link whould improve this, just so it is clear when a Radio is on or off, of just turn it on or off right now because some guest have arrived, etc. etc.

I see this threat is over a year old now, do you have any new findings on this matter?

Thanks!

best regards,

Ronald

EAP245

5.0.3 Build 20210604 Rel. 51934(4555)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2099

Replies: 9