Access points only works when connected directly to switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Access points only works when connected directly to switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
13 Reply
Re:Access points only works when connected directly to switch
2020-03-04 13:52:29

@R1D2 I connected a laptop to the socket where the EAP was connected to and another laptop with Omada Controller is connected directly to the PoE switch. I pinged the laptop but all packets were lost

I will try directly connecting one of the cables which are now sockets and see if that resolves it.

Options
2020-03-04 14:24:12

@R1D2 So, what I find odd, is that my laptop has internet when connected to it. It's the EAP that's having trouble. What makes them different?

Options
2020-03-04 14:59:54 - last edited 2020-03-04 15:00:26

@Marlies, if you can ping the router with your laptop over this cable and can reach the Internet, then it's probably some other problem.

But did you ensure that the laptop isn't connected wirelessly to the router when testing the cable, e.g. falling back to a wireless connection to a main SSID? Can you ping the router from the laptop over the socket cable while the WiFi radio of the laptop is disabled?

You wrote the EAP works when connected to the switch directly, but not when connected to the socket. This indicates a problem with the cabling if you used the same switch port while testing.

Anyway, we would need much more information of your network setup to be able to help, »access to Internet« from the laptop is much too vague. Always check basic connectivity first and if the laptop/EAP can reach the controller system over port X if connected directly to the switch, but not so if the socket plugged into the very same switch port X, then the laptop almost certainly can't reach the router over this port X, too (except if you use a fancy VLAN setup or switch ACLs or a firewall).

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Related Articles