Number of clients and volume of traffic in a mesh network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Number of clients and volume of traffic in a mesh network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
30 Reply
Re:Number of clients and volume of traffic in a mesh network
2020-03-22 18:35:16
Also keep in mind since you are using wireless backhaul. the Regular EAP225 is only 2x2 (not sure about the Outdoor model). So on 5.8GHz 80Mhz 2x2 under ideal signal conditions (which you probably don't have due to distance, etc.) a single client will get at best ~400 Mbit/sec. The EAP's only have 2 radios (one for 2.4 and one for 5.8). So all of your 5.8GHz clients will be sharing the same bandwidth as your back haul. So your wireless bandwidth capacity will collapse rapidly as the number of 5.8GHz users scale. As all users are sharing this same ~400Mbit and every time they send/receive frames. Now you could limit users to using only the 2.4GHz radios and then use the 5.8GHz exclusively for backhaul (and/or special users)
Options
2020-03-22 18:52:24 - last edited 2020-03-22 19:14:55

@Byteguy, @JSchnee21, there seems to be some confusion about throtteling, speed and bandwidth.

What you are limiting is bandwidth, not »speed«. »Speed« for EM waves is always the same: it's nearly speed of light at which EM waves travel through the air. Bandwidth is the amount of data which can be sent at nearly SoL over EM waves, it depends on modulation schemes and some other parameters.

Now, if you set the limit to 1024 Kbps, the bandwidth is limited to 1 Mbps. It does not limit the data volume clients can consume. They still can transmit 100s of Gigabytes of data, albeit they need much longer to do so.

Next, total wireless bandwidth available to all clients of a single EAP225 is 867 Mbps in the 5 GHz band at 80 MHz channel width. If there is only one client which is capable of 802.11ac and 2x2 MIMO, it can reach this wireless bandwidth. It's still not goodput (data bandwidth), but raw throughput (wireless bandwidth). Of course, multiple simultaneous sending/receiving clients will only get a fraction of this total bandwidth which is shared among them all.

@Byteguy: as for the Insight statistics, a client appears there after it has disconnected from the EAP the first time. You can compare this with the Connection History, which shows the recorded sessions of a client. The Insight statistics shows a summary of all sessions:

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-03-22 20:49:07

@JSchnee21 Yeah, Since this is a relatively new network install, we weren't sure just how it would be used. There are some who abuse it and those are the ones we wish to limit.

Supposed to be able to do that by AP or user, but I think the user would be better. I'll reconfigure and give it a try.

Options
2020-03-22 21:10:28

@JSchnee21 I'm wondering if you can change the default client specs to automatically limit the rate for anyone who logs on. Currently, there is no limit to new users, so you would have to visit each user to set the limits.

Looking at the client usage, we are still OK. I'm thinking that things might change as summer approaches and useage increases. This is a marina and there will be more boaters active then.

Options
2020-03-22 21:34:36

I just set this up at home to test.  The best solution seems to be:

1) through the OC200 web interface (I'm on Omada Cloud at the moment) using Chrome.  Log into your network.

2) Go to the "Wireless Settings" pullup at the bottom

3) Click on Basic Wireless Setting

4) Add an SSID (or edit an existing SSID)

5) Within the SSID, there are two sections:  "Basic Info" and "Advanced Settings"

6) Click on Advanced Settings, Enable Rate Limit, and enter 10240 (for example) to limit the DL & UL bandwidth for each client associated to this SSID to 10Mbit/s DL & UL.

This way you don't have to worry about managing individual users.  And this SSID profile will be propagaed to all AP's by the OC200.

Depending on the number of concurrently actively users you expect, the types of internet usage you expect, and your ISP bandwidth I would start with something like taking dividing your total ISP bandwidth by ~10 to 20 or so.  Does your ISP have a monthly data usage cap?  Comcast does, for example (at least for residential accounts).  But Verizon FIOS does not.

I would assume your users (you said this is a yacht club, right?) would be doing the following types of activities (at least I would if I could afford a yacht)

1) Email, Tele/Video Conference, etc. -- generally low bandwidth, but teleconference software can be latency sensitive -- usually <= 1 to 5Mbit/sec

2) Streaming Music (Spotify, Pandora, Amazon, Apple, etc. and various Podcasts and such -- usually <= 3-5M bit/sec

3) Video Streaming (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney, HBO, etc.)  -- usually <= 15 Mbit/sec but some 4K content (Especially Disney) can approach 40 Mbit/sec.

Netflix handles bandwidth throttles very well (that's what Verizon, AT&T, and others use) and dynamical adapts the resolution to accomodate.  Bandwidths as low as 5 Mbit/sec are generally adequate (10-15 would be better).

Options
2020-03-22 23:28:27

@R1D2 Thanks. I amnot terribly experienced in this. As a small home-based business I mostly do system builds and break-fix and home networking. This job, although a bit of a challenge, seemed a great way to get more insight into wireless networks. The previous person who did the marina network used some Engenius equipment-and not a mesh network. Performance was rather poor. I knew there was a better way.

Now I'm trying to get good coverage and looking at stats to see if I can make the whole thing work more efficiently. Your help is greatly appreciated. I've been doing computer support for over 40 years, but this endeavor is something new for me. Thanks for putting up with my questions.

Options
2020-03-22 23:51:04
Sure. My pleasure. Keeps me busy while sheltering in place for Covid-19. And a nice distraction from the kids and working from home. But, FYI, don't believe the hype. Mesh is really just for installation convenience -- not performance. Mesh can be useful in the home environment because it allows home users to add an extra AP or two without having to run wire. But no corporate Wifi network uses Mesh. Long term you really want to pull shielded Cat-6a to each AP (w/UV resistant jacket if not in conduit) and power all of your AP's from a common POE (power over Ethernet) Gigabit switch. Connect the OC200 and your router to this same switch and place them all on UPS (and a generator if you have one). Some folks run into trouble when they terminate their own Ethernet cables, make the runs too long, crimp/kink the wires, or let the contacts oxidize. So it's always better (though more expensive) to use pre-manufactured cables if possible -- or pay someone who knows what they are doing and has the necessary cable testing equipment. Similarly, most AP's can only handle ~20-30 heavy concurrent client per AP before they start to bog down. More (40-60) if the users aren't that active. So having multiple AP's spread over the area to carry the load (using narrower non-overlapping channels with wired backhaul) is the best approach if a large number of users (>50) are expected. Turning off support for older protocols (a,b,g) also helps. Nearly all clients are n or ac these days.
Options
2020-03-23 01:18:40

@JSchnee21 In this applicaiton, wired is not reallly practical. It is a marina and a wired network would be quite a challenge. The installation is in tidal waters in Puget Sound and that complicates things. Since we installed the mesh, the marina management has received a number of compliments on the quality of the wireless network.

The mesh examples on the TP-Link site are definitely much larger than home networks. This convinced me that we can make it work.

Options
2020-03-23 02:05:58 - last edited 2020-03-23 02:07:58

@Byteguy, you're welcome.

I suggest you take a look at SSID rate-limiting to limit bandwidth for all users or to portal rate-limiting to limit bandwidth for users requiring to use a certain portal. Lets call this the soft limit. If there are users abusing bandwidth, you can place user-specific hard rate-limit to them.

However, bandwidth is equally distributed amongst active users anyway, so I would not establish too hard limits to them, except for those who waste bandwdith by intention. You can find them through Insight statistics by selecting data volume and usage time as order criterias.

As for the mesh you remember what we discussed when you did plan the network. To increase bandwidth in your mesh just add another root (wired) AP.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-03-23 14:32:59

@R1D2  I'm finding that there are only a few abusers. Found one that appeared to be streaming TV all day on a Roku box! I'm sure we'll be OK if we just watch the use in Insights as you suggested.

Actually I'm probably being overly concerned. The marina management seems to think that they won't have too many more persons using the network. The highest number I've seen is 18 at one time. During the winter there are a number of live-aboards using the network, but that number is unlikely to increase, Summer users don't hang around the marina--they are there to take their boats out, so there may be several spikes in use but they will be transient. We'll see.

As you said, I could add another root AP, but not sure if that will just take one more CPE or a pair of them. Would be nice if wired was practical, but it isn't. It all boils down to the marina providing wireless access as a courtesty. They are not obligated to do so.

Just trying to understand the entire thing when I, unlike many of the people in the forums, didn't grow up with this technology. But never too old to learn and besides, with all the craziness in the world, not much else to do but gain new skills! It's either that or work on home maintenance projects!

Options
Related Articles