TL-R470T+ Policy Based Routing for VOIP --- load balancing between ADSL & 4G

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-13 16:19:54 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:19:23
Model: TL-R470T+  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 6.0.3 Build 20180731 Rel.56894

Hello.

Due to this corona situation I have to do my customer service work from my home and I am facing a situation that seems a bit trikky for me.

Even before coronavirus era I had some problems with my connection and this is why I had bought a TP-Link R-470t to do some simple failover load balancing of my ADSL connection and my 4G connection.

Now I have this ADSL connection but sometimes, these days, I experience major problem with high ping/jitter values; either because I am living in a place with bad infrastructure or because currently there is a lot of load on internet lines (all people stay at home and are online).

ADSL --

|

|-----R470t------ WR841n router ----- My Pc's

|

4G ------

My question is this:

How can I create a policy that "tells" to R470t that IF ping time of WAN1 (primary-ADSL) get's over 60ms switch to WAN2 (4G)?

Is this possible? If yes, is it possible to continue monitoring ping time in WAN1 and when it is stable bellow 60ms switch back again to WAN1?

I hope not asking much but since I do not know much on networking I would appreciate if you can explain as step by step as posiible of course.

Thanks in advance!

Vangelis

Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-R470T+ Policy Based Routing for VOIP --- load balancing between ADSL & 4G
2020-04-15 03:41:55 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:19:23

@Tivoli 

Unfortunately R470T+ may not meet your requirements. It cannot set the policy based on ping delay. 

Its linkbackup function is based on online detection. If primary WAN go offline, the data will go to backup WAN. If primary WAN recover and become online, the data will go back to primary WAN.

Options
2020-04-15 05:43:47 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:19:23

@Andone 

Thanks for you reply Andone. Ok, I thought so that R470T+ might not give this kind of solution to my problem..

Maybe I will try to solve the problem the other way around in a more "primitive" way. Since usually when quality of internet connection lowers, i.e. ping time raises, usually at the same time speed is lower. So I am thinking I will observe values of both at different situations in order to create a rule of thumb - e.g. when download speed is bellow 3.5Mbps or upload lower than 650Kbps to switch from WAN1 to WAN2. 

However, just out of curiosity, how online detection is done? I thought it is done through a ping timeout and packets answer from the server. R470t would be a more uesefull piece of equipment if we had the option to control when the wan should be considered online or offline based on ping results. 

Anyway, thanks once again for your reply! 

Cheers!

Vangelis

EDIT: What I have written above can't be accomplished with R470t. The only way I see is the completely manual way. I.e. when I experience large ping and/or lot of jitter to switch primary-backup WAN  

Options
2020-04-16 02:33:30 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:19:23

@Tivoli 

Online detection contains Ping and DNS lookup. You can use one of them or both of them. If the router cannot ping the specific IP address or cannot resolve domain name from DNS server, it will think that WAN is offline and transfer the traffic to other WAN. (Please note that this is only applied in Link backup function.)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1072

Replies: 3