Votes

Make 'Map' -> 'Coverage' dynamic

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-18 13:03:58

Hi,

Just started with a installation of the very impressive Omada controller software and two EAP245 access points. Very easy to setup and manage, but most important very good wifi performance through our house.

I also made a drawing of our house to use it in the Map -> Coverage part of the Omada Controller and was a little dissapointed when I found out the coverage is just static and not a real world measurement.

When a user could measure the signal strength through the Omada app (or another device) it would be easy to identify weak spots in your coverage and give hits on where to add extra access points.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Make 'Map' -> 'Coverage' dynamic
2020-04-19 18:05:36

@MSuurmond, an AP is not able to identify the location of a client. What's more, if a client can connect, it's inside the covered area, but if the client is outside the covered area, the AP could not even notice that there is a client.

To make dynamic coverage maps (WiFi heat maps) there exist special tools like NetSpot, but even those require measurements to be made by a client while walking to all different places where coverage is to be expected.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Make 'Map' -> 'Coverage' dynamic
2020-04-20 08:28:57
I know the AP can't measure the location of a device, that is why it should be done through the Omada app (on a phone). The user should indeed click on the map where he/she is and then a measurement can be made and send to the Omada controller. Currently the Coverage tab only adds value when people are using it in large and open areas (where the coverage isn't blocked).
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 917

Replies: 2

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.