Thoughts on the EAP225 Outdoor?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-20 22:32:44
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.7.0

Hi Guys,

Thinking of adding an EAP225-Outdoor to my existing home Wifi solution.  I currently have 2xEAP225 and an OC-200.  I get some Wifi outside (experimenting with a separate SSID w/band steering for fallback to 2.4GHz).  But speeds are low (likely due to poor STA return signal).

So I was thinking of adding one or two these EAP225-Outdoor units in a wireless MESH configuration with my existing indoor 225's.  Both of the indoor units are hardwired (one directly to my Router) so I'd make this the master node.

I forget how many child nodes are supported per master?  2 or 4?  Also it seems like the AP has a gasket/gromet for weather tightness.  But (from the picture) it appears the midspan injector does not?

Anybody using these?  What channels are you using compared to your indoor APs (same or different)?  What kinds of speeds are you seeing?  My main interest would be for 5.8GHz to ideally get 100-300 Mbit of useable bandwidth.(e.g. 80MHz, or perhaps 40MHz) while outside in the back yard.

Since this is V1, do we think a V2 or V3 is coming?  It seems like V1 of this product is already pretty similar / identical to V3 of the indoor model.  Firmware seems to mirror the V3 firmware as well.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Options
1 Reply
Re:Thoughts on the EAP225 Outdoor?
2020-04-20 23:04:16 - last edited 2020-04-20 23:35:15

JSchnee21 wrote

I forget how many child nodes are supported per master?  2 or 4?  Also it seems like the AP has a gasket/gromet for weather tightness.  But (from the picture) it appears the midspan injector does not?

You can add 4 mesh nodes per each uplink node over 3 hops. The PoE injector isn't weather-proof, it's designed to be mounted indoors.

What channels are you using compared to your indoor APs (same or different)?

As for the 2.4 GHz band you already know the 1-6-11 rule (U.S. region, in the EU it's the 1-5-9-13 rule).

As for the 5 GHz band you have no change to use other channels than the channel used by the uplink node. It wil be fixed to the same channel for the mesh link. In the U.S. this is can be any channel in the U-NII-1 and U-NII-3 subbands.

What kinds of speeds are you seeing?

The speed all EM waves travel, that's nearly speed of light. 

As for the goodput 100-300 Mbps should be no problem using one mesh node in 802.11ac mode @80 MHz, but I wouldn't expect more than 300 Mbps for a 5 GHz client on a mesh network which is half of the goodput you can reach over a wired EAP225-Outdoor.

Notes:

• Total bandwidth (and thus total no. of concurrent clients) of all meshed nodes together is the same as for one wired EAP225-Outdoor.
  • Goodput is cut by half with every hop.
  • Goodput is further reduced when several clients connected to mesh nodes are sending data simultaneously.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 508

Replies: 1

Related Articles