Votes

Extended AP override settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-21 14:40:35 - last edited 2020-04-21 14:44:56
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20191126 Rel.59455

Currently the OC200 lets me override the following (See screenshot below):

• Wifi Name
  • VLAN
  • Wifi Password

I would like to override more things on a per AP setting.

The main thing I am missing is the "Broadcast SSID" setting.

I want my employees of a specific department can see their department SSID so they can easily connect new devices but everywhere else on the property it should work without being visible to other departments so they are not confused and select a different one.

Another helpful feature would be the "Rate Limit".

I have a remote location which is connected over a poor wifi bridge. Decreasing the employee SSIDs there but not the infrastructure ones without having to create a whole new WiFi Group would be helpful.

One last thing: "Disabeling an SSID" on selected APs

I personally do not have a use case for this but I can see the benefit to some people.

Screenshot: Current AP WiFi Override Settings

Options
6 Reply
Re:Extended AP override settings
2020-04-22 01:39:41 - last edited 2020-04-22 01:47:34

@celebrir, you should ues WLAN groups to set up department-specific APs with more parameters. This allows to set the SSID (as does the override if you enable the function), but also rate limiting as well as hiding an SSID and much more. Just create a group, add SSID(s) and assign to the AP:

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-04-22 01:46:22

@R1D2 But that would require me to create 9 WLAN Groups with each one having 14 SSIDs.

Doing that would take me hours and let alone trouble shoot it if I make a mistake or something needs to be updated.

I'd rather have one WLAN Group for the general settings and then fiddle around with a couple of overrides per AP.

I really do not understand the current override settings. I can change the SSID, password and/or vlan of an SSID but cannot disable it. I can really see no benefit of the current solution. My suggestions would give it a purpose.

Options
2020-04-22 02:24:48 - last edited 2020-04-22 02:25:44

celebrir wrote

@R1D2 But that would require me to create 9 WLAN Groups with each one having 14 SSIDs.

Doing that would take me hours and let alone trouble shoot it if I make a mistake or something needs to be updated.

I'd rather have one WLAN Group for the general settings and then fiddle around with a couple of overrides per AP.

Do you have 14 different SSID on the same network? Is it just one SSID out of 14 you wan't to change?

What are the 14 SSIDs if 9 groups would suffice for 9 departments I assume?

Just for »cosmetic« reasons, i.e. if someone connects to SSID »Finance«, he/she connects to the same network what you would get with SSID »Sales«, just by using a different SSID? Or do you use 14 VLANs, i.e. separate networks?

As for overrides: as you might have noticed you must check »Enable On AP« to change the VLAN ID, the SSID and the PSK. This are the settings saved directly in the EAP:

For »Guest Network«, »Rate Limit« and »Access Control Rules« the controller needs to set it as it can't be simply stored in the EAP. For example, rate limits assigned to a user takes preceedence when this user logs in through a portal. Maybe this is the reason that it can't simply be stored in an EAP as a static value.

Options
2020-04-30 02:06:39

@R1D2 I actually have a different VLAN for each SSID. Otherwise my request would not make sense.

Anyway, I'm in the "Suggestion" forum, not the "please help me". I'm not looking for a workaround but for an improvement in the override capabilities.

My current plan is to get everyone on the SSIDs and then hide them globally so new devices will have to type the SSID as well. It's the only "clean" solution in my mind.

We have a lot of customers (amusement park) and I do not want 14 SSIDs blocking the guest wifi.

Options
2020-04-30 02:50:09

@R1D2 Thanks for the effort, but I already know this.

As I said in the original post, I do NOT want to create a group for each AP because if I need to change one thing (password, bandwidth setting, band) then I'd have to go to each group and the possibility of an error is great. Also I'll loose oversight.

I know the obvious possibilities as I am not tech-illiterate but actually am a network-admin in training.

If you do know any tricks which would let me create custom overrides over a command interface or some config files then I'm interested. I'd say that I know the web-UI by heart now and I know that it cannot do what I want it to do.

Options
2020-04-30 12:55:16

celebrir wrote

If you do know any tricks which would let me create custom overrides over a command interface or some config files then I'm interested. I'd say that I know the web-UI by heart now and I know that it cannot do what I want it to do.

As I wrote there are settings in Omada Controller and settings in the EAP directly (overrides are the latter, they need to check »Enable on AP«).

I can tell you how to change settings in Omada Software Controller on the command line: just use the mongodb interface to insert settings into the database directly. You need to find out which settings are in which table.

I can't tell you how to change EAP settings directly since TP-Link didn't disclose either method of saving settings, so we all have to use trial and error to find ways to save settings through cmdline if we want to do so.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1238

Replies: 6

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.