Topology for 6 eap110-outdoor, an oc200, a GPON, and a switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-28 15:47:40 - last edited 2020-04-28 18:31:23
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hii All,

I want to buy 6 eap110-outdoor to manage 200 user

I want to buy an OC200 to use Cloud Access so I can manage all my eap100 any where in the world 

My ISP give me 300Mbps fiber optic internet with an GPON huawei HG8245H with only 4 port giga ethernet so I think I have to buy a switch

So I have 2 question:

1. Where I have to put OC200 to manage all my eap100 any where in the world? at huawei HG8245H port or at switch port  

2. Do I have to buy an 8-Port Easy Smart Switch or an 8-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Pro Switch or just an 8-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch is ok

Thx

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Topology for 6 eap110-outdoor, an oc200, a GPON, and a switch-Solution
2020-04-28 17:31:21 - last edited 2020-04-28 18:31:23

Hi @geraikenangan,

In practice any 8-port gigabit switch would be fine.  In practice the switch goes inbetween your ISP router and the AP's  That is to say, the switch acts "like a splitter."  The OC-200 can be connected to either the 8-port switch or the router -- it doesn't really matter -- but I would tend to put it on the 8-port switch.

But there are a few factors to consider:

1) Whether or not you want to / can power the AP's using POE -- more expensive switches can supply PoE power to some devices (depending on the voltage, specs, and power budget)

2) Whether or not you want to separate the management of the OC-200 onto a private VLAN -- this helps keep people from "hacking" into the OC-200 and the AP management pages.  But it much more sophisticated to install.  Probbaly out of scope for you at this time.

3) Ethernet cabling distances & material (be sure to use Cat 5e or higher (preferrably Cat6).  Shielded cable is recommended with shielded terminations.  Remember the 100m is the maximum end to end length from switch to AP.  But best practice is to limit this to no more then ~90m or so.

4) Weather proofing and grounding -- the switch and its power supply needs to be protected from the weather and the chassis grounded to serve as a ground for the shielded ethernet cables. 

I'd still recommend the EAP225-Outdoor over the 110's.  I realize they cost more (twice as much $70 vs. $35/each) but for your extra money you get two radios (2.4 and 5.8) and 802.11ac (aka Wifi5) both of which will help you significantly given the number of clients you're expecting.

-Jonathan

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Topology for 6 eap110-outdoor, an oc200, a GPON, and a switch-Solution
2020-04-28 17:31:21 - last edited 2020-04-28 18:31:23

Hi @geraikenangan,

In practice any 8-port gigabit switch would be fine.  In practice the switch goes inbetween your ISP router and the AP's  That is to say, the switch acts "like a splitter."  The OC-200 can be connected to either the 8-port switch or the router -- it doesn't really matter -- but I would tend to put it on the 8-port switch.

But there are a few factors to consider:

1) Whether or not you want to / can power the AP's using POE -- more expensive switches can supply PoE power to some devices (depending on the voltage, specs, and power budget)

2) Whether or not you want to separate the management of the OC-200 onto a private VLAN -- this helps keep people from "hacking" into the OC-200 and the AP management pages.  But it much more sophisticated to install.  Probbaly out of scope for you at this time.

3) Ethernet cabling distances & material (be sure to use Cat 5e or higher (preferrably Cat6).  Shielded cable is recommended with shielded terminations.  Remember the 100m is the maximum end to end length from switch to AP.  But best practice is to limit this to no more then ~90m or so.

4) Weather proofing and grounding -- the switch and its power supply needs to be protected from the weather and the chassis grounded to serve as a ground for the shielded ethernet cables. 

I'd still recommend the EAP225-Outdoor over the 110's.  I realize they cost more (twice as much $70 vs. $35/each) but for your extra money you get two radios (2.4 and 5.8) and 802.11ac (aka Wifi5) both of which will help you significantly given the number of clients you're expecting.

-Jonathan

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Topology for 6 eap110-outdoor, an oc200, a GPON, and a switch
2020-04-28 19:17:50

FYI, for what it's worth, TP-Link "[FAQ] Frequently asked questions about EAP Outdoor products" is recommending <= 60m from the midspan injector to the EAP.  

Other Internet sources seem to confirm ~50m for 24v PoE solutions:

For passive POE you should use a 24V power supply. 24V passive POE will power an OM series AP up to about 50 meters or 100-150 feet.

802.3af and 802.3at PoE standards (higher voltage ~48-57V) have a distance limit of 100 meters or 328ft which is also the limit for the data transmission for Ethernet cables. 

So depending on which Outdoor EAP you are using.  110 is passive only (24V), 225 is Passive (24v) OR 802.3af (~48V).  And how you are powering it (switch, injector, etc.), this may impact your cable plan.

-Jonathan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 713

Replies: 2