Any support feature for anti-tethering or anti internet sharing through USB/bluetooth/wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Any support feature for anti-tethering or anti internet sharing through USB/bluetooth/wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-29 16:21:09
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.7.0

A must have feature for any wifi hotspot, to name a few some linux based and routerOS are now having this feature they are using the TTL value of the network router to control tethering feature of clients devices. Limiting download and upload speed per device is not a good idea for owners like me that I want to give my client to use my hotspot to watch HD movies, but because some are abusing this tethering feature I am limited to a service that i want to give. Please make this possible on omada controller.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Any support feature for anti-tethering or anti internet sharing through USB/bluetooth/wifi
2020-04-29 21:43:30

Hi @Fugazi,

I don't represent TP-Link, so I cannot speak for them, but I'm trying to understand how your users are abusing your hotspot through on device tethering.  I understand what you are saying by time of life limiting (that's how Verizon meters my streaming capacity on my tethered iPad).  I assume you're talking about running applications (e.g. peer-to-peer file servers, game servers, etc.) that use large amounts of data and saturate your Wifi network/ISP or monthly data limits.

But it sounds, to me, like what you real want is to limit total connection time and/or total data downloaded/uploaded by MAC address or voucher id.  This in combination with limiting DL/UL speeds to 5 or 10 Mbit/sec (still fast enough for HD) would ensure that you don't get one or two bad apples who abuse the privledge.

(Not that I know how to do what I suggested)

-Jonathan

Options
Re:Any support feature for anti-tethering or anti internet sharing through USB/bluetooth/wifi
2020-04-29 23:31:48 - last edited 2020-04-30 00:04:56

@JSchnee21 

The thing is I'm giving as little as 2mb/sec each on download and upload, but still they can share internet and can play decently on mobile legends and other online games of up to 4-6 devices just by using tethering or using any app similar to called anyfi. As we all know, online games does not eat up much data and only requires 100-500KB/secs of bandwidth during ingame, so data traffic capping/limiting will not solve the problem in fact it will also affect non-abusive users.This tethering strategy is very rampant in a third world country where customers will try to find ways to maximize and to abuse if there is no security to block this feature. 

to give you insights, this hotspot software can run on raspberry/orange pi/ windows pc(virtual image), it has a feature called anti-tethering and the way to do that is thru TTL value limit, Mikrotik(routerOS) is also using this type of approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv63bWvlLgQ

Options
2020-08-18 12:30:15

@Fugazi I want to stop my clients for tethering. They bought only 1 voucher code but up to 5-6 devices connected by tethering via usb/bluetooth. I hope this can be resolve as I would love to use TP-link.

Options

Information

Helpful: 10

Views: 3656

Replies: 3