Log associations, reassociations and disassociations of clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-30 02:43:05
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20191126 Rel.59455

I'd like to log or access a list of associations, reassociations and disassociations of clients.

I have 9 EAP( 3x 115, 6x225[-Outdoor] ) APs and an oc200.

My goal is to see at which point reassociations between the APs happen so I can move some APs for better coverage. (Most APs are outdoors with many objects potentially blocking some APs)

I have a bunch of VLANs incase that matters. I'd only need to monitor a single vlan but across all APs.

The omada control panel is too slow with updating the AP a client is connected to so I can't use that as a gauge. 

So far I tried mirroring the switch port of the oc200 and analysing it with wireshark but noticed that the communication between the APs and the oc200 is rather... unreadable, to put it like that.

I also tried SSHing into the OC200 but I cannot connect, even though I turned SSH on. I have no idea if that would even help as I was never able to access it.

Any idea is welcome!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Log associations, reassociations and disassociations of clients
2020-04-30 12:33:59

Hi @celebrir,

It doesn't really log the data per se, but have you tried inSSIDER from MetaGeek?  The free version is very helpful.  But I recently upgraded to the Plus (they're having a sale, $50 for the year) and together with a second packet capture Wifi Card (many are supported, or you can buy one on Amazon for $47) you get realy time signal information for all of the clients on your network.  You can see AP utilization rates, client negotiated rates, RSSI's, retry rates, etc.  And you can run capture for import into Wireshark, etc.

It doesn't exactly do what you're asking (generate a log of each STA over time and track it's associations/dissociations, etc.  But it gives you a lot of infomration.

To do what you want, I believe you would need to run the Omada software on a PC/Workstation and then use a custom script/query to query/compile the data you're looking for from the Mondo database.  R1D2 posted an example script to the board within the last week or so.  I'm not sure if it collected all of the data you were looking for, but it would be a good place to start.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-04-30 12:39:08

Hi @celebrir,

See this thread for R1D2's example script

OC200 don't refresh the list of users or show obsolete state of connection.
https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/198548?replyId=417760

-Jonathan

Options
2020-04-30 13:15:06 - last edited 2020-04-30 13:17:18

Hi celebrir, JSchnee21,

I think the clientStats script would fit better in this case, it's in this post.

It seems that Omada Controller even records surveys from clients which do not associate with an SSID at all.

Just change the lines:

case $# in
  0)    query="\$and: [ { site: 'Default' }, { duration: { \$ne: 0 } } ]" ;;
  1)    query="\$and: [ { site: '$1' }, { duration: { \$ne: 0 } } ]" ;;
  *)    echo "Usage: ${0##*/} [site]"; exit 1 ;;
esac

to:

case $# in
  0)    query="site: 'Default'" ;;
  1)    query="site: '$1'" ;;
  *)    echo "Usage: ${0##*/} [site]"; exit 1 ;;
esac

to see all clients requesting the SSID during a survey.

Modified script appended to this post.

File:
clientStats2Download
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 584

Replies: 3

Related Articles