What IP, mask and DHCP settings on a new access point that connects to existing DSL router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

What IP, mask and DHCP settings on a new access point that connects to existing DSL router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-01 01:06:26 - last edited 2021-01-04 10:23:38
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have an existent DSL internet connection using rebranded DSL modem/router with wireless from ISP. 
This alone works OK, all phones and computers in the house can connect to the router wifi.
Router has ip `192.168.1.1` and DHCP server enabled, e.g from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254.

Now I want to install a TP-Link CPE210 access point, so that I plug it to one of the DSL ethernet connectors and allow phones and computers connect to this TP-link CPE210 access point, to increase network range. 

This^ should be a common setup I assume.

How should I set the IP on the access point web interface ?

The access point, under LAN, it has default IP 192.168.0.254, do I set this to something like 192.168.1.2 ? 

Next to that, do I set 192.168.1.1 as the gateway ?

Do I need to enable the DHCP server on the access point interface too ? If I leave it OFF, will main router still be able to give IPs to the clients connected trough the access point ?

One issue is that clients connected to the access point  but didn't get internet access. 

Another is that from the access point web interface, I cannot ping 8.8.8.8 or even 192.168.1.1. 

It's like the main router fully ignores the access point, I can't even see the AP's IP connected on router web interface. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:What IP, mask and DHCP settings on a new access point that connects to existing DSL router?
2020-12-31 23:29:12 - last edited 2021-01-04 10:23:38
Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same situation.
Options
Re:What IP, mask and DHCP settings on a new access point that connects to existing DSL router?
2021-01-01 00:28:24 - last edited 2021-01-04 10:23:38

@Jarlisle in this particular case, my problem was that the DSL router was set to only share internet on ports 1-2 and I plugged the CPE210 on port 3 or 4.

Options
2021-01-04 10:54:25

Hello, 

How should I set the IP on the access point web interface ?

The LAN IP address of Pharos CPE determines the management IP address of the CPE, when we want to access the web management page of a brand-new CPE, we need to ensure the PC is connected to 192.168.0.x network since its default IP is 192.168.0.254. 

To facilitate the management, we usually suggest changing the LAN IP address of Pharos CPE to fit into the existing network and avoid IP conflict. If your network is 192.168.1.1, for example, it's better to set the LAN IP with a unique IP and in the 192.168.1.x subnet network.

Note: after you change the CPE IP, remember to change the PC's IP to log into the Pharos page with the new IP and click Save changes

In basic settings, there is no need to configure the gateway or DHCP Server, you could leave them as the default parameters. But if you have special demands, for example, you want to access the Pharos CPE in AP mode through the Internet, then configure the gateway with your network gateway. If you want the CPE to assign IP addresses for the connected clients, then enable DHCP Server and specify the IP range as you want.

If the Pharos CPE works in AP mode and you leave DHCP Server OFF, the main router will assign IP address to the connected clients, just ensure the Pharos CPE is hardwired to the main router properly and the main router works fine.

How to Configure the Access Point Mode on the Pharos device: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/730/

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2472

Replies: 3