OC200 <> Rpi + Omada

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

OC200 <> Rpi + Omada

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
OC200 <> Rpi + Omada
OC200 <> Rpi + Omada
2020-05-02 10:38:00
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I'm using for the moment the omada community version on a Rpi3 together with an SSD. I'm having some weird issue and performance. My wife is reporting disconnect with her jabber client and my kids are reporting disconnect as well with their nintendo switch.

I'm wondering if this is not due to the rpi setup.

What is the hardware inside the OC200 ?

What is the advantage of going with OC200 ?

Thanks

Cedric

Options
2 Reply
Re:OC200 <> Rpi + Omada
2020-05-02 15:28:41

Ced2ric wrote

What is the hardware inside the OC200 ?

What is the advantage of going with OC200 ?

1. AFAIK it's a Marvell ARMADA 3700 Family System-on-Chip (SoC).

2. Advantage is to have an energy-efficient mini-server dedicated to just run Omada controller 24/7.

Regarding performance or disconnects: they are unrelated to Omada controller. Omada controller just sets up EAPs, receives usage statistics, controls mesh failover and does some other administrative things, but it does not carry any traffic from the EAPs to the router.

Once an EAP has been set up, it will work even if Omada controller is shut down. Thus, performance or disconnect issues are not related to Omada controller, but to your wireless and/or wired network as a whole (mounting locations for EAPs, wireless config, wireless capabilities of your client devices, obstacles in your rooms, interferences at your site etc.).

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:OC200 <> Rpi + Omada
2020-05-02 16:06:38

Hi @Ced2ric,

As R1D2 mentioned, the Omada software doesn't impact the Wifi performance at all.  How many AP's do you have?  Which models?  How are they wired?

You can also run Omada on a PC or if you only have one or two AP's you can configure them using the web interface in each AP.

You can also just run the Omada software temporarly on a PC to configure things and then shut it down.

Some general recommendations for troubleshooting new installs:

1) Start with one AP, connected via Ethernet to your router.

2) use a tool like inSSIDER to see what channels your neighbors are using

3) manually set 2.4 and 5.8GHz channels and start with the power set to medium

4) Use separate SSID's for each radio, don't use band steering

5) Disable Airtime fairness and Fast Roaming

6) Make sure the firmware is up to date on the AP

If possible, test Wireless link performance usng a tool like iPerf.  If not, use internet speed tests (if your broadband is fast enough).  Else, file transfers between a hardwired PC and a wireless client. 

Start close to the AP (~5-10 feet away) run tests, then move farther away.  Repeat for the 5.8 and 2.4 radios.  Generally, for 5.8GHz 80MHz w/2x2 STA you should expect to see ~400-500 Mbit/sec DL and UL from this distance.

-Jonathan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 828

Replies: 2

Related Articles