2.4ghz extremely slow

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

2.4ghz extremely slow

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2.4ghz extremely slow
2.4ghz extremely slow
2020-05-03 11:20:36
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Latest

I am wondering if anyone else has the same 2.4ghz wifi network issue, It's extremely slow. 5ghz works fine

Speedtest 5ghz : 300 Mbps dwonload, 20 mbps upload 

Speedtest 2.4ghz: .1 Mbps download, 2 Mbps upload

Latest firmware installed, different channels, I currently have only one 2.4ghz network, no interference with any other wifi network.

The same results with a EAP225.

Tired of trying everything I set up the original wireless router I had before buying this AP and the 2.4ghz network works way better.

Am I missing something ? Anyone can help me before I return this AP

Thanks in advance 

Options
19 Reply
Re:2.4ghz extremely slow
2020-05-04 16:26:52

Hi @Hac,

So you're seeing this issue with both the EAP225 and your previous Router/AP?  That would suggest some non-Wifi interference in the 2.4GHz spectrum.

On my iPhone XSM, I get ~70Mbits/DL and 90 Mbit/sec UL on my EAP225 on the 2.4GHz radio (SpeedSmart App).  This is 2x2 20MHz 802.11n.  I have FIOS (Gigabit), 2x EAP225 and an OC200.  I typically see ~300-500 Mbit/sec on the 5.8GHz radio.

Where/what type of housing do you live in?  You've tried channels 1,6,11?  Just for fun, try channels 3 & 9.  Have you used a tool like inSSIDER to check for neighboring Wifi networks?  Make sure you specify 20MHz BW, and enable support for b,g, & n.

Do you have:

1) Microwave

2) Baby monitor

3) Cordless phones

4) older CFL or LED lighting

5) Close to police station, firehouse, or other source of radio interference?

Unfortunately, RF scanners to asses background "noise" are fairly expensive.  Though you can build them if you're handy / electronics savy.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-05-04 16:43:52

@JSchnee21 Thanks Johnathan.

Unfortunately I have the problem using the APs, not when using the original router. 

On my phone pixel XL, and laptops using speedtest I get around 1mb DL and 

.2 upload right now. Whereas on 5g I get 400mbps DL and 20 Mbps UL which is fairly close.to what the ISP promised. 

I live in a semidetached house , drywall for the most part. 3 levels including basement. The problem with the 2.4g network happens when I'm like 6 feet from the AP. I repeat not the case when using the other router and placed on the basement.

The ap is in the second floor ceiling to get more coverage which works because the sgreght of the signal for both the 2.4 and 5ghz are good thoughtout the house. 

10 feeta awayfrom the ap the 2.4s signalis 95% but the speedtest is really bad. 

I have microwave, not in use when doing the speedtest. No baby monitors , no CFL, no cordless phones, not close to fire stations.

I have used wifiman, Netgear wifi scanner and I have switched channels like crazy, auto mode, manual, etc  and no sucess. The only way I can  get good speedtest results is by standing close.to.the ap.

I think there is another problem because the signal from the AP is strong. I'm dumbfounded by this. 

Thanks again

Options
2020-05-05 14:17:47

Hi @Hac,

Ok so your current router is fine.  But BOTH new EAP's are showing this issue?  What country are you in?  Are you sure the EAP's you have are the correct regionalization?

Not sure what else it could be, especially if both are doing it.  Unless they are somehow both defective,

Have you already factor reset them with the reset button?

-Jonathan

Options
2020-05-05 14:25:29

@JSchnee21 hey Johnatan. I'm in Canada. Using the EAPs for North America. Latest Firmwares installed for the region. I got no channels past 11 so I know this is not for Europe. Got the EAPs from Amazon, not a third party seller.

Factory reseted both. Lastly I just installed the controller software in a computer to monitor them and the same happens.

I have no explanation on why the signal is good, great , but the internet speed in this band is so bad. 

In the 5ghz band, I'm getting the max out of my devices and ISP.

I'm on clean channel, no interference with neighbors wifi networks. 

No device is bugging the network since I created a new network from the scratch and only used my phone to test it. Result were awful on 2.4ghz band. 

Can you do a speedtest using your 2.4ghz network around 15ft away from your ap? It's just to confirm that it's definitely something in my network 

Options
2020-05-05 14:53:52

Hi @Hac,

Very weird.  I bought mine from Amazon, too.

My test yesterday was from ~10-15 feet away (AP is one floor below and one room over):

On my iPhone XSM, I get ~70Mbits/DL and 90 Mbit/sec UL on my EAP225 on the 2.4GHz radio (SpeedSmart App).  This is 2x2 20MHz 802.11n.  I have FIOS (Gigabit), 2x EAP225 and an OC200.  I typically see ~300-500 Mbit/sec on the 5.8GHz radio.

Just now I got 57 Mbit/sec DL and 85 U (Speed Smart).  64 DL and 87 UL on Ookla from the same location.

I assume you have different SSID's for each radio (2.4 and 5.8) as I do.  Make sure band steering and airtime fairness are turned off.  2.4 radio set for b/g/n.  Check for large numbers of dropped packets / Tx/Rx errors on both the wireless radios and LAN pages (AP config page).

I've not seen any other reports of something similar on this board.

Don't know if you have a long enough cable, but on a lark see if you can take the AP outside and see if anything changes.  Still wondering if there is some strange source of RF interference in your house.

I used to have this weird non-Wifi RF interference around channel 6 in my house.  It was strong enough it would actually make some of my older routers/AP's (Linksys, Apple) reboot spontaneously / re-boot loop if they were set to channel six (manually) or by auto selection.  I never really identified what caused it.  But I think it was one of my low evergy lights (CFL) that I eventually replaced with an LED. 

Of course, RF should impact your old router Wifi, too.

My Office AP info (the one I'm connected to now)

2.4GHz

Mode: 802.11b/g/n mixed

Channel Width: 20MHz

Channel: 3   / 2422MHz

Tx Power: 16 (aka Medium)

Rx Packets: 32483168

Rx Bytes: 11.52 G

Rx Drop Packets: 0

Rx Errors: 0 Bytes

Tx Packets: 46153138

Tx Bytes: 9.51 G

Tx Drop Packets: 65

Tx Errors: 80.30 K

-Jonathan

Options
2020-05-05 15:18:56

@JSchnee21 yeah I don't see anything in the ap.area.that can cause this interference. I have changed the channels looking down that option but still is not good enough. Weird enough the old router is sitting under two fluorescent lights and it works fine haha.

The only thing I have close to the ap is a co detector and there is no way that can create interference.

My cable is not that long so I can take it out to check. 30 ft away from the ap I got 1mbps DL and 1mbps UL now. The signal is fair.

I can't paste the settings of my network now because I'm not in the computer and the app doesn't show that but I know the tx power is in 24 (high) and the drop packages are not high.interference is minimum according to the chart in the app.

Disconnecting all the devices might be another way to try it , at least the ones close.to.the ap. I don't think wyze cams are conflicting specially when they are designed to be wifi operated. Same.with the switches and bulbs (about 4).

Speedtest outside with my phone the speed is awfully bad. .1 dl .2 ul. The signal is fair. 

This is weird 

Options
2020-05-07 00:41:55

@Hac My EAP245's just started doing this too - used to have great 2.4 performance.  They still work fine on 5GHz.  No interference nearby (checked via my spectrum analyzer).

Options
2020-05-07 00:44:39
Interesting. Do you know if any tp link employee ever look at this forum? Maybe they can help us. I'm lost with this problem and by may 31st I'm returning it because the situation doesn't get better.
Options
2020-05-07 00:56:03 - last edited 2020-05-07 00:56:46

Let's both try and open a ticket. I'll let you know on this thread if I get anywhere. I bought a handful of them for a PoC that I plan to scale up to a few dozen devices. My Amazon return window is on the 31st too...  Someone else just posted about this too on another thread...

Options
2020-05-07 12:33:33

@WirelessForEver  sounds good. How do I open a ticket ?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4251

Replies: 19

Related Articles