Problem with DHCP and EAP225 Outdoor

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-09 15:56:33 - last edited 2020-06-06 10:27:43
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.7.0

Hello, I have a problem with the EAP225 Outdoor. When I switch from my home wifi to the outdoor EAP's wifi the host start DHCP discover, but for 2-5 minutes get no Offer, then everything works fine. I try to reset, reboot everything, I also try another dhcp server in my lan but I think that the problem is the EAP. Note that if I switch from outdoor to home wifi everything works fine instantly. Can anyone help me?

I have only one LAN, EAP works as an Access Point. If I set static IP on the host, stil not works. Maybe the problem has to do with DHCP lease? Or EAP firmware is buggy?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Problem with DHCP and EAP225 Outdoor
2020-07-01 13:56:31
Currently using Omada controller (version 3.2.10) to my EAP 225 outdoor version (US, Firmware Version:1.7.0 Build 20200113 Rel. 35383) Same issue, but I cannot see the outdoor to home-wifi settings. Anyway I have the same issue not having auto assignment of IP address (DHCP).
Options
2020-07-01 15:38:20

Hello,

in a past firmware version i could solve the Problem by disabling airtime fairness.

Options
2020-07-01 16:31:50 - last edited 2020-07-01 16:36:29

clockwork wrote

Same issue, but I cannot see the outdoor to home-wifi settings. Anyway I have the same issue not having auto assignment of IP address (DHCP).

What do you mean with »outdoor to home WiFi settings«?

To have EAPs extend the home WLAN, you just set the same SSID and encryption mode as used in your home WLAN router.

To have EAPs extend your home network (but not the WLAN), you use a different SSID.

In both cases IP addresses can be assigned only by a DHCP server running in the home network, most often it runs on the network's router. Neither Omada controller nor EAPs provide DHCP services.

nutzichDHCP services must work with Omada Controller's AirTime Fairness enabled (and they do so in our customer's WLAN hotspots, even with old firmwares). If they interfere with each other, something really weird is going on in your network or your clients.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-07-02 01:58:32

@R1D2 

What do you mean with »outdoor to home WiFi settings«?

A: I ve just read this on the first discussion above these messages. Anyway but I can see his/her point that I think outddor settings is with the PC Based - Omada Controller, while the home WiFi is with the stand alone AP (own device software config).

To have EAPs extend the home WLAN, you just set the same SSID and encryption mode as used in your home WLAN router.

To have EAPs extend your home network (but not the WLAN), you use a different SSID.

A: Ok will try this next, thank you. Although am still thinking if my router doesnt have band steering like dual band is not mixing together, might just try each SSID, since I have 2 for 2.4 and 5Ghz...

In both cases IP addresses can be assigned only by a DHCP server running in the home network, most often it runs on the network's router. Neither Omada controller nor EAPs provide DHCP services.

A: Yes I am sure that my DHCP is running under my personal router (TP Link Archer A9 1900), i do not have issues with DHCP settings under this router, but when I am using EAP 225 outdoor US version (with PC Based Latest Omada Controller software - Voucher mode), it only gets connected when I assigned IP address (static config) to my gadgets.

nutzich, DHCP services must work with Omada Controller's AirTime Fairness enabled (and they do so in our customer's WLAN hotspots, even with old firmwares). If they interfere with each other, something really weird is going on in your network or your clients.

A: On the Advance Wireless settings, I have enabled both 2.4 and 5Ghz and rebooted my EAP 225 outdoor and still same results DHCP is not working.

Options
2020-07-02 04:29:20

@clockwork I managed to make it works by using the same SSID on both home and outdoor wifi. In this way hosts that are switching AP don't ask to dhcp server for another ip, so the problem is not present.

I still think that's the eap's software that is buggy.

Options
2020-07-02 10:33:00 - last edited 2020-07-02 10:39:05

clockwork wrote
A: I ve just read this on the first discussion above these messages. Anyway but I can see his/her point that I think outddor settings is with the PC Based - Omada Controller, while the home WiFi is with the stand alone AP (own device software config).

I see. The point is: most settings in Omada Controller are just sent to the EAP where settings are stored. Only exceptions are settings which need interaction with the controller such as mesh (for failover) or fast roaming (for creating lists of nearby APs). For example, there is no difference if you set the SSID locally on the device or through the controller, in both cases it is set in the EAP.

A: Ok will try this next, thank you. Although am still thinking if my router doesnt have band steering like dual band is not mixing together, might just try each SSID, since I have 2 for 2.4 and 5Ghz...

SSIDs are just a mechanism to select the wireless network. If not using VLAN-mapped Multi-SSIDs, every SSID you create on the same EAP shares the same broadcast domain, i.e. the same (wired) network. Thus, DHCP leases are shared even between different wireless networks as well as static IPs are. Using an Extended Service Set (that's more than one AP with the same SSID) does not change the broadcast domain, thus DHCP leases are shared on a single wireless network spanning two radios (2.4/5 GHz) or more EAPs, too.

A: Yes I am sure that my DHCP is running under my personal router (TP Link Archer A9 1900), i do not have issues with DHCP settings under this router, but when I am using EAP 225 outdoor US version (with PC Based Latest Omada Controller software - Voucher mode), it only gets connected when I assigned IP address (static config) to my gadgets.

Every AP (not only EAPs) bridges the WLAN with the LAN. Broadcasts sent to the WLAN appear in the LAN and vice versa (if broadcasts are not blocked for the router's LAN, that's a very common errorneous setup). I suggest to check the Archer's settings and check with wireshark or tcpdump what's going on in your network. I never experienced DHCP problems on any of our more than thousands APs in the field.

But I indeed see DHCP problems with devices which have such a bad RSSI that data exchange isn't possible anymore (such problems start at RSSIs around -78dBm), albeit some small data packets go through every then and when.

I'm pretty sure that DHCP problems are not caused by EAPs.

Options
2020-07-03 13:33:33

@R1D2 

clockwork wrote

I see. The point is: most settings in Omada Controller are just sent to the EAP where settings are stored. Only exceptions are settings which need interaction with the controller such as mesh (for failover) or fast roaming (for creating lists of nearby APs). For example, there is no difference if you set the SSID locally on the device or through the controller, in both cases it is set in the EAP.
A2: Just to be clear, I will be using the EAP to run as Voucher WiFi if possible to save money will just use a thin client (PC Based Omada Controller). For "PC based omada controller" I think it's not capable to run a DHCP configuration that will relay to EAP, that might be the difference or solution if I will use the OC200 device that have functionality to solve my auto DHCP assignment when my clients/customers will choose the EAP's SSID. Still am thanking for your other possible answers but will not use the EAP for seamless roaming, but only for wide range single connection to clients/customers.

SSIDs are just a mechanism to select the wireless network. If not using VLAN-mapped Multi-SSIDs, every SSID you create on the same EAP shares the same broadcast domain, i.e. the same (wired) network. Thus, DHCP leases are shared even between different wireless networks as well as static IPs are. Using an Extended Service Set (that's more than one AP with the same SSID) does not change the broadcast domain, thus DHCP leases are shared on a single wireless network spanning two radios (2.4/5 GHz) or more EAPs, too.
A2: Already tried this but still same results, no auto assignment of IP (DHCP is still not working).

Every AP (not only EAPs) bridges the WLAN with the LAN. Broadcasts sent to the WLAN appear in the LAN and vice versa (if broadcasts are not blocked for the router's LAN, that's a very common errorneous setup). I suggest to check the Archer's settings and check with wireshark or tcpdump what's going on in your network. I never experienced DHCP problems on any of our more than thousands APs in the field.

But I indeed see DHCP problems with devices which have such a bad RSSI that data exchange isn't possible anymore (such problems start at RSSIs around -78dBm), albeit some small data packets go through every then and when.

I'm pretty sure that DHCP problems are not caused by EAPs.
A2:Thanks sir, but I am also using my personal router (Archer A9 1900) manually to give clients an internet access manually using the White/Black list MAC address for the past 2 to 3 months now. Because before I was using my Belkin N1 MIMO version for 4 years for paid WiFi access with the same process, which I tried connecting another Buffalo N150 airstation that can still provide a different segment or set of IP address.

Lastly maybe, just maybe the OC200 (thick client) will really help me get an auto DHCP settings since they have the same "business" line that maybe there is no handshake in between my personal router (A9 1900) to EAP 225. But for now, I will just assign a static IP address that should not be removed/forget on their devices in order to gain access to my prepaid WiFi voucher. If I cannot handle it due to grow of customers maybe I will explore that OC200. Since the thin client (PC based Omada Controller) is still working even my PC is off, for now the timer is what I really need and DHCP will just help me not manually giving them static IPs.

Thank you R1D2, looks like youre a fan of R2D2 kidding aside!

Options
2020-07-03 19:20:51 - last edited 2020-07-03 19:22:40

Hi clockwork,

there might be a mis-understanding regarding the role of Omada Controller: traffic from the EAPs does not flow through Omada Controller. Neither the SW controller nor OC200 can relay DHCP requests/replies from/to EAPs or from/to clients connected to the EAP. Omada Controller just manages the EAPs. Data flow from clients is passed directly to the router through a switch (either an external switch or the switch built into the router, depending on where you connect the EAP to).

That's why settings in Omada Controller can not influence or interfere with DHCP.

Thank you R1D2, looks like youre a fan of R2D2 kidding aside!

You're welcome. Yes, people gave me the nickname R2D2 when I was a youngster b/c they didn't understand a single word when I started to talk about computers. Back then, it was the time computers mostly had been known from movies only to the average John Doe. Now I'm old and have been promoted to R1D2. :-) 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3846

Replies: 8

Related Articles