EAP 225 cannot be adopted using Discovery Tool anymore

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-12 21:33:39 - last edited 2020-05-18 22:26:20
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.7.0

Hi,

for a long time I am using the setup with many brances and one central (public) EAP Controller successfully.

But somehow adopting new EAPs ist not possible anymore. I tried booth using the new Omada Discovery Tool as well als the old EAP Discover.

Omada Discovery Tool: I have both the Discovey Tool and the EAP in my local network. The tool shows the correct EAP and I try to manage it. After typing all the data (the public hostname, user and password) the tool says "Setting Succeed". But even after refresh the EAP don't show up in the default-Site.

The same with the EAP Discover.

I thought that maybe there is a problem with my controller so first I did an update to the latest 3.2.10 - but no success with adopting. Checked for firewall and stuff but everything seems OK.

To verify the setup I also used an old computer and installed the EAP Controller in my local network. The Controller has the build-in discovery-function and adopting with that would be successful (it lists the EAP as "managed by others". But that doesn't help with my setup. Using the Discovery Tool after resetting the EAP it shortly disappears in the controller after Discovery Tools says "successfull".

Don't have any ideas anymore...

By the way: What is the difference between the new Omada Discovery Tool and the old EAP Discover?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP 225 cannot be adopted using Discovery Tool anymore-Solution
2020-05-13 02:09:30 - last edited 2020-05-18 22:26:20

indigo wrote

The Controller has the build-in discovery-function and adopting with that would be successful (it lists the EAP as "managed by others".

If you see »Managed by others«, the former discovery and binding with the public server was successful. I would check the IP the EAP is trying to communicate with using tcpdump. If it uses the correct IP, there must be something wrong on the path from the EAP to the controller, probably a connectivity issue.

But even after refresh the EAP don't show up in the default-Site.

[...]

Using the Discovery Tool after resetting the EAP it shortly disappears in the controller after Discovery Tools says "successfull".

I don't understand. Does the EAP show up and shortly disappears in the controller or doesn't it show up in the controller at all?

By the way: What is the difference between the new Omada Discovery Tool and the old EAP Discover?

Some bug-fixes, cosmetic enhancements, unbundling from Omada controller (Windows), running in JRE8 environment, once code base for Windows / MacOS in the Omada Discovery Tool. No functional differences to the old EAP Discovery. See the release notes for details.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP 225 cannot be adopted using Discovery Tool anymore
2020-05-13 01:27:21

indigo wrote

Hi,

for a long time I am using the setup with many brances and one central (public) EAP Controller successfully.

But somehow adopting new EAPs ist not possible anymore. I tried booth using the new Omada Discovery Tool as well als the old EAP Discover.

Omada Discovery Tool: I have both the Discovey Tool and the EAP in my local network. The tool shows the correct EAP and I try to manage it. After typing all the data (the public hostname, user and password) the tool says "Setting Succeed". But even after refresh the EAP don't show up in the default-Site.

The same with the EAP Discover.

I thought that maybe there is a problem with my controller so first I did an update to the latest 3.2.10 - but no success with adopting. Checked for firewall and stuff but everything seems OK.

To verify the setup I also used an old computer and installed the EAP Controller in my local network. The Controller has the build-in discovery-function and adopting with that would be successful (it lists the EAP as "managed by others". But that doesn't help with my setup. Using the Discovery Tool after resetting the EAP it shortly disappears in the controller after Discovery Tools says "successfull".

Don't have any ideas anymore...

@indigo 

The Omada Discovery Tool and the old EAP discover have same functions, no difference.

Maybe you can refer to this post for troubleshooting: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/205252

Options
Re:EAP 225 cannot be adopted using Discovery Tool anymore-Solution
2020-05-13 02:09:30 - last edited 2020-05-18 22:26:20

indigo wrote

The Controller has the build-in discovery-function and adopting with that would be successful (it lists the EAP as "managed by others".

If you see »Managed by others«, the former discovery and binding with the public server was successful. I would check the IP the EAP is trying to communicate with using tcpdump. If it uses the correct IP, there must be something wrong on the path from the EAP to the controller, probably a connectivity issue.

But even after refresh the EAP don't show up in the default-Site.

[...]

Using the Discovery Tool after resetting the EAP it shortly disappears in the controller after Discovery Tools says "successfull".

I don't understand. Does the EAP show up and shortly disappears in the controller or doesn't it show up in the controller at all?

Some bug-fixes, cosmetic enhancements, unbundling from Omada controller (Windows), running in JRE8 environment, once code base for Windows / MacOS in the Omada Discovery Tool. No functional differences to the old EAP Discovery. See the release notes for details.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-05-18 22:24:29 - last edited 2020-05-18 22:26:59

Thank you for your help. As suggested I did a tcp_dump of the traffic between EAP and controller and found out, that there wasn't any traffic.

I don't know why but my local network had a problem. I am using a hostname for accessing my controller and somehow all clients could access the controller but not the EAPs. Switching DNS resolution in my network finally helped!

A little bit strange and confusing was, that both discover-tools always showed "success" when trying to point an EAP to the controller.

Options
2020-05-19 07:45:35 - last edited 2020-05-19 07:46:27

indigo wrote

A little bit strange and confusing was, that both discover-tools always showed "success" when trying to point an EAP to the controller.

The Discovery Tool does neither discover nor communicate with an Omada controller.

You specify the controller's IP (or the hostname) in DT and the DT stores this IP in an EAP. If that worked, its task was successful.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1206

Replies: 4