Cannot setup the TP-Link EAP 225-Outdoor

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-27 11:48:57
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I received my Access Point yesterday and tried to set it up using the Omada app on my phone.  The issue is I cannot connect to the AP's SSID so that the Omada app can see the AP.  I keep receiving a Failed to Obtain IP Address error.  I then tried to connect using my laptop and it shows connected, but no Internet.  I then try to navigate to http://tplinkeap.net and receive a message that says "This Site cannot be reached."  I'm not sure of the Hardware Version nor the Firmware version since I cannot access the AP.  However, the label says Model EAP 225-Outdoor Ver 1.8

What I have noticed is that the green light blinks on and off every 5 seconds or so constantly.  The manual says this means the AP is updating the firmware, but I have let this run for over an hour and it just blinks and never becomes solid green.

I can see the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs being broadcast, but just cannot connect to them.  I know my Internet is fine as all my phones, laptops and wireless devices can connect to my wifi without issue and all my hard wired devices work as well.  

Is there something I may be doing wrong?  Can I do something to fix the issue or do you think I have a bad device?  I'm trying to use the device in Standalone Mode.

Thanks,

Chris

Options
20 Reply
Re:Cannot setup the TP-Link EAP 225-Outdoor
2020-05-27 13:40:08

Hi @cgcmgr70,

Did you Adopt the EAP from Omada?  If not, perform a hardware reset, power on the EAP, wait for it to appear in Omada and then Adopt.  I've never tried to do this from the App (though in theory it should work).  I always do this from a browser connected to Omada (https://omada.tplinkcloud.com/) or local ip.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-05-27 17:13:06

@JSchnee21 

Thanks for responding Jonathan.  Maybe I'm missing something.  I went to the link you gave me and my AP does not appear.  I do see a + Add Hardware controller option.  I don't think I need to do that though as that is for adding a controller.

Do I need a controller for this device to work?  I watched a Youtube video and it seems this device can just be used on its own.  Never had so much trouble with an AP before. 

I have the AP connected to my router and powered on.  Should it just appear in the Omada console you linked?

Thanks,

Chris

Options
2020-05-27 17:20:41

Hi @cgcmgr70,

Are you running the OC-200 or the Omada Server application?  Is the 225-Outdoor hardwired (Ethernet)?  Has it leased an IP address from your router?

OC-200

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/ceiling-mount-access-point/oc200/

Omada Server

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/eap225-outdoor/#Controller_Software

EAP Discovery Software

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/eap225-outdoor/#EAP_Discovery_Tool

-Jonathan

Options
2020-05-27 17:24:03

Hi @cgcmgr70,

When you are logged into Omada (software or OC-200), and your new EAP is powered on is should show up in the "Pending" tab of Omada.  You can then adopt it.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-05-27 17:35:30

@JSchnee21 

I'm not running anything other than connecting the AP to my router.  No Omada Server application and no OC-200.  Is this needed?  From what I saw on Youtube and read in the instructions, I didn't need any of this.  I checked my router and the AP doesn't show up.  No leased IP and no devices with the AP's MAC address showing.  The AP continues to blink green ecery 4-5 seconds.

Options
2020-05-27 17:39:38 - last edited 2020-05-27 17:46:06

@JSchnee21 

Also, clicking ont he link you provided for Omada, I do not see any Pending tab.  All I see is headings from left to right that say:

NAME   MAC ADDRESS   LOCAL IP   STATUS   SITES   DEVICES   CLIENTS   ALERTS   VERSION   FIRMWARE   ACTION

Above these headings is says All   OC200   Software Controller

Options
2020-05-27 17:54:12

Hi @cgcmgr70,

sorry, you threw me off when you said you were using the Omada App.  I assumed you were using the Omada Management server as well.

is the AP connected to your router via Ethernet?  With the mid span power injector?

the AP first needs to lease an IP from your DHCP server ( built into most routers).  Once it does, you can configure it using either a browser and going to the IP of the AP.  Or if your existing WiFi network is on the same subnet, the new AP should appear under the Stand Alone tab in the mobile App.

if you still cannot find it, try the EAP discovery wizard.  Or if DHCP is failing, you may need to temporarily change the IP of your PC to match the default subnet of the AP so you can browse to its default ip to log in and configure it through the Web UI.

Options
2020-05-27 18:03:33

@JSchnee21 

Yep, I have the AP connected to my router using an Ethernet cable and I'm using the PoE adapter for power.  AP just blinks green slowly.  I thought it was supposed to be a solid green.  

The AP is not leasing an IP.  Nothing shows up in my router.  If it I did I would have accessed the IP in a browser and configure it that way as you said.  No IP though.

I was thinking of changing the PC's IP to match the default subnet of the AP, but I don't know what it is.  I do not see that information anywhere.

I will try the EAP Discovery Wizard.

Options
2020-05-27 18:09:30

Hi @cgcmgr70,

I believe the default ip is 192.168.0.254

there was another thread on the board recently who also had difficulty getting the AP to lease an Ip from his Asus router.  He happened to have a different router and then it worked.

-Jonathan 

Options
2020-05-27 18:38:57

@JSchnee21 

Thanks, I'll try the default IP.  Unfortunately, the EAP Discovery tool did not find anything.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 14685

Replies: 20

Related Articles