Controlling my Access Point remotely

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-11 04:22:57 - last edited 2020-06-11 12:32:49
Model: EAP115  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 3.5.0 Build 20200113 Rel. 64098

Hello!

I just bought recently the EAP 115 'cuz I wanted to have a bit more control over my network. I bought this access point 'cuz I really wanted a captive portal. I thought that there's a full software cloud manager for the access point but they told me that the cloud-based controller was not yet released and the hardware alternative "OC200" seems to be unavailable due to the coronavirus circumstances as it is almost sold out and there was no import for about 3 months.

As y'all know, it's almost impossible to dedicate a computer to host the Omada Software Controller 24/7.

So could be there any alternatives to keep this access point running without a computer 24/7? And will be the upcoming SDN Controller available for the EAP 115 once released?

If it would be downloadable for my access point, when will it be released?

Thanks in advance!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Controlling my Access Point remotely
2020-06-12 19:53:13

Hi @PeterJohn03,

What country are you in?  The OC-200 is readily available from Amazon in the USA -- it's currently $115.70.  I don't think it is region specific -- as it is USB / PoE powered.

Or you can run the Omada software for free in the mean time.  I've heard the some folks have it running on a Raspberry pie.  I use the OC-200 myself.  

There is no official SDN release date yet as far as I know (I'm a customer like you).  And even when there is, it is not clear which geogrpahic regions will get it first, nor what it will run on.  My understanding is that there is to be a full cloud version, but I have not idea if it will be free (seems unlikely to me, but that's just a guess). 

There will also be a hybrid / hardware solution, but I haven't seen definitively whether this will be for the OC-200, the Security Gateway, or some new additional device (or perhaps multiple of these options).

You want to use vouchers for your business / wifi customers?  There's no need for vouchers in a home context.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-06-12 20:09:15

Hi @PeterJohn03,

I should add, once the AP is configured, you don't have to keep Omada running.  The AP/Wifi will work fine without it.

BUT, the following capabilities will not be available if Omada is not running:

1) Vouchers / Captive portal -- requires Omada

2) Remote/Cloud management -- requires Omada

3) Fast Roaming (not essential / relevent with only one EAP) -- requires Omada (but normal roaming is fine for most people)

4) Dynamic wireless MESH reconfiguration -- requires Omada -- not relevent since your AP doesn't support.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-06-13 11:14:58

@JSchnee21 Thanks before everything!

I know that the AP runs fine without Omada, But I need the captive portal to keep running. That was tye primary reasin that made me purchase that AP.

I'm in Egypt. Amazon stuff are transported by freights. You obviously know that no air shipping is available at least for now.

Can we just install the Omada firmware on a router, or something like a router that is designed to run 24/7? Something like Raspberry Pi. 

JSchnee21 wrote

Hi @PeterJohn03,

I should add, once the AP is configured, you don't have to keep Omada running.  The AP/Wifi will work fine without it.

3) Fast Roaming (not essential / relevent with only one EAP) -- requires Omada (but normal roaming is fine for most people)

4) Dynamic wireless MESH reconfiguration -- requires Omada -- not relevent since your AP doesn't support.

-Jonathan

JSchnee21 wrote

Hi @PeterJohn03,

-Jonathan

Options
2020-06-13 15:10:27

Hi @PeterJohn03,

Omada is a full blown application consisting of a web service and a database.  It can be installed on MS Windows 32 & 64 bit, Linux, and I think MacOS/OSX.  Yes, I think a few folks have gotten it running on Raspberry Pie (which is just a tiny Linux compouter).

-Jonathan

Options
2020-06-14 03:21:51

@JSchnee21 Many thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1151

Replies: 5

Related Articles