How to connect 2 EAP225-outdoor on mesh via the Omada App

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-22 17:44:42 - last edited 2020-06-22 17:47:50
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, 

How can i get the 2 EAP225-outdoor in mesh configuration ?

I've connected them throug standalone ap's...how to get them on mesh now.

I can't work with the Omada Controller Software as i don't have pc, just Apple iMac & iPhone

thx for helping me out !

2nd question....should i need the Omada Hardware Controller OC200?

Options
6 Reply
Re:How to connect 2 EAP225-outdoor on mesh via the Omada App
2020-06-23 02:19:37

Hi @Pyna,

Welcome!  At least one of your EAP's needs to be hard wired to your router.  You can then make it the "Master Node" to which the other AP is conncted wirelessly (MESH).

What are you trying to accomplish?  Do you have other indoor AP's / EAP's?  If, for example, you have an EAP225V3 indoor, it can be the Master Node for both of the Outdoor units.  What do you use for Wifi in your house now?  You can turn off the Wifi in your router / cable modem and add an EAP225V3 from Amazon for $59.

Still, you'll get best performance if everything is hardwired.

Omada Server Software (or the OC-200) is required for MESH configuration, dynamic reconfiguration, and Fast roaming.  Buying the OC-200 is the easiest solution (that's what I have -- note that you need to supply it power -- micro USB 5V or PoE -- as it does not come with a power adapter).  The OC200 used to be available on Amazon for $80-100 but it seems to be out of stock at the moment.

You can run Omada on Windows on Linux.  Some folks have run it on Raspberry Pie.  I would think you could make it work on Mac since this is just BSD.  Or in a docker container, etc.  

Once everything is setup, you don't have to run Omada all of the time -- though you would lose fast roaming and dynamic MESH reconfiguration if it's not running.  So you could, for example, install it on a work laptop to get things setup.  Or borrow a friend's PC temporarily.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-06-23 05:51:00

Hi, @JSchnee21 

I would like to configure 2x EAP225-outdoor in a mesh configuration.

So i can take them with me on holiday, where i connect one to the internet in the holiday house and the second one i will use near the pool but via the mesh configuration.

So i guess i need the OC-200 to get the config set up and afterwards i can take the both EAP's with me on holiday and it should work ?

sorry, but not familiar with configs ...

thx in advance for helping me out, maybe with the correct steps for configuration....

Options
2020-06-23 11:22:11 - last edited 2020-06-23 11:25:38

JSchnee21 wrote

I would think you could make it work on Mac since this is just BSD.

Unfortunately, Omada Controller checks for the platform it is running on since v3.0.1 for reasons I still don't understand and refuses to run the Windows Java start method on Linux and vice versa. Thus, you can't port latest versions to MacOS. Older versions of Omada Controller such as v2.7.0 could indeed be ported to MacOS. A docker image running Linux on MacOS could help, yes.

I did suggest to R&D already to remove the platform tests in Java's start method, but so far it has not been decided by TP-Link.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-10-02 17:06:21

Hi, i have a question also. please help me,

I have 3 EAP225 outdoor units and i want to set up a Mesh network. This will be an outdoor network maybe about 50-70 meters between each unit, and the fist one(eap225) will be attach to network cable(LAN) to a switch and this switch is getting the IP's and internet from the router(Mikrotik) and the 2nd AP (eap225) will be getting the connection from the 1st AP tru wireless, and then the 3rd AP(eap225) will get its connection to the 2nd AP tru wireless also. my question are:

1. Should i First Upgrade my eap225 outdoor to a latest firmware?

2. how would i connect the 2nd and 3rd AP wirelessly? is it automatically be connected when we use same SSID?, because it seems that eap255 had no bridge mode. (sorry i only use comfast as bridge before)

3. can i just use omada software and install it to my pc to setup the mesh? What would happen to the 2nd and 3rd AP if will turn off my computer where the omada software is installed? can i still connect my phone to the 3rd AP even if no omada?

4.What if after these setup with omada software on my pc, and later i will install the hardware omada oc200 on the network, do i need to configure again?

5. I want these three AP will get the ip from my mikrotik router and these three AP will be use as HOTPOT voucher type password.. is it possible? will the mesh will be compromise?

6. Can i make two Root AP just for backup incase the other Root AP will be down.

7.My 6th question is just for another idea come into my mind.

Can we use AP CPE220,CPE510,or WBS510 will be the source AP/Internet (it is connected by lan cable from the router) and throw the signal around 1km to the next AP (eap225) and these eap225 will be the Root AP for next mesh setup on that location?

Thank you in advance..

Options
2020-12-05 19:29:32

@JSchnee21 Hello. I'm trying to do something similar. I have (2) eap outdoor 225 and (1) indoor 265hd. I'm trying to bridge two buildings. I have one eap225 outside with a lan connection to the router. it's such a short distance... I can already pick up the wifi from the single 225. I want to make that the Master Node as you call it and have the 265 hd  inside pick up its signal and mesh it together / repeat it.  The 265 also has a bridge out .. i was hoping to connect that do a simple 5 port switch for a lan connection in that building. Can I do that???? How do i set the unit to Master Node?? I have the Omada software.

Options
2021-09-28 21:12:55

@Jayson,

My God you are describing( with the inclusion of the CPE210s) my query about mesh via the EAP 225, which was erroneously( it appears) recommended to me via TP-Link TechSupp("TS"). to work with my existing CPE210s from the farmhouse to the Museum/Apt. across the road. Unfortunately,  I've not found anything that even includes the two in the same paragraph much the same sentence. 

I just had login problems to my Linksys 7300 router and called their TS, and was fortunate to have a very knowledgable young lady who helped me by-pass Chromes Security and get in with, of all things the supercession  of IE(groannn), Edge, and Bam...in!

....bottom line I asked her to explain more than the concept of Mesh...turns out there is a consortium of EasyMesh participants and...unfortunately...TP-link appears NOT to be a member...yet weirdly a "contributor".  Omada and other cloud/hardware controller/software for Network admin/mesh admin used by TP-link don't appear to talk to EasyMesh folks. 

Ahhhh Welll...my EAP outdoor is gangbusters to my shed 100' away...but with the walls and doors (of the sheet-metal-sandwich structure) closed, its a faraday cage...soooo I'm leaning to fabbing my own DIY antenna out of coax to router antenna conx( I forget the proper terminology name), hooking it up to a router acting as a repeater and closing the door of my shed workspace this winter.

Good luck with your affair....lemme know what you ended up doing.

Chas

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5505

Replies: 6