Omada wired network question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-23 14:49:08
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 0

Hello,

I wish to replicate my home Deco setup for a business, my home setup is as follows:

Internet Modem/Router --> (DMZ) Deco main unit --> Switch

From there I have one Deco as Mesh unit and another on a different floor using ethernet backhaul.

This works absolutely as a dream and the Deco app also shows and manages my wired devices which are connected to the switch.

(Yes, there is a double NAT going on here since I cannot bridge my Internet Modem/Router)

Looking at the Omada line with the EAP245 and OC200 I see it does not do any actual routing. Would this setup still work?

Internet Router --> EAP245 --> Switch

On the switch we will connect up another few AEP245's and wired devices, including the OC200.

A wired device may also be connected through one of those AEP245's.

Would this work with the OC200 Cloud controller solution also showing all the wired devices and which IP's they have and to which AEP245 they are connected?

(since they are either directly connected by ethernet through an AEP245 or directly on the switch which has an AEP245 on route to/from the Internet connection)

Options
5 Reply
Re:Omada wired network question
2020-06-23 15:04:58

While you should be able to connect them this way, there is no need to.

This is the better way.

router ----- switch ==== multiple access points

For Deco, the main unit controls them so you need to have the satellite units behind it.

For EAPs, each access point is independent of others. You configure them either independently (access each EAP's web page), or you have an OC200 or Omada software controller that manages all of them.

You can also mesh them via wifi, but there is no separate channel for mesh, so throughput is reduced.

The OC200 will not show wired devices, but a future release (tp-link's sdn controller, which should be released soonish, or maybe sometime this year, and should just be a software upgrade for the OC200) should be able to manage a TP-Link switch.

Options
2020-06-23 15:28:30

nojak wrote

While you should be able to connect them this way, there is no need to.

This is the better way.

router ----- switch ==== multiple access points

For Deco, the main unit controls them so you need to have the satellite units behind it.

For EAPs, each access point is independent of others. You configure them either independently (access each EAP's web page), or you have an OC200 or Omada software controller that manages all of them.

You can also mesh them via wifi, but there is no separate channel for mesh, so throughput is reduced.

The OC200 will not show wired devices, but a future release (tp-link's sdn controller, which should be released soonish, or maybe sometime this year, and should just be a software upgrade for the OC200) should be able to manage a TP-Link switch.

@nojak 

Of course I can do the obvious router -> switch -> access points/OC200/Wired devices.

But I really like the idea of being able to see and manage both wired and wireless clients.

Being able to to manage both the Wifi using OC200/Cloud and a TP-Link switch would fulfill my wish but i'm very cautious with promises like "soonish".

Perhaps someone from TP-Link can verify this and give insights in to which TP-Link switch we would be talking about as I intend to purchase a solution in the next few weeks.

Options
2020-06-23 19:22:58 - last edited 2020-06-23 19:23:36

TP-Link has not provided any dates for the SDN controller that I can find. These two links may help.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/202078

https://www.tp-link.com/us/solution/omada-sdn/

If you have devices that can be managed via the SDN controller, it just detects devices on the local LAN. How they are connected does not matter.

Perhaps @jonas or @forrest from TP-Link can provide some more info.

Options
2020-06-24 03:00:30

nojak wrote

TP-Link has not provided any dates for the SDN controller that I can find. These two links may help.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/202078

https://www.tp-link.com/us/solution/omada-sdn/

If you have devices that can be managed via the SDN controller, it just detects devices on the local LAN. How they are connected does not matter.

Perhaps @jonas or @forrest from TP-Link can provide some more info.

@nojak 

Hi,

The SDN solution products will be published in the next month. And we will update the informatino in official website about which kinds of products will support the SDN solution.

Options
2020-06-24 03:20:21

@jonas thank you for the info. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1712

Replies: 5

Related Articles