Interesting Setup, Need Some Help[TL-R470T]

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-28 01:13:09 - last edited 2021-04-19 10:58:26

I have a brand new TL-R470T that I purchased.  Long story shot, I need to be able to connect 2 mobile broadband routers to the TP-Link then into my computer.

Both conenctions have unlimited bandwidth but they can periodically reset which is a huge no-go for my small business.  I have yet to see them reset at the same time, but I

am sure it could eventually happen.

Anyway, the two mobile broadband routers are from different manufacturers as well as completely different carries.

Aircard 771s using Sprint LTE

Alcatel HH41NH using AT&T LTE

Now, this is where things get very tricky.  I can easily plug the Aircard into a dedicated Intel NUC that has a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro.  The drivers install and I get shareable internet.  The way I tested it to make sure it shares the Sprint internet is through basic internet sharing and then plugging a cat5e into the ethernet with the other end going to my main desktop(the NUC is not used for remote/streaming work - just a middle man for now).  I am now on the internet on my main desktop as I type this and have a perfectly fine internet connection.  If I input 192.168.0.1 on this machine, I get the TP-Link Load Balancer login page(as expected).  Also, if I input 192.168.1.1 on the NUC, I get the Aircard login page(as expected).  Now, the NUC gets a 192.168 based IP from the LAN that is built into the Aircard but I am also able to clearly see the actual real IP address on the router pages.

For my extensive testing that I have done with my limited knowledge, I swapped the ethernet from gonig to this computer and into WAN port 1 on the R470T.  I put an ethernet cable going from the solo LAN port(the last port on the R470T) to this desktop I am using.

Connection Status Connected
IP Address 192.168.1.177
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4

So, it isn't getting the actual IP from Aircard itself but an IP based on the 192.168.x.x given to the NUC through LAN on the Aircard.  If I try a ping attempt to 8.8.8.8, it times out.

That's where I am stuck with the Aircard.  I am obviously getting shareable internet as this desktop would not get internet otherwise when I directly connect the NUC to this desktop.

Moving on to the Alcatel, things look more promising.  The Alcatel has two outbound ethernet connections.  I have plugged in an ethernet cable from port 1 into WAN/LAN 1 on the R470T(that's the first hybrid port - actually the second port if you are looking at the R470T).  Similar outcome.  I can do the same process of connecting the desktop from the Alcatel's ports and get internet that is also shareable(but unnecessary to add yet another machine).  The desktop is given a 192.168 based IP but I can log into the router and see the AT&T IP address easily enough.  If I view the connection status via the R470T(the Alcatel being plugged into WAN/LAN 1 as previously stated):

Connection Status Connected
IP Address 192.168.1.178
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4

The interesting change here from the Sprint connection is that I CAN get a successful ping test.  But, I cannot traceroute successfully.  

Here is a simplified layout of topography:

Aircard -> NUC -> WAN R470T

Alcatel -> WAN/LAN 1 R470T

LAN -> this desktop

Not getting any internet on this desktop in that configuration.  I would appreciate ANY possible suggestions on how to go about solving this situation.  I have confidence it can be done somehow.  Years back, I successfully connected a phone in hotspot configuration to a computer which then shared the internet to a wireless router which then fed multiple devices through the LAN ports to 4 computers(was a mess but was necessary for a temporary solution way back in 2014).  I did not really have to work any magic there though.

Just kind of lost here on what I need to do in order to get 2 sources of internet to work on 1 machine and this was the method I wanted to try first without paying some horrible monthly fee to do it through cloud based applications.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Interesting Setup, Need Some Help[TL-R470T]
2020-07-01 09:31:16 - last edited 2021-04-19 10:58:26

@MSanity 

Hello, you may upgrade the router to the latest firmware, configure the connection type with Dynamic IP, and restart the Aircard/Alcatel devices to have a try.

If still the same, you could also try MAC Clone with the setup Aircard/Alcatel  -> WAN R470T LAN -> this desktop: choose the menu Network --> MAC after you login the router, click Clone Current PC's MAC for corresponding WAN connections.

Good luck!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 531

Replies: 1

Related Articles