Terrible performance and 2.4 only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-30 09:12:35
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.20

So I'm trying to sort the Wi-fi out in my large fsrm

house. 

ive got 3 x eap 225 v3 and 1xeap 225 outdoor

all the inside ones are ceiling mounted. They are on different levels of the house. 

I mainly use Apple products, iPad, iPhone, MacBook, MacBook Pro. 

5ghz only seems to work if I'm pretty much directly under the AP. 2.4 works and shows good signal on devices around the house but I only get about 20mpbs. When on 5ghz and under one the ap then I get around 400mbps connection. 

ive tried with mesh enabled and not. I've tried setting different channels and leaving on auto. Tried setting the channel width. Band steering is enabled. 

many advice is welcomed. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Terrible performance and 2.4 only
2020-06-30 13:55:07

Hi @DenisCooper81,

Welcome!  So you have 4 total AP's, three indoor 225V3's and one Outdoor.  I have a similar setup, but only two indoor units.  Are the units on the current firmware -- 2.7.0 for the EAP225 and 1.7.0 for the Outdoor?

Are all 4 devices Ethernet connected?  Or just the indoor units, and the outdoor is MESH?  What kind of broadband service do you have?  Cable, FIOS, etc?  What speed DL/UL?

Are you using Omada Software application for configuration?  Or do you have the OC-200?

Here are some general recommendations:

1) Set all AP radio channels manually.  (I'm assuming you are in the USA?) For 2.4 use channels 1,6,11 using 20MHz BW (not 40MHz or 20/40MHz).  For 5.8GHz there are only TWO non-overlapping 80MHz channels (e.g. ~36 and ~149) -- this is the main reason I only have two EAP's in my home.  If your home is very large, you can try experimenting with different configurations (transmit power / RF overlap depending on AP location), but you may need to limit these to be 40MHz channels instead. 

2) Use the discrete BW settings, e.g. 20 OR 40 OR 80 for 5.8GHz, not 20/40/80.  No need to use 20 for 5.8GHz, but you will have to try 40 vs 80 for 5.8.  40MHz will enable you to choose different, non-overlapping channels for each AP.  But 40MHz is slower and may or many not perform better than having some frequency overlap.  SImilarly, if you are using MESH for the outdoor unit, you will want the root node which is hosting the MESH to use 80MHz.

2) Lower your transmit power to Medium on all radios (8 settings changes, 2 per AP).  Better yet use the Custom setting and choose the dBm equivalent -- usually ~14 to 16 dBM.  You may have to adjust these further (usually to a lower power) depending on how physically close each AP is to one another.

3) Turn off Band Steering

4) Turn of MESH -- unless you need it for the ourtoor unit

5) Use separate SSID's for 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz -- for example myssid_24 and myssid _58.  Join your wireless clients to ONLY ONE SSID.

6) Enable FAST roaming, if you are running an OC-200 or the Omada Server 24x7.

I have all of my Apple devices on the 5.8GHz 80MHz SSID, for example.  I generally see ~200-450 Mbit/sec DL and UL using internet speed tests (I have Gigabit FIOS) across my various apple devices (iphones, ipads, etc.).  I have 11 Apple devices on my network, plus another 30-35 other devices at any givent time -- 6 laptops, 5 Nest cameras, many Alexa's, multiple IoT devices, etc.

FYI, I usally see ~70-110 Mbit/sec on the 2.4GHz / 20MHz radios and 350-450 Mbit/sec on the 5.8Ghz / 80Mhz radios (when I'm fairly close to them).

Download an app like inSSIDER which you can use to "see" all of the wireless network from your home / neighbors.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-06-30 14:20:35
Denis, Since you're Apple, you can use the built-in wifi diagnostics on a Mac, or download NetSpot (free version) to see the channels and RSSI. Both do the same, but NetSpot can auto-update every 10 seconds. We're also an Apple house. Multiple EAP245s and EAP225s. No issues (only annoyance is that Macbooks don't support fast roaming, which is an Apple/MacOS limitation). I have 3 SSIDs configured (one for 5G, one for 2.4G and one for both, which is preferred). I use the 5G one cause sometimes the Macs are dumb and pick 2.4G. The 2.4G is only for testing. The dual-band is used the most. Band steering enabled. Fast roaming enabled. QoS at default. I'm using the Omada software controller, so I get fast roaming; if you are not using it, you don't see that option. My Tx power is very low (custom and most set to 6-8, some 12-16). Used NetSpot to finetune Tx Power.
Options
2020-06-30 14:33:54

thanks for the replies.

im in the UK....

all AP's (indoor and outdoor) are all connected via CAT6 - the indoor ones to a TPLInk Gigabit POE switch and the outdoor one to an 8port tplink poe switch. The two switches are connected by CAT6. 

Im also using the OC200 controller. 

I was trying to avoid seperate SSID for the 2.4 and 5, but if this is the only way around it then happy to so.

I've got NetSpot Home Addition and am going to do another WiFi survey, although im not sure how to best interpret the results when i get them sometimes. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 596

Replies: 3

Related Articles