Need help figuring out what's my next Omada step

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-03 16:24:44
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Howdy All from good ole' Tucson, AZ (USA)

Omada home user here.

So I setup 3 eap's (2- 225, 1- 225-wall) at my house.  I'm using the software based controller.  Everything is connected with either CAT 6 or CAT 5e.  Wifi is perfect, no complaints.  I have about 8 drops in my house all feeding back to a 8 port Aumox POE switch, which connects to fiber internet.  I have my TVs on ethernet.  And will add some POE security cameras soon.  I went with the 8 port Aumox, because its an outside install and they boast a higher that Ubiquiti/TP Link operating temp at a $60 price point.  

So here are my questions:  I want to beef up my internet security.  I'm really interested in setting up a Pi Hole Ad Blocker and I've been wanting to get a security appliance that will sniff out all the bad stuff my 3 kids will throw at it.  I've been waiting patiently for the Omada Security Gateway.  Will the new hardware SDN solution give me a PfSense appliance and a Omada controller all in one?  Will this replace me having to use OpenDNS?  What about Ad filtering? Also, will it allow me to monitor my hardwired devices?   I'm trying hard to stay with a TP-Link only ecosystem.  

Lastly, anyone know of a Youtuber that caters to Omada setups.  I can only find the Ubiquiti fan bois out there in full force.  I want to setup VLANs/Port Forwarding for my IOT devices and could stumble through it but thought i'd ask.  

Salud & Stay safe.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Need help figuring out what's my next Omada step
2020-07-03 16:51:56 - last edited 2020-07-03 17:11:45

@Stonewall77 Hi!  I am testing the TPLink AP's and hope the SDN ecosystem will work just like or better than Unifi has it now and I have to have for all my networks..... Guess we will see how it all pans out in the near future of it.....

I sell and install all Reolink cameras and NVR's in my clients networks and it is solid, sharp and the easiest I have seen to setup and install.  All cameras I use are wired back to the NVR or POE switches where needed.

I am also looking at and going to test other brands now coming out strong for a good reason I feel.... some of these hardware companies are now selling "false advertised" hardware that I call just junk.  No way I will sell or install those unreliable devices on all the networks I maintain for clients.

Options
2020-07-03 17:06:24

@Doc2485

Thanks for the reply.  I've heard good things about reolink cameras.  I'll check 'em out.   

Options
2020-07-03 17:30:22

@Stonewall77 Pi-Hole will get most of the functions you want about ad-blocking and parental controls. You can install it on the same computer you run the controller. My setup has the Omada controller and Pi-Hole running at a Raspberry Pi 4, and works like a charm. 

On the Pi-Hole and extra security, you didn't mention the kind of router you have? Assuming it's from your network provider? Because if you install Pi-Hole, you need to disable DHCP address assignment inside that router. And for playing with NAT, port forwarding and VLANs, it will easier and faster if you have a router that allows that.

I only have my devices into a single subnet so I just use my network provider router, and I don't do port forwarding or NAT as my cable operator has CGNAT, but the basic router provided by them can perform these functions. For a home use, I can live without a separate / fancier router.  

Options
2020-07-03 18:07:53

@LucianoR 

Thanks for the response.  My router is a CenturyTel provided Zylex wifi/router with the wifi turned off.  So I think you sold me.  I'll dust off my R Pi 3 and try out Pi-hole and work to setup the omada controller.  

I'm still thinking I need a separate vlan for my iot devices. 

Also, how do I handle non-ad related security?  My 8 year old loves those crappy ipad games that I hear are full of bad junk.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1596

Replies: 4