[Update 11/2020] Omada SDN Controller 4.2.4 for Devuan, Debian and other Linux systems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

[Update 11/2020] Omada SDN Controller 4.2.4 for Devuan, Debian and other Linux systems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
139 Reply
Re:Omada SDN Controller 4.1.5 for Devuan, Debian and other Linux systems
2020-08-07 22:20:23

@chili-bean, you're welcome anytime. Glad it works. Have much fun with the controller (and with Linux wink).

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-08-08 00:22:16

R1D2 wrote

chili-bean wrote

what I meant was that I double-click on a .exe file and it installs everything I need first time.  No cruising google or forums to get it to work.

Yes, it installs everything needed with each new application. The surprise begins when trying to run two applications at the same time which installed their own copies of mongodb or different drivers for the same hardware adapter. Suddenly »something doesn't work since last week anymore«.

For example, see this thread where a customer bought a Pharos CPE and replaced it three times by a new device b/c his Windows PC refuses to connect to the web UI. I guess his system got so screwed up over the time, that even a web browser doesn't work anymore as expected. Typical recommendation at the end: remove the OS, re-install from the beginning. And remember two reboot seven dozen times during installation.

Did you know that MS did hide a big movie in their Office product, which shows you their office rooms in Redmond if you manage to find the secret keycode to start playing this movie? They waste your disk space with such a crap, don't even tell you about it and at the end one wonders why the new Windows version needs much more disk space and more RAM, forcing you to buy a new PC. Big business for MS, waste of time for the customer.

I worked with colleagues who had to support Windows (I gave Linux trainings, this was their main business). About 70% of their time those colleagues had been hunting for bugs, misconfigurations, broken registries, missing drivers etc. etc. Only 30% of their time was spent for productive work.

Now we will see what happens if MS finishes »their own Linux« currently being »developed« there (that means being »infiltrated with standards-breaking code«). You can bet that it won't interoperate easily with other open systems. MS has a long history of bringing FUD to the IT, breaking common open standards and always make their own thing. The notation of »their own Linux« alone discloses their agenda.

Back to Omada Controller: Until v4.1.5 Omada Controller for Linux came bundled with (some) prerequisites such as JRE and a pretty out-of-date version of mongodb, too. It was directly ported 1:1 from Windows. Since this did interfere with system-provided mongodb on Linux I urged R&D to use the system-provided packages instead. But the issue is still not resolved fully b/c Omada Controller starts its own instance of mongodb instead of just connecting to an already runing one provided by the system. This still needs to be changed IMO.

Anyway, on distributions like Raspbian (a Debian fork) or Devuan (another Debian fork) installation of Omada Controller is just a matter of installing the .deb package and it runs out of the box.

Recently Debian lost many developers and maintainers from their core team when introducing systemd in Debian, which is a good example for doing software the wrong way by following the Windows philosophy. Everything you can think of is going to be integrated in systemd.

The list of bugs and exploits in systemd grows every day and sysadmins learn to waste an increasing amount of their time just for hunting bugs in systemd. The core members from Debian who left the project are now working on the systemd-free Devuan project. Take a look at this distribtuion (https://devuan.org/) if you want a stable system suitable for use on servers.

But don't worry with the big Linux learning curve. Every day you learn more and after some time you can always find a solution very quickly to solve any task using Linux. At least you should now be able to run Omada Controller on your Debian system, provided you have the latest stable distribution which supports a modern mongodb.

@R1D2

I'm confused by this long post... 🤔

Your saying there is a way to run it on rabian? And if so.. How? Can we have more details on that plz? Blush

Options
2020-08-08 10:02:44 - last edited 2020-08-08 10:13:30

DanielD wrote

Your saying there is a way to run it on rabian? And if so.. How?

Please, if you include quotes in a reply, strip the quote down to the point you are asking about. Thanks.

To answer your question:

One goal of making a community version was to create an architecture-independend package, so that it can be used on Linux systems with other CPU architectures than only x86.

You could run any versions of Omada Controller up to v3.2.10 on Raspbian with Oracle JRE8, jsvc and mongodb packages from the Raspbian repositories. All three required packages had been pre-installed in Raspbian up to Stretch at least IIRC.

The issue with running Omada SDN Controller v4.1.5 on a RasPi is the mongodb version available from the Raspbian repos which still is out-of-date version 2.4. Unfortunately this version is incompatible with SDN Controller. OTOH, you can't easily compile latest mongodb versions on Raspbian, since modern mongodb versions require a 64 bit CPU while Raspbian still is compiled for 32 bit CPUs (despite its ARM CPU is 64 bit). In other words: To compile mongodb v3.x on a RasPi you would have to compile and install the whole Raspbian OS in 64 bit mode.

So, @Ronald1965 did create a docker image with a more modern mongoodb version which can be installed on 32 bit Raspbian.

You can find it here: https://github.com/ronald-den-otter/omada-sdn-controller

Options
2020-08-17 22:52:54

@R1D2 Could I request that the depencies of this package are adjusted to depend on the mongodb-org packages (now appears to be the recommended way of installing mongodb on Debian now that the mongodb packages have been removed from most Debian repositories) please? Could depend on mongodb or mongodb-org to facilitate backwards compatibility?

Thanks for maintaining the community version of the package!

Options
2020-08-18 01:25:50 - last edited 2020-08-18 01:29:02

@R1D2 hi,

I've noticed weird connection to kcart.alipay.com, can't even login to the panel if it's blocked,required third party cookie from there too. Do you know if this can be solved? And why it's happening? Is it still required with the non community version?

Options
2020-08-18 07:10:25

half_monkey wrote

@R1D2 Could I request that the depencies of this package are adjusted to depend on the mongodb-org packages (now appears to be the recommended way of installing mongodb on Debian now that the mongodb packages have been removed from most Debian repositories) please? Could depend on mongodb or mongodb-org to facilitate backwards compatibility?

@half_monkey 

I ran into this problem recently as well. I updated mongodb on my debian 10 and unwittingly followed instructions like these docs.mongodb.com/manual/tutorial/install-mongodb-on-debian/

I ran into a problem updating to the 3.2.10 Community edition deb file because it couldn't find mongodb!

Of course it makes perfect sense now that i realize the name has changed.

dpkg -l | grep mongod
ii  mongodb-org                   4.2.8                        amd64        MongoDB open source document-oriented database system (metapackage)
ii  mongodb-org-mongos            4.2.8                        amd64        MongoDB sharded cluster query router
ii  mongodb-org-server            4.2.8                        amd64        MongoDB database server
ii  mongodb-org-shell             4.2.8                        amd64        MongoDB shell client
ii  mongodb-org-tools             4.2.8                        amd64        MongoDB tools

can i modify the deb to look for the -org variant?

Options
2020-08-18 07:17:03

half_monkey wrote

Could depend on mongodb or mongodb-org to facilitate backwards compatibility?

Thanks for the info. Will change it ASAP. 

Options
2020-08-18 07:21:31

Hi jsrfuture, I saw this, too. I guess it's for the Omada SDN Cloud Controller (the SW controller running natively in the cloud) TP-Link plans to release soon. Probably they do not want to maintain two different SW versions.

Options
2020-08-18 07:23:19

elmado wrote

can i modify the deb to look for the -org variant?

Yes, you can do so if in a hurry, but I will change it in the package ASAP.

Options
2020-08-18 16:31:11

Hi half_monkey,

the new package has been uploaded to my FTP server.

I did not change the package release number to avoid upgrades of already existing installations which use the older mongodb package.

Thus, the filename remains the same: omada-sdn-controller_4.1.5-1_all.deb

Checksums have changed:

$ md5sum -b omada-sdn-controller_4.1.5-1_all.deb
    ee5e60b690a54d0a82f2679f639896ea *omada-sdn-controller_4.1.5-1_all.deb

$ sha256sum -b omada-sdn-controller_4.1.5-1_all.deb
    8396eb0accdb5f5e213e92b1f9ff0e837576bd0871f77bb161cd694fd31d11a4 *omada-sdn-controller_4.1.5-1_all.deb

I have set mongodb-org v3.6.10 as minimum requirement. Omada Controller should run with this or newer versions of mongodb-org.

Thanks again for notifying me.

Options