Multiple portals per site

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-17 08:45:13
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.7.0

I've recently updated my OC200 controller to the new firmware 1.7.0.

Before that, it was possible to create multiple portals per site.

for example I had 3 SSIDs in one site

xxx

xxx_guest

xxx_guest_longtime

where xxx is my internal SSID

xxx_guest is a guest wifi with portal (voucher)

and xxx_guest_longtime is a guest network with WPA2 and a portal with no identification so that they was recognized as guests.

with the new version I can only create one portal per site :-(

I can create a seconr site for sure, but I cannot assign the same APs for the second site.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Why had this been changed?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Multiple portals per site
2020-07-17 09:55:19 - last edited 2020-07-17 09:56:52

HKBlizzard wrote

with the new version I can only create one portal per site :-(

I really recommend to RTFM before upgrading.

From the Omada SDN Controller Upgrade Guide:

Why had this been changed?

Probably because:

- SDN Controller has major changes regarding features to be configured and adjusted features (see the Upgrade Guide),

- the portal will now work also for wired devices such as those connected to EAP-WALL ports & switches and

- the capture mechanism for the portal had to be changed for the latter function?

Just guessing, maybe it has those and/or other reasons.

Anyway, this is not the only major change making SDN controller a completely new product in my opinion, so I strongly recommend to RTFM.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-07-17 10:21:31

@R1D2 

to be honest I missed this part when reading the manual.

But I really think this is not an improvement, rather a degradation.

To create more than one portal per site was a great feature before.

Options
2020-07-17 11:26:24

HKBlizzard, can be seen from different points of view:

In older versions of Omada Controller it was not possible to use a portal for wired devices (wired to an Ethernet port of an EAP-WALL or a switch). This was a real drawback. If I understand the manual correctly, such portal redirects of guests using wired devices will now become possible with SDN Controller.

As I wrote, I'm guessing only. In our own Captive Portal software we have this restriction of one portal per site since ever, but we always could redirect guests to a portal even if they used a cable connection to an EAP-WALL using their Ethernet port(s) or a connection to a switch. In our software this restriction of one portal per site has technical reasons.

For some customers this might be a drawback, for others it's a long-awaited improvement.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 814

Replies: 3