Debian Omada Install Help

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-06 03:01:43 - last edited 2020-08-06 11:27:02
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I am trying to setup an AC1750 Omada EAP245. Running a recent version of debian (4.19.0-10-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.132-1 (2020-07-24) x86_64 GNU/Linux) and I cannot seem to meet the requirements to install the Omada controller (omada_SDN_v4.1.5_linux_x64_deb).  Can anyone point me to deb files for Java 8 and MongoDB 3.0.15-3.6.18?

For what it is worth, I have openjdk 11.0.8 2020-07-14 and mongodb-org-server_4.4.0.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Debian Omada Install Help
2020-08-06 07:24:58 - last edited 2020-08-06 11:27:02

@Ran_Dahl, I recommend to install either Oracle JRE8 from the TAR file on the Oracle website or give OpenJDK8 a try.

I prefer to use Oracle JRE8. Unfortunately, the Debian jsvc package seem to have an (unneeded) dependency to OpenJDK.

Thus, I did download the source of jsvc, compiled it as a stand-alone utility (it has no dependencies which are unmet by Omada SDN Controller already). As for mongodb v3.x I read somewhere that it should be available (again) in the repositories since Debian Buster.

Given all this, Debian has lost me. I did replace Debian by Devuan ASCII (https://devuan.org/) which is a fork of Debain and provides mongodb v3.2.11 in its repos.

BTW, you might want to try the community version of Omada SDN Controller found here. It allows parallel installation of different versions of Omada Controller (e.g. 3.2.10 and 4.1.5), comes with a comfortable management utility omadactl and fixes two bugs with wrong pathnames in the properties files still present in the official version.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-08-07 01:25:16
Thanks for your reply R1D2 and for your work in the other thread. I'm not actually sure I'd blame the debian maintainers for the issues here and I'd argue that Omada for linux is built with somewhat out-dated dependencies and distributed in a manner that makes it difficult to get running. I've managed to get the Oracle Java 8 JRE installed on debian 10. Of course, compiling a working version of jsvc also requires the Java 8 JDK. Sigh. In my experience, java apps are never as simple to deploy as they were intended to be. If ever there was a case of distributing a virtual-appliance, Omada is it. I'm honestly not that keen to switch distros just for the SDN controller and if this takes too much time to fiddle with, I'll just recommend we source different APs. This is a test-case and I don't have the budget to fiddle with it for days on end.
Options
2020-08-07 07:51:34 - last edited 2020-08-07 07:55:55

@Ran_Dahl, the point with Debian is that they stopped supporting Oracle JRE/JDK at some point in the past. Also, mongodb wasn't updated anymore and stayed at v2 until latest stable version of Debian which finally did update the mongodb package to v3.

Anyway, as I did write in the SDN controller thread: several Debian core team members left the project due to the direction the project takes. They now work on the Devuan project which continues what Debian used to be. I as an user of Debian for decades finally followed them after bad experiences with systemd such as a sudden, unexpected shutdown of our Internet server caused by systemd for no good reason.

That's not what Debian did stand for over decades. It seems they have other priorities now.

The decision to replace Debian by Devuan is not just based on being able to run SDN Controller. It affects daily work, too. I'm not willing to spent time as an unsolicited beta-tester for systemd and compilations of jsvc source code b/c of weird dependencies with OpenJDK in the jsvc package (not in the jsvc source code, tehre it just depends on some JDK include files found in any JDK!).

Regarding jsvc: I did introduce Privilege Spearation in controller version v2.6 with the start-stop-daemon utility available on every Linux which uses dpkg. Unfortunately, TP-Link R&D decided to rather use jsvc introduced in controller version v3.0 for reasons unknown to me.

I still have the hope to finally convince R&D to use start-stop-daemon to get rid of jsvc.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-12-11 13:27:59

@R1D2 

I'm not understanding what you're talking about Debian/Devuan in your reply.

I've got latest Debian with updated packages both for jre and mongodb, and the controller isn't working.

Please read about it at:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/241772?page=1

First of all I don't understand the need to use a database in a controller, if the system should only manage multiple access point at same time there's no need to archive data.

If the tplink access point are already running a linux system why not put one as "master" and the others one as "slave", why you need to setup an external controller?

Options