Which product is right for hotel ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-09 18:06:22

Hello guys,

We're building 4 star hotel in the mountains and we we'll have GPON internet with 1gb/s speed.

Hotel will have 70 rooms for guests and each room will have 1 Smart TV that will be connected to the wi-fi.

Currently we're looking for product(s) that will have those or more features:

1) Wi-FI 5 or Wi-fi 6 (preferable)

2) Both 2.4ghz and 5ghz will be under 1 name SSID

3) Speed limit for each device (each device will be limited to 5mb/s)

4) Everything (settings) can be controlled though app or WEB interface remotely

5) Power over Ethernet (PoE)

6) Also outdoor routers wil be needed to be connected

Can someone recoomend us which router or solutions should we look ? Every advise will be appreciated Any questions please, don't hesitate to ask

Options
119 Reply
Re:Which product is right for hotel ?
2020-08-10 06:12:09

Boriy wrote

Hotel will have 70 rooms for guests and each room will have 1 Smart TV that will be connected to the wi-fi.

I would strictly avoid to wirelessly connect stationary devices such as smart TVs to a hotel network.

For 70 rooms I would use EAP225-Wall, EAP230-Wall or EAP235-Wall in every room, depending on how many Ethernet ports are needed. Then I would use a wired connection of the smart TVs to an Ethernet port of those APs. This way, the WLAN is reserved for guests only. Please note that EAP225-Wall has Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) ports only, but if you limit the bandwidth to 40 Mbps (which equals 5 MB/s) anyway, it does't matter that much.

Note that such a project quickly approaches consulting level if you want it done right. You would need careful planning, consider the environmental influences, measure the existing interference caused by other (non-WLAN) RF devices using the same frequency band, install the EAPs in every room, measure again signal levels and SNR, optimize settings of the EAPs etc. etc.

Can someone recoomend us which router or solutions should we look ?

I recommend TP-Link's brand-new Omada SDN solution, which includes a router, switches and EAPs and which allows remote management of all devices. Only thing is that the SafeStream router (aka Omada Security Gateway, OSG) has still to hit the stores, so I have no practical experience with this router yet. Same is true for the WiFi-6 APs, which as far as I know don't include an EAP-Wall.

You could also try TP-Link's Network Deployment Advisor to see what this tool recommends.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-08-10 08:29:19

@R1D2 

Hello,

Thank you very much for informative advise. 

EAP235-Wall looks very good solution for each room. It has 3 ports and we can connect 1 Ethernet port to Smart TV and other for VoIP phone. 

We're thinking about static limit to 5mb/s since it should be enough for streaming FULL HD video. If we could find a solition, that will change it's speed dynamically (depending on bandwidth usage in real time), then no speed limit will be required. 

Omada seems good solution. However, since we have more than 100+ Tp-link devices connected, we'll probably wait for OC300, that can control up to 500 devices.

If we have OC300 + free software Omada Software Controller, do we still need Omada Cloud Based Controller ? From information that I read, I believe we can control it remotely from anywhere, as long as it's connected to the internet ?

Can you tell the difference between EAP245 and EAP265 HD ? I do comparison, but couldn't find any difference except it's name. 

Do you think its good idea, if we wait a little bit for EAP620 HD ? Since it's Wi-fi 6 and can handle everything better compared to Wi-fi 5, especially in crowded places like lobby. 

Hotel still under construction we'll should start buying Networking devices in 4-6 months. First guest should arrive in 10+month. It might worth, if we wait some month. 

Thank you so much for Network Deployment Advisor. It made things much easier. 

Options
2020-08-10 12:37:01 - last edited 2020-08-10 13:00:37

Boriy wrote
Thank you very much for informative advise. 

EAP235-Wall looks very good solution for each room. It has 3 ports and we can connect 1 Ethernet port to Smart TV and other for VoIP phone. 

We're thinking about static limit to 5mb/s since it should be enough for streaming FULL HD video. If we could find a solition, that will change it's speed dynamically (depending on bandwidth usage in real time), then no speed limit will be required. 

You're welcome.

Not sure what you mean with »changing speed dynamically«. Speed of EM waves in a vacuum equals speed of light (SoL), through air it's nearly SoL, through copper cable it's approximately ⅔ SoL.

What you measure as Mbps (Megabit per second) or MB/s (Megabyte per second, note the difference) is the throughput of data over a medium.

You probably know that real-world throughput of a WLAN depends on many environmental parameters such as interferences, available AirTime, protocols supported by both, the client device and the AP, obstacles between the client device and the AP, WiFi rate, etc.

Wireless clients negotiate a WiFi rate to be used with the AP and this rate determines the throughput (and thus the goodput, the amount of data per second excluding protocol overhead) one can achieve. This rate negotiation happens all the time, so WiFi rates can change during a session, especially if the client device is moving.

With Omada Controller you can limit the WiFi rate. This can make sense, e.g. to force the guest to stream videos on the smart TV rather than over the air on his smartphone.

Note that since the Ethernet ports of an EAP225-Wall are just bridged with its uplink port, rate-limiting the uplink port on the switch will affect both, WLAN devices and (all) cabled devices.

Beside rate-limiting, Ethernet is designed to share the available bandwidth (= max. throughput) equally between all clients according to their needs. When network congestion happens frequently, QoS might help to prioritize certain services. Maybe you mean QoS with »changing speed dynamically«?

If we have OC300 + free software Omada Software Controller, do we still need Omada Cloud Based Controller ? From information that I read, I believe we can control it remotely from anywhere, as long as it's connected to the internet ?

That's right, OC300 comes with Omada SDN Controller which can be accessed through the TP-Link cloud (imagine the cloud as a tunneling provider to the OC300). There will be soon a new cloud solution where Omada SDN Controller itself runs in the cloud, so you can link your devices directly to this cloud-based controller w/o the need for an OC300. For example, for my customers I provide an Omada software controller running in our own cloud and it seems that TP-Link now wants to offer this kind of management solution, too.

Can you tell the difference between EAP245 and EAP265 HD ? I do comparison, but couldn't find any difference except it's name. 

This question has been answered here by a TP-Link employee. If I understand correctly, the higher user capacity will be available in EAP265 HD, which probably will be sold for for a different price, otherwise there is no difference between EAP245 and EAP265 HD.

Do you think its good idea, if we wait a little bit for EAP620 HD ? Since it's Wi-fi 6 and can handle everything better compared to Wi-fi 5, especially in crowded places like lobby. 

If I would have to decide, I would wait for the EAP620 HD given that the hotel will not open for another 10 months, yes.

Options
2020-08-11 12:15:46

@R1D2 

Probably QoS might be a better solution to our speed limit. We just thought that 1gb/s might be not enough if most people start use internet heavily at the same time (stream, video call....).

I hope EAP225-Wall (wi-fi 5) and EAP620 HD (wi-fi 6) can coexist without any problems.

So in general we'll need estimately :

1xOC300

70xEAP235-Wall

2xEAP225-Outdoor

10xEAP620 HD

How many switches will we need to connect everything above ? 
1 core switch and 3-4 switches with 48port should be enought right? for the number above

Options
2020-08-11 20:29:00

Boriy wrote

I hope EAP225-Wall (wi-fi 5) and EAP620 HD (wi-fi 6) can coexist without any problems.

Sure they can coexist, why not?

How many switches will we need to connect everything above ? 
1 core switch and 3-4 switches with 48port should be enought right? for the number above

Depends on the PoE budget you need when providing PoE pass-through to guest devices. In worst case you would need 25.5 watts per EAP225-Wall depending on how you use its PoE out port. I would prefer 24 port (+4 SFP) switches such as the new TL-SG2428P, which is SDN-compatible and according to the specs has a PoE budget of 250 watts.

Options
2020-08-12 06:31:36
Thank you very much for informative advis. EAP 235 is very looking god solution for each room.3 ports wifi we can connect 1 smart tv and any phone. We're services about static 5mb/s since it should be enough for streaming smart tv,phone FULL HD video. If we could find a solition, that will change it's speed dynamically , then no well speed limit will be required.
Options
2020-08-12 06:58:12 - last edited 2020-08-12 07:01:38

NasirSheikh wrote

If we could find a solition, that will change it's speed dynamically , then no well speed limit will be required.

I still don't get it what you guys mean with »change its speed dynamically«. Speed of EM waves (wireless, cable, fiber) is a physical constant, it can't change, except you deploy a network in a vacuum in outer space.

It's all about throughput, not speed.

Wireless throughput depends on the WiFi rate negotiated between the client and the AP. WiFi rates indeed change automatically depending on envrionmental influences, interferences, available AirTime etc.

Wireless throughput can be rate-limited in an EAP, wired rate-limits can be set in the switch. QoS rules are present in WiFi modes 802.11n and above.

Wired phones can use a VoIP VLAN with QoS priorization. Note that QoS will take effect only if congestion happens on the uplink. If there is no congestion, the whole bandwidth will be used and QoS has not much effect.

Options
2020-08-12 08:07:39

@R1D2 

Each EAP225-Wall will be used to connect 1 Smart TV (Ethernet) and 1 VoIP Phone (using PoE).

Just to clarify, we'll need 1 core switch L2 for all settings and some Smart Switches depending on numbers of connecting devices. 

If we're gonna use TL-SG2428P, then we'll need at least 5 of them, since each has only 24 ports. Is that correct ? 

P.S I have no idea about the post above. I do not know him. Looks like some kind of spam

Options
2020-08-12 09:48:48 - last edited 2020-08-12 09:54:09

Boriy wrote

If we're gonna use TL-SG2428P, then we'll need at least 5 of them, since each has only 24 ports. Is that correct ?

Maybe the mis-understanding here is that you need 70 cables for the uplink ports of 70x EAP235-Wall. Their three Ethernet ports are bridged to their uplink, so you can connect up to three more wired devices to each EAP235-Wall which will use the same uplink to the switch.

So let's do the math:

You have 82x EAPs in total (70x EAP-Wall, 10x EAP620 HD and 2x EAP225-Outdoor).

Using three TL-SG2428P you could connect up to 72 EAP-Wall and use a fourth switch as the core switch, which connects the three switches and the remaining 12 EAPs. For the switch uplinks to the core switch you can use fiber, this gives you 4 more ports per switch.

OTOH you could use two T1600G-52PS, which – according to this post – will be supported by SDN controller, too. This switch has 48 Gigabit Ethernet ports. You could connect both switches directly to the gateway router.

However, it all depends on the PoE budget required by the EAPs and the VoIP phones you want to power with PoE pass-through of an EAP235-Wall.

Thus, find out max. power consumption for each device, add together all values for the devices to be connected to one switch and ensure that this switch has enough PoE budget to supply the devices.

Options
2020-08-13 13:39:23

@R1D2 

Awesome, once I get more information about numbers (how many of each devices we need) I'll share it here.

From what I understand, Ethernet cable need to reach every room, that has AP using PoE. In order to connect the farest room, we'll need a cable around 90+ meters.

If we connect 1 side to the switch and other to the EAP-Wall (90 meters far away), can it still send data without any degradation in speed ? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 13879

Replies: 119