Which product is right for hotel ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Which product is right for hotel ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
119 Reply
Re:Which product is right for hotel ?
2020-09-04 09:34:44 - last edited 2020-09-04 09:50:27

@Boriy 

What you're advise about 6floor, that have winter bar (inside building), winter restaurant (inside), summer terrace (closed in winter times)

Winter bar has 47 people capacity that can sit in chairs. And it's always open.

Winter restaurant has 120  people capacity that can sit in chairs. Also always open.

Summer Terrace has 84 people capacity that can sit in chairs. However, in winter and in rainy days it will be closed. 

In meal times, this place might be very crowded and we probably most people will be sitting and surfing web (instagram, facebook, tiktok) at the same time.
I wonder how many AP should be installed here ?

Here's the link for Web Autodesk Viewer:
https://autode.sk/2EvYfbE (copy paste)

You're welcome to check. 

Size:

Winter bar :                13.9 meters to 8.7 meters        (47 people capacity)
Winter Restaurant :    34.2 meters to 11.4 meters      (120 people capacity)
Summer Terrace :      34.6 meters to 3.8 meters        (84 people capacity)

Do you think having more AP with less Transmit Power is a good idea ?
Reason, if we have a hall with 30 meters and put 3 AP, so that each AP need to serve only 10 meters. In crowded place it should be work fine, correct ? 

Example, if we put 2 AP in winter bar, instead of 1, it should be able to handle traffic better right ? Because an avarage 25 people might be sitting here at the same time.
3 AP in Winter Restaurant, since it will serve Winter Restaurant and Summer Terrace, because Summer Terrace will be closed in cold weather days.

Options
2020-09-04 10:16:19

P.S

This solution also looks good. So the Ethernet cable will go in to wall and connect with VoIP phone and Smart TV

Options
2020-09-04 10:55:43

Boriy wrote

MU-MIMO solves this problem by creating 3 simultaneous connections to serve several users with 3 data streams at the same time.

Sure, if you connect with 1x1 MIMO client devices, but not necessarily if you connect with a 2x2 MIMO device.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-09-04 11:00:59

Boriy wrote
Winter bar has 47 people capacity that can sit in chairs. And it's always open.

1x EAP225 or EAP245.

Winter restaurant has 120  people capacity that can sit in chairs. Also always open.

2x EAP225 or EAP245.

Summer Terrace has 84 people capacity that can sit in chairs. However, in winter and in rainy days it will be closed. 

2x EAP225-Outdoor.

Options
2020-09-07 11:18:41

@R1D2 

Got it,  
Thanks for information.

Options
2020-09-27 13:59:13 - last edited 2020-09-28 06:57:43

@Boriy 

Hey guys,

Long time no see, hope everyone is safe.

Can you please check my topology ? (picture below)

We decided to go with Cat 6 UTP indoor for inside building. 

So here we have a Router that's connected to NVR, PoE Switch and Hard Drive Server. 

NVR = we have IP cameras and need them to store locally and also able to view from Internet.

Hard Drive Server (don't know the how to call it) =  Since Internet might be problem here (slow connection), we decided to have a 10TB server with 1.000+ movies inside, so if anyone wants to see a movie, they can just stream from our server and no need to use Internet (each room has Smart TV that has access to our local server)

PoE Switch with patch panel = IT expert told us to have a Patch Panel that connects to Switch, so it will be more organized and also easier for troubleshooting.

PoE Switch connect to IP camera

PoE Switch connect to AP

PoE Switch connect to AP wall 

AP wall connect to Smart TV

AP wall connect to VoIP phone

Each floor will have it's own switch and they will be connected to each other using SFP port with Fiber Optic

The questions that I still have:

1) If we have only 60 cameras, can we just have one NVR that has 64 channels ?

2) IP cameras and NVR might be from any brand right ? (They don't need to be the same brand) 

3) IT expert told us, that NVR needs to be connected directly to the Router. Since it's one LAN network, why we cannot connect it to a Switch ?

4)  Approximately how much bandwidth will take each Smart TV, that's streaming movie from our server ? It's still 5mb/s for FULL HD ?

I also included Pages file, if picture not clear.

P.S I forgot to add OC300 controller to the router

File:
Archa network.pagesDownload
Options
2020-09-27 18:29:11

@Boriy 

I like the idea with the movies streaming, so this will be streaming locally from your hard drive right? No need for internet.  Like to read answers to your questions from the experts here, this discussion is very educational been following from the beginning, good job!  

Options
2020-09-28 06:56:37

@Nek 

Yes, it's locally. 

Since our whole network has Gb bandwidth and each room has 100mb/s (from AP wall to Smart TV), everyone should be able to stream anytime with no problem at all.

Agree, these guys are awesome. Learned so much from them.

Options
2020-09-28 11:20:17 - last edited 2020-09-28 11:43:11

Dear Boriy,

I don't want to sound harsh. But do you want to tell us that your IT expert did just recommend UTP (unshielded twisted pair) cable, a patch panel and connection of a NVR to the router?

If so, this guy is all but not an IT expert, sorry to say.

What about the network topology? Bandwidth requirements? Network segregation? PoE power budgets? Necessary devices?

As for the cabling we had an excessive long discussion here already why for cable ducts and/or long runs one should use shielded cables, no matter wether it's CAT.5, .6, .7 or .8. Please realize that the reliability of every network depends on its weakest part, you can easily ruin the whole project by using unshielded cable to save a few cents per meter cable. And to be honest, the required cable type is nothing to worry about in such a project. An IT expert and even an electrician would just deploy shielded cables w/o much discussion about this. 

Regarding other trivialities such as a patch panel, see post #53, this shows a patch panel. What did the IT expert think how you wanted to fix cables coming out from a cable duct? Hitting a nail through the wire on the wall?

As for connecting IP cams to the NVR through a router, see post #18. You yourself have doubts that the IT expert's recommendation is correct. Why should you put a load of traffic from CCTV cams to a router, whose task is to provide Internet access, i.e. to just do routing? Of course, a real IT expert would work out a concept how to keep camera traffic away from the router and, BTW, away from the guest network. You do not want your hotel guests be able to hack a cam and stream CCTV content to their smart TV, do you? Another user here did recommend to use different physical networks for both use cases.

Somehow the whole discussion goes round and round here, we've had all these topics before.

Regarding streaming: I'm out of the streaming video business since long, but I remember what an epic fail it was when Hollywood studios did plan unicast streaming to the households of a big U.S. city (IIRC it was Denver) using TOP-100 super-computers 25 years ago. I worked at the manufacturer of those computers at this time and when we did present the requirements for the high-bandwidth fiber network, the faces of the film studio bosses froze. And back then this was only SD, not HD resolution.

Your IT expert could have told you the bandwidth requirements for streaming HD videos via unicast. Depending on the encoding scheme and quality they require around 5 to 20 Mbps for full HD and 10 to 35 Mbps for Ultra HD and 4K. Per stream mind you! Just multiply by 70 rooms for the worst case.

What did the IT expert tell you about the presentation layer for streaming? How would he set up things so guests could »just stream« from a server to a smart TV? Home theater software? Streaming software? Who will encode the 1.000 videos? What's about license fees? I'm sure there are solutions specifically for hotels, your IT expert just has to look for them.

Please try to find a real IT expert in your country who can present you a solution which leaves no questions open and who will guarantee you a reliable network concept which will work at the end, even if he has to troubleshoot this or that when unpredictable issues arise later.

I recommend to outsource this task completely to the IT expert, who then takes full responsibility for what he is doing. This is not something we can do here on the forum.

Options
2020-09-29 09:13:21

Is VLAN tagging supported on each individual port of the EAP230/EAP235 supported? Including from central Omada SDN management software?

Options
Related Articles