Which product is right for hotel ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Which product is right for hotel ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
119 Reply
Re:Which product is right for hotel ?
2020-10-23 10:58:39

@R1D2 

Yes, the more I talk to different companies and UTP cable, the more are telling that it would be okay. There telling they use it in hotels too and no problems was discovered....
Maybe it's something, that we do here differently. 

Let's have a rest from UTP issue for now, until we find another good consulting company and hear, what they say.

The reason, why I'm sharing conversation here, is that maybe you'll find something that I missed or do not clearly understand from chat.

IIRC you have outdoor EAPs at the summer/winter terraces, right? Connected to indoor switches, I assume? Using cables without proper grounding and shielding, really?

Since summer/winter terrace is not big and also located not to far from AP, we decided not have it. Guests can use indoor AP

Excuse my rant, but the gibberish of your experts annoys me enormously.

Sorry to hear that, but yes, it is what we heard from them.

Options
2020-10-23 11:09:37

@mobb 

Hi there,

You can buy 500 meters of  "S/FTP Cat.7A 1200 MHz  2x(4x2xAWG 22/1)" for less than 400$ nowadays. 

mmm......We live in a different part of the world. We asked few companies about cables, but the highest that we could find was Cat 6/6A.
Probably we don't have Cat 7 here or it's extremely hard to find.

P.S the only Cable that our local company (belongs to government) produce is Cat 5E. Which means, that Cables higher than Cat 6+ must be imported to here.

Options
2020-10-23 11:57:40

@bp1000 

All separation will be done through setting inside the switch. Is that correct ?

In other words, once everything connected and have connecting, then we'll need to separate them using the setting in Switch. 
So we can separate:

Cameras from public
And other stuff from public

Wi-fi should be treated seperate and PoE APs situated in the hallways of each floor, spaces roughly every 4 rooms. 

We thought about it, but decided if each room have their own AP, that would give them more advantages.

Potentially using 5Ghz when anywhere inside the room.
Smart TV and VoIP Phone and need a connecting and since AP have 3 Ethernet ports, we can use 1 for Smart TV, another for VoIP Phone and 1 remain open (in case, guest want to use internet using Ethernet cable).
Otherwise, we'll need 2 more cables in each room, in order to connect all of it. But now we use only 1 cable (from Switch to room AP).

Having PoE wall devices in each room seems like overkill, a lot of responsibly for 1 PoE device to take on and a nightmare for channel management and interference. 

But it was created for this purpose right ? I mean, each room has it's own AP, and all of it managed using Omada SDN controller. About interference, we will do a survey and probably put them in manual channels (1,6,11), and also since room is not huge, we might lower their TX power, in order to have less interference. 

make sure the patch panels are in a secure non public area 

No worries, we have separate room for all networking hardware. In other words, all router, Switch, NVR and so on will not be in public place.

same with the video camera network. Nobody should be able to removed a cable from a camera not intercept it at any point. 

Cables from switch to IP camera will not be visible to public. One end will be in switch and switch will be inside locked room, and no one (except IT expert) will have access to it. Other end will be connected directly to IP camera. Would be weird to see, if someone tries to take and connect to their laptop. Also it's around 5 meters (16foot) above the floor in corner, so if someone needs to take cable from IP camera will need lader (we do not provide lader to our guests). 

i can't imagine trying to configure 70 points in a grid 

From what I learned in this forum, it will be managed and configured using Omada SDN cloud. Or it's something that needs to be configured differently ? 

ps for high traffic areas as mentioned, you could eventually run with wifi6.

Once Wi-fi 6 will be available, we'll use them. We'll use Wi-Fi 6 whenever it's available in AP.

Options
2020-10-23 21:01:10

Boriy wrote

i can't imagine trying to configure 70 points in a grid 

From what I learned in this forum, it will be managed and configured using Omada SDN cloud. Or it's something that needs to be configured differently ?

Yes, you can easily configure 70 (and more!) EAPs using the controller. That's what a controller is for.

Even individual EAP-related settings can be configured in a batch using SDN controller affecting only a subset of EAPs.

No need to manually configure every EAP.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-10-23 21:12:39 - last edited 2020-10-23 21:13:41

@R1D2 

I am also using omada controller oc200 with fixed channels for each ap. Do you suggest using auto channel setting  for the controller to assign channels automatically? If so will this cut guests connection each time the ap changes channel for some reason?

Options
2020-10-23 21:49:38 - last edited 2020-10-23 21:51:40

Hi Nek,

depends on the installation.

Auto-channel sets the channel at boot time, it won't be changed during normal operation except for DFS channels in the 5 GHz band when detecting a weather or military radar with higher priority than RLAN. On most sites I manage auto-channel works fine if the EAPs are started one after another, but on some sites (the »rebooters« who have their EAPs being rebooted every day for whatever reason) fixed channels are better at least for the 2.4 GHz band, prefered scheme in Europe is 1-5-9-13. The 5 GHz channels @20 MHz channel width are non-overlapping, so auto-channel usually does a good job here.

If you want to set fixed channel on a large number of EAPs in a batch, make sure you give the EAPs meaningful names (room numbers or adjacent numbers), so that you can batch edit every 4th EAP to set channel 1, every other 4th EAP to set channel 5 etc.

Options
2020-10-28 12:23:10

Hey guys,

A few updates

We were able to find a company that has CAT6 F/UTP cables. We definitely can switch from UTP to F/UTP.

Since it's F/UTP does it also require grounding (earthing) ?
I've read in some website that it does, but few people said, it does not, since foil shield works like passive (does not require anything)
Some said, one 1 side (patch panel) needs to be grounded

What's your thoughts about it ? 

If F/UTP is the same as UTP but with more protection from electrical interference (EMI) and RFI (radio frequency interference), but like UTP easy to install and does not require additional things like special FTP equipment and grounding, that would be perfect replacement for UTP.

@Nek 

By the way, what type of cable did you use in your hotel ? You said it was Cat 6 wonder it was UTP/STP or FTP ?

Also due to some construction planning changes, we couldn't make space for Networking equipments in first and last (bar/restaurant) floors. 2nd floor will combine switches of 1st and 2nd floor, 5th floor will have switches if 5th floor and 6floor in one place.

Options
2020-10-28 12:33:14 - last edited 2020-10-28 12:42:01

@Boriy,

the cable shielding and its termination must provide a low-impedance path to ground. A shielded cable that is not grounded does not work effectively.

The cable shield works best when the signal lines are completely surrounded by a conductive »tunnel« that is completely at ground potential. That means it should be grounded at both ends (grounded at one end means the other end is working as an antenna at some frequencies making things even worser as with unshielded cables). But to prevent ground loops, both devices at the cable's ends have to be at the same ground potential (otherwise current will flow on the shield).

Options
2020-10-28 12:48:41 - last edited 2020-10-28 12:49:34

@R1D2,

Does it also mean that, not grounded F/UTP will be worse, that just UTP ?

Options
2020-10-28 15:17:59 - last edited 2020-10-28 15:23:23

@Boriy, no, but it just makes no sense to use shielded cable w/o grounding. Note that grounding is through the metal jacket of the plug, not necessarily a separate ground wire (but some shielded cables have a ground wire, though). The switch has a ground terminal for the chassis and this will be the ground for the cables.

UTP cables are most commonly used in the US, but in the U.S. they also still have power lines above ground. In Europe UTP cables are usually not used in infrastructure cabling.

Note that even in the U.S. ordnance standards require shielded cables with shields to be grounded at both ends (reference: MIL-HNDBK-1512, MIL-STD-1576, MIL-STD-1542, among others). Grounding at one end only to prevent ground loops has gone to far into EE designer folklore, so much that they even will ground coax signal cable shields at one end only with disastrous results. Grounding at both ends is the only way to intercept magnetic fields and reduce their coupling to the interconnecting wires including alien cross-talking.

I think you worry too much about one thing, which is actually the smallest problem in a network installation and – at least in Europe – a matter of course.

Use a shielded cable with shielded connectors, ground the switches properly and you're done. It is really not worth writing 150 posts about it.

Options
Related Articles