Serving of Portal Page by EAP225 if Controller were to go down

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-11 00:09:15 - last edited 2020-08-11 01:48:40
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest SDN Controller

Hello everyone,

As per the link below, if controller were to go down and for a case of simple click thru to accept terms, a local page from EAP will be served. But then down below, it states that for new firmwares that is no longer the case.

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/faq/1041/

Is there any workaround other than hosting a controller in the cloud? I am awaiting Tp-link hosted solution that might be made available in October, but until then, I will like to see a solution. I have few sites for Guest WiFi with an AP at each site and a OC200 will be installed at another site for APs to call home into. The site experirnces sometimes internet service outages and for that time, controller will be down.

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Serving of Portal Page by EAP225 if Controller were to go down
2020-08-11 07:08:38 - last edited 2020-08-11 07:10:12

dpsguard wrote

The site experirnces sometimes internet service outages and for that time, controller will be down.

If this site is disconnected from the Internet, its EAPs will be disconnected, too. To serve other sites which are still online there is no other way as to deploy a SW controller in the cloud, e.g. on a AWS EC2 micro-instance, which is even free for the first 12 months.

If the site owner pays for the Internet uplink (I suppose he does), he should demand a solution from the ISP at first, e.g. a backup link over a different medium such as UMTS or LTE. If there are issues somewhere – like Internet failures – try to solve the issue at the root cause rather than trying to cure symptoms.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Serving of Portal Page by EAP225 if Controller were to go down
2020-08-11 12:39:59

Thanks, There are few reasons of Internet service being unreliable at the site and we accepted those limitations and then signed off on. And I had said that we did not want to host on EC2 despite it offering 750 hours free credits. The FAQ listed that it will serve local webpage in case controller is down.

And I dont find any option wherein, we can set up two OC200 at two diffeent sites, with each EAP having primary and backup controller configured.

Seems like for such situations, APs should be all set up to work as standalone.

Very best,

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 536

Replies: 2