WIFI bottleneck on EAP 225 V3

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-12 03:11:20

Hello

Hello

I hope someone here can help me out here. I got Spectrum internet 400mbps service and I use their modem (just modem Not router). I have this modem connected to a PFSense computer as my main Router/Firewall. This have different VLANS and other settings, (nothing crazy and nothing for bandwidth control yet). From this PFsense it goes directly to a Cisco switch 3560 with the VLANs configured (without any speed control on any VLAN). I have a few items connected to this switch(another Switch 3560,  Dell Server running Hyper-V with few VMs, , One Plex Server, Alarm Web Interface controller, three physical computers and two TP Link Access point EA225 (these Aps are AC MIMO). There are all connected using Cat 6 Cable to cover my entire house. This APs is Controlled by the Omada Controller running in a Virtual computer inside the Server.

Everything is working (good signal, and all well communicating) my issue is the speed on the wireless connection devices. (TVs, Android Box, Tablet, Mobile phones, etc ). If I run a speed test on any computer connected wired, or any of the VMs, it gives me between 380mpbs and 390mpbs. PERFECT! Now the issue is that if I run a speed on any wireless device it goes up 80Mbps, (70mbps and 80mbps) on any device using wireless.  

So, I check few things, the controller settings for the Wireless Access points. The PFSense Settings, and nothing it seems to be blocking the speed. The funny part is, if I disconnect one of the AP and connect a laptop to the same port and run a speed test, it goes again to 370+mbps, if I connect the AP back in the same port and run the speed test on the same laptop connected wireless drop to around 70mbps.

So, I thought maybe was the AP. I change the AP to a new one, and the result is the same. For testing I connect a TPLink Deco P9 Mesh, I am selling now (since I purchase the roof 225 Aps) and it gives me the same results with the Mesh.

I honestly out of ideas. Because I am getting the speed on my house. So I cant say is the ISP. But only getting it to the wired connected device only. So 80mbps is not so bad, but I would like to enjoy the 400mbps I am paying for (or at least close to that speed) so when everyone is watching Netflix have enough bandwidth.

I know I am not going to get the full 400 on wireless, but it is possible that cut the speed from 400 to 70mbps?

trying to isolate the issue I create a new VLAN and a new SSID only on the 5GHZ. tag that VLAN to a new SSID, Connect my mobile to that SSID   so there is only one device connected on that 5GHZ SSID but gives me the 70mpbs. 😟😟😟😟

Later,  I delete all the SSIDs on 2.4. And run a speed test and still going up to 80mbps.

Here is the information I got from WIFI Analyzer

* SSID  YGOIMTS  (my home SSID there are 2 APs at my house controlled by the Omada Controller)
* Band 5Ghz only
* Channels on the three AP (44, 149)
* Negotiated Bandwidth 866mbps (this is on NetSpot app at the botton)
* Channel Width (80Mhz, 80Mhz)
* Signal strenght  (-44dBm, -75dBm)
* Distance (3m, 15m)

The ports in the switch where these APs are connected have the following configuration

interface GigabitEthernet0/21
 description TPLink Office
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk
 ip device tracking maximum 5
 power inline static max 15400
 udld port aggressive

Any suggestion where or how to check I appreciated

Options
1 Reply
Re:WIFI bottleneck on EAP 225 V3
2020-08-12 05:41:39 - last edited 2020-08-12 06:29:31

Yoel wrote

Here is the information I got from WIFI Analyzer

* SSID  YGOIMTS  (my home SSID there are 2 APs at my house controlled by the Omada Controller)
* Band 5Ghz only
* Channels on the three AP (44, 149)
* Negotiated Bandwidth 866mbps (this is on NetSpot app at the botton)
* Channel Width (80Mhz, 80Mhz)
* Signal strenght  (-44dBm, -75dBm)
* Distance (3m, 15m)

Set 802.11ac-only WiFi mode if your clients all support AC mode.

Signal strength of -44dBm is very good, this device should reach up to 640 Mbps on an EAP225.

Signal strenght of -75dBm is bad, it's approaching the levels where packet loss can appear.

You wrote »channels on three APs«, but there are only two? Anyway, 80 MHz channel width requires allocation of 16 channels from the selected subband. If there are other devices using the same 5 GHz subband, channels will overlap, interferences can occur and throughput drops.

As for measuring the pure wireless throughput of an EAP and the goodput which can be achieved under ideal conditions, see my post #5 in this thread. If you don't reach those values over a free line of sight to the EAP, I suggest to check for interferences and other causes around such as obstacles between clients and the EAP, nearby metal structures causing reflections etc.

Last but not least check the wireless card of the laptop/PC you use for measurements. Often those cards just can't keep up with the WiFi rates of an EAP225. If using Windoze, a driver update for the card (or a better WiFi card) might improve things.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 894

Replies: 1