Connecting 2 EAP225 AP's to my home router, have moca setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-12 09:29:23
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello! I just installed a MoCA network in my house with 2 EAP225's. 1st is upstairs on 3rd floor, 2nd is in basement.

I'm working to try to connect the 2 APs to my main router/modem combo (tower combo from Comcast X1) in order to create a mesh network for the whole house. So that there is just one name broadcasting that we can connect to on any floor. 

I have the App on my Smartphone which seems to only put the APs in standalone mode, which doesnt help me get to the mesh setup. I also have the program downloaded on my PC. 

When I try to Adopt from the Omada Controller software on my PC the AP just shows "provisioning" then "disconnected".

I am missing something here! The manual to trouble shoot it doesn't seem to help. I followed the instructions in the manual but it didnt help me progress at all. 

Is there an explain like I'm 5 option? Haha thanks! 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Connecting 2 EAP225 AP's to my home router, have moca setup
2020-08-12 10:06:06 - last edited 2020-08-12 10:14:40

Hi @SeanoH09,

first of all, you don't need a mesh network for roaming. You don't even need a controller. Some blog posts which claim this are wrong.

You can have basic 802.11 roaming by just setting the same ESSID (aka SSID) on your EAPs and ensure that they use the same wireless security settings (WPA2 key, encryption mode). They do not need to use the same channel or other modes. This even works with all APs, not only between EAPs.

Thus, you can operate the EAPs in stand-alone mode, which is the recommended management method for up to two EAPs.

Just connect the EAPs to your router's LAN ports, set the same SSID and security settings on bot EAPs and enjoy roaming.

If you want to use seamless or fast roaming according to 802.11k/v (which must be supported by your clients, too), you need to run a controller 24/7. I suggest to not use a PC for the controller, but an OC200 hardware controller.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Connecting 2 EAP225 AP's to my home router, have moca setup
2020-08-17 12:55:47

Hi @SeanoH09,

I'm not familiar with the Comcast router you reference -- I have FIOS and haven't had Comcast in many years.  But I do use MOCA and have for several years.  Most routers DO NOT support MOCA -- unless it is an Actiontec router from Verizon.  Not sure if Comcast recently added this capability -- but historically they did not.

So, generally speaking, you would require THREE MOCA bridges for the scenario you described.  One connected to COAX and an Ethernet port on the LAN size of your router, and the other two connected to your wireless AP's as you have now.

Comcast routers/modems are connected to COAX as well -- for their DOCSIS broadband link -- but this does not provide MOCA capability (historically).

-Jonathan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 934

Replies: 2