TL-R600VPN IP-MAC Binding - Block/Unblock Devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-26 13:17:43 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:56:35
Model: TL-R600VPN  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.0.4 Build 20200313 Rel.41831

Hi!

I would like to know whether the following is possible and if so, how to set it up.

I need to block certain computers during the night and the rest of the devices should be able to access the internet. The problem with those few computers are that they are used to run games, uses dynamic IP, and MAC keeps changing. Those are used by the kids at home. I can bind the rest of the devices (smart home devices) to their MAC and can use the "Permit the packets matching the IP-MAC Binding entries only" feature to allow 24 hrs access to internet. 

Can I ALSO have another rule to block those computers which are not bound (using time range) , to allow access to internet during day time and block during night time?

OR

is there another way for my problem?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:TL-R600VPN IP-MAC Binding - Block/Unblock Devices-Solution
2020-08-27 03:41:40 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:56:35

@MorrisAGE 

Can I ALSO have another rule to block those computers which are not bound (using time range) , to allow access to internet during day time and block during night time?

I think you can do that via Access Control. (need to configure IP Group and Time Range under Perferences first)

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-07 07:50:39 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:56:35

@MorrisAGE 

If I want to create an exception for just one device to able to access internet throughout the day, how can that be done?

Would this help if you do the following config?

1. Go to Preferences---IP Group, create the IP address ranges for the devices that you want to block, then add those IPs in the IP Group, say name it as "block_group";

2. Modify the access control rule, change the source to "block_group".

I have tried to create one rule to block all devices and another rule to allow that one device (which has address reservation and MAC binding) throughout the day but it didn't work.

I assume that this will not work because it has been blocked in your first "block all" rule.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
2020-08-27 03:41:40 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:56:35

@MorrisAGE 

I think you can do that via Access Control. (need to configure IP Group and Time Range under Perferences first)

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TL-R600VPN IP-MAC Binding - Block/Unblock Devices
2020-09-07 01:49:43 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:56:35

MorrisAGE wrote

Hi!

I would like to know whether the following is possible and if so, how to set it up.

I need to block certain computers during the night and the rest of the devices should be able to access the internet. The problem with those few computers are that they are used to run games, uses dynamic IP, and MAC keeps changing. Those are used by the kids at home. I can bind the rest of the devices (smart home devices) to their MAC and can use the "Permit the packets matching the IP-MAC Binding entries only" feature to allow 24 hrs access to internet. 

OR

is there another way for my problem?

@MorrisAGE 

Hi!,

Thanks for the suggestion but multiple rules don't work. Let me rephrase my requirement....

I have a wifi network and IPs are allocated through the router's DHCP server. I have an access control rule to block all devices from midnight to morning 5 AM. The router now blocks all devices. If I want to create an exception for just one device to able to access internet throughout the day, how can that be done? I have tried to create one rule to block all devices and another rule to allow that one device (which has address reservation and MAC binding) throughout the day but it didn't work.

Options
2020-09-07 07:50:39 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:56:35

@MorrisAGE 

If I want to create an exception for just one device to able to access internet throughout the day, how can that be done?

Would this help if you do the following config?

1. Go to Preferences---IP Group, create the IP address ranges for the devices that you want to block, then add those IPs in the IP Group, say name it as "block_group";

2. Modify the access control rule, change the source to "block_group".

I have tried to create one rule to block all devices and another rule to allow that one device (which has address reservation and MAC binding) throughout the day but it didn't work.

I assume that this will not work because it has been blocked in your first "block all" rule.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-11 13:53:43 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:56:35

@Yannie 

Tqvm.... today I managed to finish the planning of the groups (that need 24 hour internet access and those that don't need 24 hour internet access) according to your suggestion. I think that satisfies my requirements. Once again, tqvm and have a great weekend.

Options
2020-09-14 07:48:00 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:56:35

@MorrisAGE 

So happy to hear that it helps. Enjoy surfing the Internet. Cheers!

MorrisAGE wrote

@Yannie 

Tqvm.... today I managed to finish the planning of the groups (that need 24 hour internet access and those that don't need 24 hour internet access) according to your suggestion. I think that satisfies my requirements. Once again, tqvm and have a great weekend.

Options
2020-09-17 01:39:33 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:56:35

@MorrisAGE 

Hi!

Is there any way to order the devices in the DHCP client list based on IP address/Lease time/name? Now the list is random and we have to search for devices? Same goes for other places where the devices are listed....

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1606

Replies: 6